Need Help! So I bought a unused/used "buildyourcnc" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I bought a unused/used "buildyourcnc"

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: So I bought a unused/used "buildyourcnc"

Sorry, you lost me here. What system are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman2 View Post
    Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a touchscreen to run their software. Is that correct?
    I don't think Mach3/4 or Centroid requires a touch screen, but both allow the use of a touch screen if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman2 View Post
    After further digging it looks like I need a different PC. They don't recommend using a laptop and my cpu isn't good enough.. Sure wish I had more computer knowledge!??
    Who doesn't recommend a laptop?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

centroid acorn site said it's not recommended to use a laptop.

But if you want to build, buy or use your own CNCPC here are the Centroid Primary CNCPC requirements:

1.) The PC CPU must have a SINGLE CORE minimum benchmark of 1500 for milling machines, 1000 for Lathes. You can look up a CPU’s benchmark # using this web site.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

Notice that this is the “Single Thread” benchmarks chart.
    Using a CPU with a single thread benchmark rating higher than 1500 is required for Mills and 1000 and higher for Lathes.

2.) While not required...it is highly recommended to use a SSD (solid state drive) We only recommend Intel or Samsung SSD’s

3.) minimum 4 Gig’s of Ram

4.) Windows 10 that is configured for CNC control use see Step 3. below.

5.) Ethernet port

6.) A 1920x1080 LCD monitor. 1920x1080 (HD) is preferred, other sizes with a 16:9 aspect ratio will work but screens may be shrunk to fit. Square 4:3 monitors will not work.

7.) Windows 10 should be set on USA English numbering system and region should be USA so number formats (periods in stead of commas) are correct for CNC12, and you will need a USA keyboard.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Centroid site says Acorn works best with a full 1920x1080p touchscreen and a fairly robust Windows 10 computer. I dont think any other platform is supported. All of my old junk is xp or Windows 7 but I think I may try out the Acorn on this RF-45 Im working on. What the hell, a newer second hand computer might be 300-400 bucks with a touchscreen, but in the end probably worth it, as windows 7 is about to be put out to pasture by microsoft.

It really does look like a nice platform. I like Mach3 and the smoothsteppers, Ive got 2 ethernet and 1 USB, but I really like the looks of the Centroid Acorn, and everyone that has used them seem to like them.

Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'll stop and see my local computer guy tomorrow! See what he suggests.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh, OK.

I'm not a fan of Mach3, but I have successfully run it on a laptop on one machine for a very low demand application, a feeding/filling system. Not sure how well it would work for actual machining. A lot of users are very happy with the performance of Mach3, but my one experience on a commercial router did not turn out well.

Centroid Acorn users seem to be happy with their systems as far as I know. I have no personal experience with Centroid products.

I have started using the mini computers (like the Intel NUC) for my equipment, and so far they seem to be working fine. Much more compact so they use less panel real estate and seem to be robust as well as relatively inexpensive.

You might try Acorn or Mach3 on your laptop and see how it performs. Maybe it will work for your needs. Worst case is that you would need to buy another computer.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look into the intel NUC. I'm guessing I'll need this laptop to keep bugging you guys and should give the machine it's own dedicated PC!! Can I get away with a lower end NUC? I'm going to go ahead and order the Acorn. It looks pretty interesting!

Last edited by Metalman2; 10-24-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 2 cents worth........most people want to run with a laptop because the screen and keyboard are in one place......if you are going to run a wood router with hobby needs I think a Win XP computer and Mach 3 will do the trick.......it works for me on a Skyfire CNC mill and I have a separate monitor on a jointed arm right next to the mill cabinet with a separate keyboard on a USB cable close by.....the Verizon computer is also next to the machine......that computer is about the size of an A4 page and only 50mm thick so it's ultra compact.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are right about new board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12