My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log - Page 14

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit,

After reading about 80% of this build process today I'm sorry that to hear that you are stuck in a software/computer problem.

I'm sure many people will have advice for you, but the first thing I would check is the mode of the printer port. The bios may have the port disabled, or setup for a mode that is not compatible with Mach. That's just my $.02.

I'm sure you will have this up and running in no time.

Downloads
    Uploads

widgitmaster,

I don't have Mach3 on one of my three computers at the moment so I can't tell you which screen to change, but in EMC2 I have to change the setting for the e-stop pin to invert the signal polarity. Mine wouldn't do anything either until I discovered that the setting is disabled by default (duhhhh!). I don't even have the switch installed and wired yet. Once I changed the polarity the e-stop button icon will toggle when you click on it.

Until you get the e-stop setting working right there will be no partying in the workshop......

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    I have a ribbon cable long enough to reach the LPT port on the main board, and the pins on the breakout board.

In MACH3's diagnostics page, there are only 4-pins lit in green. The e-stop doesn't work, but the normally closed wiring tests OK! The motors don't spin, and I have no help other than waiting for a reply on this post!

MACH3 has no 800 number, and I don't have a clue where to start!

Maybe I should just sell the damn thing for $9000 and build another router, as that I know how to do!

Frustrated!
    Widgit

Hi Eric,
    I just saw your post and hope you've already figured this out. CarveOne's tip was a great one, that logic level setting gives lots of people trouble.

Also, check the settings on Config->Ports and Pins->Motor Outputs. The basic idea here is to match the pins on your breakout board (BOB) that connect to your Geckos. Make sure the step and direction pins match the BOB connections you use for our controller. What BOB are you using?

Have you read through the Mach setup document at: http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach3Mill_Setup.pdf

If you haven't figured it out yet send me a PM and I'll give you my email and cell phone.

The bottom line is you'll get this figured out quickly with a little help. There are many of us following your thread that feel we owe you a payback for the machining education you've given us. Chances are there may even be one close by where you live. If I was still in Sebastian/Vero Beach I'd drive right up there.

Gordon

Default Yes, Success!

With a lot of help from jalessi, with whom I connected via Yahoo IM! Jeff called me long distance for over two hours, as we debugged all the errors in my wiring and logic. By the time he was finished with me, we had uncovered three major problems! The most concerning was the Breakout boards silk screen which indicated a terminal as being common, which I had used as ground for my wire shields.

The other biggie was the absence of the config file for the breakout board in Mach3, when loaded, it had all the correct settings preset! Also one of the jumpers on the Breakout board was set wrong!

Now I need to get the little stuff, like the MPG which is tripping the E-Stop when turned. And the motor tuning!

All I can say is Jeff made a friend tonight, and surely earned my respect!
    Thanks you for all your help!

Sincerely,

Eric the WidgitMaster!

To be continued......

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks for your kind offer Gordon!

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear Eric, this beast is so close to making chips! Very exciting...

Downloads
    Uploads

I sure am glad to see that there has been some progress this morning. First thing I did after getting up was to log in and check on the progress.

Nice job guys.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Default One step backward!

This morning I rewired the Gecko's, which made the motors run!
    While debugging the system last evening, I realized I had the main power switch hooked up so the PC would turn off too! This was a pain as I had to exit all software prior to powering the entire machine! So my next task was to rewire the PC's power supply, so it runs independently.

While changing the wiring, on of the plastic fuse holders I got from RadioShack crumbled in my hands! So I ran out and bought another, only to have it happen again! The plastic was so brittle, that I couldn't push on the connectors! In a fit of anger, I drove to Granger Industrial Supply and bought six new fuse holders made by BUSS! But I forgot to get the fuses to match the new holders. The previous holder used AGC fuses which are 1/4 dia x 1 1/4 long. The new ones are 5mm x 20mm! So ordered them online, and will pick them up in the morning!

Already I'm having withdrawals!

So i decided it's a good time to drill holes in the table top to fasten the router, as it was sliding around during a test run!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3655-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3656-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3657-jpg   My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3658-jpg  

My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3659-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hang in there with this thing wigitmaster. These are just the normal "birthing pains" of a new build. Doing it in front of a worldwide audience is enough to put more pressure on you than needed. Sort out the problems one by one and you'll end up with a working machine (that we already admire).

CarveOne

CarveOne

Thanks CarveOne

Excellent!
    I have replaced all the fuses, fixed all the wiring, tuned the Gecko G202 trim pots, and have played around with the motor tuning. The tuning is difficult, as I don't know what I'm doing! So I plan on calling on some help this evening!

I have configured the Mach3 software to interface with the relay board, and the LED's go on and off as the M-Codes call for spindle & Spray mist! But I must have a problem in my wiring, as there is no current at the AC outlets. Annoying, but challenging!

So all morning I have been running the "RoadRunner" G-Code program that comes with the Gecko's, and I must say it is hypnotic to listen to the stepper's as they change speeds and directions!

This weekend I'll make up some nice T-Nuts, so I can mount a vise to the table, and play with some plastics!

This is starting to get interesting!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good Eric. Just one thought, If you are using solid-state relays, you might need a load on them before they'll actually switch. If you haven't tried them under load, plug in a desk lamp or something and try it that way.
    Cheers!
    Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit,

Do you have a current wiring diagram that you can post as something other and a DXF file? I don't have the software here to view a cad file, but I'd be happy to review your schematics.

I'm also curious if you have the MPG working yet? I was just wondering how you get it to select which access it controls? I see you only have one MPG, but you have 3 axis, is there a switch somewhere?

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Miata2k View Post
    Widgit,

Do you have a current wiring diagram that you can post as something other and a DXF file? I don't have the software here to view a cad file, but I'd be happy to review your schematics.

I'm also curious if you have the MPG working yet? I was just wondering how you get it to select which access it controls? I see you only have one MPG, but you have 3 axis, is there a switch somewhere?

-Chuck
    Hello Chuck,
    As for a schematic, I have posted that a few days back! My wiring is OK, as it appears the solid state relays on the relay board are not functional. The LED's on the relay board and on the Breakout board both toggle on & off as I change the state of the respective port pins. So the software is talking to the breakout board, and the breakout board is talking to the relay board. I have 120VAC going in, and zero volts on both NC & NO terminals of all four relays! So far NO amps have passed through the relays, so I have not fried them!

As for the MPG, it looks like MACH3 lets you click on the axis to jog, when you go into the JOG menu via the TAB key. The MPG is low on my list of things to fix, but I will keep my posts current!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New 24x24 V-Groove Router Design Log-100_3512-jpg  

Default More success!

The third Parallel port IO card arrived today, and this one installed with no problems! The strange thing is all three are identical, it was the bogus drivers on the CD that was a problem!
    After installing the dual LPT port card, I made all the changes in the MACH3 config pages. Now everything is working perfectly, except for the MPG & Relay board!

Widgit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is so exciting! I'm really glad to hear its coming together, thanks again for sharing all the lessons. Jim

No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's really good to hear wigitmaster!

Now you can hook up a 4th stepper and play cnc music files while you build all those copies of this machine for the folks who seriously want one.

Post some results of the speeds you get after tuning and show some samples of the cutting results.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    The third Parallel port IO card arrived today, and this one installed with no problems! The strange thing is all three are identical, it was the bogus drivers on the CD that was a problem!
    After installing the dual LPT port card, I made all the changes in the MACH3 config pages. Now everything is working perfectly, except for the MPG & Relay board!

Widgit
    What problem do u have with the MPG? also with the help of Jalessi I made work mine and since then I made work one I bought at CNC4PC, its easy, hook the MPG to two pins marked as inputs in one of your parallel ports, then give the mpg ground and 5V (most of the mpg are 5v, check yours) then in mach3 in the port and pins section go to the MPG tab and you have to enter 2 values for each pin, one is the port and one is A, the other pin goes to B. Dont worry mixing A&B if you wired them the other way when you move to the right it will decrease instead of increasing but thats all what could happen.

Good luck

Thanks!
    Because I unexpected guests this evening, I was unable to call Jalessi to work on the motor tuning, and the MPG! Hopefully he will answer my call tomorrow evening!

At present, the MPG is causing an E-Stop, but that's probably something simple to fix!

Widgit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

widgitmaster,it kinda funny a few post back you say "this is starting to get interesting" well as for me it has been very interesting...most every day..i check in to see what widgit has done to his new router...and almost every day you have made some real progress...but you are right it will get really interesting when you can get it to run something for you...huh? thanks !! some one else has already said it..but your a pretty good inspiration to me..some one who has machined for about 12 or so years...let alone some of the new comers..so thanks..

"witty comment"

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast