New Machine Build And now for something completely rediculous - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely rediculous

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand that my frame is to be heat treated after welding, before machining. I don't think they are doing it twice. We are not removing that much stock, in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-machinedprimed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob,

Yes, it has to be done twice but you are correct about the small amount coming off. if I do it any other way, it will spring on you in the summer or winter and you would not like that. So we did the following The Process was -
    weld, rough cut, heat the frame then allow to cool slow (stress relieve) several times, bondo and primer, put back on the double column bridge for finish machining. Finish paint then ship.... You will have it soon !!

Cheers !
    Kirk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kirk,

I am so excited about that thing I cannot think straight! That thing is just looking right. Thank you again, Kirk.

Small update: I have decided to go with the Galil Accelera series DMC-4080. With all of the modules and options that I would need on the Econo series, the price gap became very small. The DMC-4080 also allows me to disable limit switches during homing routines, and this will allow me to install less sensors on this machine. Wiring will become a lot simpler, too.

I should be purchasing servos/drives this week. Hopefully, I will be able to purchase the controller card in the near future as well, and start assembling the control system for this beast.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default updates

Just a recent update. The machine frame pics are from a week ago, should still be in the Pacific Ocean right now. The DMC-4080 arrived today, and I was able to power it up, connect to galil software, and get Mach3 to recognize it. Much, much, more to do.

Thanks again, Kirk. Can't wait to start bolting things to that frame!

Servo's and drives will be a while. I got the initial estimate, and tried to pay over the phone. Not happening. They wanted urine and blood sample, and 3 forms of ID (only kidding, but they did make me submit a purchase order, to wait for another quote. Definitely not dealing with ebay, here.) Should have the servo's, drives, cables and circuit protection elements within 2 weeks.

Rob

P.s. Anyone know if I can use my drives in position mode, when using this card?

Just wondering...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-dsc02534-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-dsc02535-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-19411376189_orig-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is so awesome. Is it staying white?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is staying white. My wife likes purple, so I may make some of the accents purple (pneumatic tubing, dust collection hose, tool forks for the atc, etc)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    It is staying white. My wife likes purple, so I may make some of the accents purple (pneumatic tubing, dust collection hose, tool forks for the atc, etc)
    Should look pretty awesome. When does the bolting-on being?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that I might see that frame here within 3 weeks. The other parts are, for the most part, waiting to be bolted on.

My friend just began the machine work on my carriage parts. I have completely redesigned it, to make it as compact and functional as possible. Once I get those pics up, I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks about it.

Cheers,

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

That control DMC 4080 is 8 axis, do you use all? I thought that you will use majectic machinery control since you made the table in their facility. How much table cost?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will be using 4 of the axis for Servo control, and one for spindle speed control/load monitoring. I intend to add an additional YZ carriage (with two more spindles) to the gantry at a later date (running mass produced items). These will take up the remaining 3 axis. The additional YZ head will be running as clones of the origional (same motion).

Having discussed this with Kirk (Majestic Machinery) previously, I can release the cost of the frame.

The frame includes vac table, and associated valving. Also, all rack/rail mounting surfaces were machined, drilled, and tapped. Heat treating, bondo, and paint were included.

Cost of frame (4500 lbs), gantry (600 lbs), and gantry supports (100 lbs ea), custom built to my drawings was 11,800 USD, FOB California.

Working with his engineers was simple. They had a few design changes, and they worked out for the better.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I understood that heavy machine and rigid, payed for the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

That thing should make some Big Chips!

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update:

I have been playing around with the galil card, in order to become more familiar. Some issues running it with mach 3, but I am confident all will be worked out over time. Most of it has to do with my limited understanding of the Galil settings (prior to running it with Mach), and the fact that there are no encoders hooked up to it.

Servo System came in today. 5 Huge boxes, well packed. Still waiting on most of the circuit protection, and the other braking resistor. These will be used on both x axis servos when decellerating.

I ordered the system with extra long cables, in case I need to move the control enclosure, or failed to plan correctly.

I have spent 85% of what I need to get this thing running. Almost in the home stretch. Then it will be all personal frustration and failure! lol.

Machine frame will be in California on the 5th of Jun, and enroute to my shop on the 14th of Jun. Definitely getting excited about that.

Aluminum work is in progress, and coming along nicely in some very capable hands. I will wait for more parts to be finished before I bore anyone with pics.

Cheers!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-servo-system-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for input on cabinet layout

Well, here goes... This part of the build is my greatest concern, seeing how I know as much about wiring a CNC cabinet as I do about classical woodworking... none.

Pictured in the top right corner is my 24VDC power supply for the Galil card. I plan on powering up a small bus/bank of 24V for my prox sensors, and relay cards.

The Servo drives will be positioned as shown, but with a 1" gap between each. Yaskawa recommends 10mm, and this will allow me to add 2 more drives in the future, when I get even more silly with this thang.

Below the servos, I am placing the CN-1 breakout boxes. These have cables that connect directly to the drives, and 48 (ea) terminals to wire up the encoder signals from the galil. I ordered 26-pin cables with flying leads to connect to the CN-1 boxes.

My intent is to have main power (220 VAC, single phase, 80 amps) to enter the enclosure in the top left corner. I have some power distribution blocks to channel the main power into the contactors and breakers for the individual servo drives. My thoughts are to keep the high current lines toward the top of the enclosure, away from the signal lines, which are situated toward the bottom of the enclosure.

I do plan on getting some DIN rail to mount the CN-1's, as well as my relay cards for my I/O requirements.

I have been advised by a few experienced builders out there to mount the VFD's (2 ea, 3.2 KW) in a separate enclosure. That is the plan for now, unless Al or Ger21 tells me otherwise

I have an ethernet jack in my wall right next to the enclosure, which runs across the shop to my control computer. I was origionally worried about noise in this line, but research on the internet tells me otherwise. Time will tell.

Airflow within this cabinet will be from bottom to top. The Galil board generates very little heat, and I wanted to protect it from the heat generated by the servo drives.

Please, if anyone is willing, let me know your thoughts on the general layout of my enclosure. I do not want to mess with the wiring until all components are safely bolted in the right place.

Also, frame should be here around the 18th of June. Sweet!!!!!

Thanks,

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-sspx0071-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

amazing work,
    this will turn out to be a very high end machine.

and dont worry this crowd does NOT get bored with pictures at all!

best regards
    Fernando

Downloads
    Uploads

Default wiring

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    Well, here goes... This part of the build is my greatest concern, seeing how I know as much about wiring a CNC cabinet as I do about classical woodworking... none.

Pictured in the top right corner is my 24VDC power supply for the Galil card. I plan on powering up a small bus/bank of 24V for my prox sensors, and relay cards.

The Servo drives will be positioned as shown, but with a 1" gap between each. Yaskawa recommends 10mm, and this will allow me to add 2 more drives in the future, when I get even more silly with this thang.

Below the servos, I am placing the CN-1 breakout boxes. These have cables that connect directly to the drives, and 48 (ea) terminals to wire up the encoder signals from the galil. I ordered 26-pin cables with flying leads to connect to the CN-1 boxes.

My intent is to have main power (220 VAC, single phase, 80 amps) to enter the enclosure in the top left corner. I have some power distribution blocks to channel the main power into the contactors and breakers for the individual servo drives. My thoughts are to keep the high current lines toward the top of the enclosure, away from the signal lines, which are situated toward the bottom of the enclosure.

I do plan on getting some DIN rail to mount the CN-1's, as well as my relay cards for my I/O requirements.

I have been advised by a few experienced builders out there to mount the VFD's (2 ea, 3.2 KW) in a separate enclosure. That is the plan for now, unless Al or Ger21 tells me otherwise

I have an ethernet jack in my wall right next to the enclosure, which runs across the shop to my control computer. I was origionally worried about noise in this line, but research on the internet tells me otherwise. Time will tell.

Airflow within this cabinet will be from bottom to top. The Galil board generates very little heat, and I wanted to protect it from the heat generated by the servo drives.

Please, if anyone is willing, let me know your thoughts on the general layout of my enclosure. I do not want to mess with the wiring until all components are safely bolted in the right place.

Also, frame should be here around the 18th of June. Sweet!!!!!

Thanks,

Rob
    general rule of thumb keep your high volatge lines out of your lower voltage wire ducts..... twist the low voltage wires in pairs ie step dir
    together per axis... this will reduce noise pickup... take the time to use wiring numbers on ends............and use a common star grounding point....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default update 4 July

Short update.

Bolted on Din rail for CN1 breakout boxes (yaskawa), and added some cable races. Looks pretty good with the covers on the cable races. Drives are bolted in place, as is the controller.

Plan is to run the main power to the upper left corner of the panel, through distro blocks, circuit protection, and mag contactors.

Tan cables are the extended I/O of the Galil card (box?). I am planning on placing a long din rail, with 100 + snap-on terminals. I will splice the I/O cables into that, as well as distribute some 24VDC for my relays, solenoids, and proximity sensors. Should be quite the mess!

Machinist hates me, but continues to toil on the aluminum parts. Fair warning: those parts are going to be some serious eye-candy for anyone who appreciates machine-work.

Cheers,

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-sspx0077-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

update 4 July
    uhhh, it's only June??

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ha ha! I must have eaten a bowl of Frosted Stupid-Flakes for breakfast. I guess sometimes I forget, that outside of machine designs/integration, there is a world going on around me.

What are your thoughts on the panel, Ger?

Cheers!

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Not my area of expertise.

Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. But, the machine I ran for the last 10 years had the VFD (10HP) in the center of the cabinet. I would think that with the appropriate filters (or whatever their called), it should work fine. But I'm sure it'll be safer on the outside.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast