Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build. - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.

Default Re: Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.

I completed the epoxy pour yesterday evening. It looks good this morning with no leaks past the dams. Now just waiting for it to continue curing before pulling the dams off maybe tonight or tomorrow..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9189-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9194-jpg  

The Dams have been pulled. I'm real happy with how it turned out. Now just more waiting as it continues to cure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9195-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9196-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Loren - well done. Now you can top the bench and pour the pool table Peter

Pete, thanks! Next is doing the work on the table components while waiting for the epoxy to cure more.

The start of the table torsion box.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9197-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9200-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wait plenty of time before putting pressure on the epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Wait plenty of time before putting pressure on the epoxy
    Yes it is still very green.

I have been working on getting the table torsion box framing cut and dry fitted.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9208-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Loren - That's a serious torsion box! Don't leave the screw boxes in they will rattle. peter

My frame straightness gage. 2lb fishing line and 5 blocks cut from the same short piece of plywood. Right now both sides have just a bit of inward bow, which I think I can adjust with shimming on the internal blocking. My corner widths are right on the same measuring with my Starrett 16' tape.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9212-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9215-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9210-jpg  

All the joist and blocking are installed in the table. Started installing the base to table connection bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9223-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9222-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9220-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Loren - Like those big washers what are they from? Peter

Hi Pete,

Here is a link to the washers. I like them because not only are they big in diameter, but also thick. Helps spread the load out on the wood.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/91117A229/

Putting blocking inside the table frame work for lifting eyes, so if and when the machine needs to be moved the table can be hoisted off the base if needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9229-jpg  

Starting work on the aluminum base plates for mounting the linear rails. The aluminum plate will be bolted to the side of the table and then the rails mounted to the aluminum plate. It will give me more surface area for the load going into the rails beyond the rail foot print on the timber frame.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9231-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9230-jpg  

I had been waiting on some large syringes to arrive to do some epoxy shimming of the aluminum side plates. They arrived yesterday late and I was ready and did the first epoxy pour to create a “shim” between the frame and aluminum plate. The frame had just a bit of inward bow on this side. This worked out great filling the tapered gap.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-c0e58d1b-af7d-4a7b-8c22-6240e855f456-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-d9f34563-156f-4466-8288-6a2f929bf7c1-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-b96915d1-c082-4f31-8dea-c88affac8a6c-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-61b5fc5e-f427-4a00-bdc1-0d6a77fb6972-jpg  

Here is the "epoxy shim on the other side.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9250-jpg  

First linear rail and rack gear installed. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9255-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9254-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9256-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9258-jpg  

Finished the table frame with installing the right side linear rail and rack. Then installed the top sheets for the main table and lower rotary table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9264-jpg  

I have the material for the gantry pretty well all cut and started laying out the gantry column assemblies. .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9265-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9266-jpg   Working On A New "Timber Frame" Design and Build.-img_9267-jpg  

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast