4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

Quote Originally Posted by Teknic_Servo View Post
    Hi arogers1987,

I’m an applications engineer at Teknic and I came across your post yesterday. First of all, I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty resolving this issue. While I’ve never used a UC300Eth before, I, or one of my colleagues, may be able to help you wire the ClearPath HLFB output to it. We’re happy to help sort out ClearPath wiring issues, but we probably can’t offer much when it comes to using the UC CNC software (you can view example wiring schematics on page 49 of the ClearPath manual located here: https://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ser_manual.pdf). In reading this forum though, there appears to be a number of friendly, knowledgeable people here that can help with the controller and software configuration.

I also wanted to mention that mactec54’s description of the HLFB output and his assertion that you can operate your ClearPath motors without wiring to the HLFB are both technically correct. That said, running without monitoring the HLFB output (i.e. not using it as an “alarm” input to your board) can lead to other problems. For example, I’ve seen cases–in an “HLFB unmonitored” machine–where one motor experienced a safety-related shutdown, and all the other motors continued the job because the system had no way of knowing about the one that shut down. This situation lead to a crash, resulting in a broken machine tool, a damaged work piece, and damaged mechanics (which were expensive and time consuming to fix).

Ideally, your ClearPath motors would be wired such that if one motor experienced a shutdown, the controller would receive an alert and immediately turn off the enable signal to all of the motors, and/or remove motor power, depending on your system’s features and capabilities. By wiring all of your HLFB outputs in series, as you described earlier in this thread, it sounds like that’s your strategy. I’d encourage you to stick with it if at all possible.

Please feel free to reach out to Teknic by calling 585-784-7454, or send us a contact request if we can help: https://www.teknic.com/contact/.

Good luck with your project!

Jim W. - Teknic Servo Systems Engineer
    The information I posted about the HLFB was posted by one of your Tec's that had posted on another site, the OP was just wanting to get it going and was having a problem with what to do with the HLFB , so the easiest way to get going was not to worry about HLFB until he was running and tested his machine

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Its been awhile since I thought about it but I used the same components to build my machine: CP servo's and UC300ETH/UB1. I landed my HLFB inputs individually on the E-stop inputs on the UB1. Edited to add: I tried to message you with the electrical diagram of mine but CNCZone tells me you've elected not to accept messages. Send me a message on how to contact you if you want and I'll send it. Also if I did it over again, I would daisy chain the HLFB signals to one input. There's no advantage to separating them on the board inputs.

Last edited by 1Jumper10; 08-20-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: clarity.

Great news guys, It was indeed user error as I suspected. The clearpath inputs are vaguely described as "input A" and "input B" to use for step and direction. I set step to A, direction to B, after spending quite a while rereading every manual for all the hardware I have, I found an example of Input A being used for direction and B for step - I configured my machine this way and everything works PERFECTLY!!! So stoked. Thanks again for support from everyone. I am now getting everything configured and tuned up!

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear! Did you figure out your homing/hardstop settings yet on your CP's?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Good to hear! Did you figure out your homing/hardstop settings yet on your CP's?
    Not just yet. Ill be working on that, VFD programming, and figuring out HLFB still this weekend.

Heres a video of it moving

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really smooth and responsive. And quiet!

Indeed! These clearpaths are really quiet! May I ask how you have your probe set up? Right now, the only probe videos/instructions I can find are linking the probe to a gecko drive (which I dont use). Is there a solution for connecting directly to uc300eth instead of a drive that I am not seeing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool build. Looks like you’re in the final stretch. I too am finishing a DIY system, and find your cooling of the spindle very interesting. Has this been proven effective on other systems? What model are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Floor View Post
    Very cool build. Looks like you’re in the final stretch. I too am finishing a DIY system, and find your cooling of the spindle very interesting. Has this been proven effective on other systems? What model are you using?
    Thanks! This is a thermaltake D5 pump/reservoir combo with a radiator made for computer cooling systems. I have not stress tested it to see exact max temperatures as I am still troubleshooting a few things with my VFD/Spindle, but I do see them being used pretty often for this application around this forum and others. I built a sheet metal bracket that is holding the radiator, pump/res, fans, and a few other things that is attached to the side of my Z axis.

So I am still stuck with a few things in order to get my machine fully operational. The main issue is controlling spindle speed with my UC300eth-ub1. I will post below a few pictures of how exactly I have things wired. My issue is no matter what I enter for spindle speed, the spindle will spin up to 24k RPM. I have moved the jumper on the VFD to use the pot, and that seems to work but while on external control its always 24k rpm. My assumption is the board is outputting a 10V signal from

Are both DCM connections on this huanyang VFD identical? I have tried to use both with the same result. I have also tried multiple frequencies for the spindle and none seem to change anything, If I measure voltage between AO1 and AH1 while giving a command that makes the spindle go to max rpm is 5V when I assumed it would be 10V or greater for a full speed signal. Maybe I am getting confused on something here.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build-2021-09-05-15-17-04-jpg   4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build-2021-09-13-16-36-02-jpg   4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build-2021-09-13-16-36-50-jpg   4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build-screenshot-2021-09-14-17-04-58-a  

Spindle wiring

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build-2021-09-13-16-35-31-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arogers1987 View Post
    Spindle wiring
    You can not change frequency's in the Drive they must match the spindle spec's doing so can damage the spindle

VI and ACM are for the speed control PWM to analog 0-10v does your Breakout Board Have PWM to Analog 0-10v output

FOR and DCM are spindle On / Off Yes both DCM input should be the same

What are you using the 10v from the VFD Drive for ??? or does the Breakout Board require 10v supply for the PWM

You must have the 0-10v working at the Board level before trying to make the VFD Drive do anything

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You can not change frequency's in the Drive they must match the spindle spec's doing so can damage the spindle

VI and ACM are for the speed control PWM to analog 0-10v does your Breakout Board Have PWM to Analog 0-10v output

What are you using the 10v from the VFD Drive for ??? or does the Breakout Board require 10v supply for the PWM

You must have the 0-10v working at the Board level before trying to make the VFD Drive do anything
    The UC300eth-ub1 does have the analog output named AO1 that I am using, the manual for my board says it can output 0-5v or 0-10v but I dont know exactly how to change that. I believe mine is set to 0-5V though from the voltages I am reading but that doesnt make any sense why the spindle would be running at full rpm with half the total voltage. Wouldnt it need a 10V signal to get to 24000 rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

The UC300eth-ub1 does have the analog output named AO1 that I am using, the manual for my board says it can output 0-5v or 0-10v but I dont know exactly how to change that. I believe mine is set to 0-5V though from the voltages I am reading but that doesnt make any sense why the spindle would be running at full rpm with half the total voltage. Wouldnt it need a 10V signal to get to 24000 rpm?

So life got busy and took a long break.. but I am back in full gear on this project! I did make some progress but I am not completely done setting up the spindle to work properly. My previous issue of my spindle going max rpm at all times was solved by changing PD070 to 0 (I think it was set to us 5v so it was getting a signal for max speed at all times).

I am definitely still having an issue with getting the spindle to go the speed I am inputting from UC CNC. I think it has to do with the PWM frequency and duty cycle for huanyang - have tried all different combinations on these settings and cant get it to stay close. The RPM goes higher, decays lower, and never settles on the right speed. For example, setting PWM frequency to 400 hz, S20,000=20,800 rpm displayed on VFD, S10,000 = 14,400 rpm, S5000= 11248 rpm and so on. For some reason these RPMs are not staying constant either but slowly getting bigger and smaller even by up to 1000 rpm at times.

Current spindle details and settings:
    220V 2.2kw huanyang water cooled spindle & VFD
    M3 is Pin 1 Port 1 in UC CNC
    Fwd on vfd goes to NO1 on UB1
    Spindle PWM signal in UC CNC is set to Pin 1 Port 4
    VI on VFD goes to AO1 on UB1
    ACM on VFD goes to AL1 on UB1
    10v on VFD goes to AH1 on UB1
    DCM on VFD goes to CM1 on UB1
    PWM frequency in UC CNC has been set to 50, 100, 200, 400, 1200, 1524 (these are all values I have seen others try), duty cycle has been set to 0% and 50% but still no luck
    PD001 - 1 (external terminal source of run commands)
    PD002 - 1 (external terminal source of operating frequency)
    PD003 - 400 (main frequency)
    PD004 - 400 (base frequency)
    PD005 - 400 (max frequency)
    PD006 - 2.5 (intermediate frequency)
    PD007 - .5 (min frequency)
    PD008 - 220 (max voltage)
    PD009 - 15 (intermediate voltage)
    PD010 - 8 (min voltage)
    PD011 - 120 (lower limit frequency)
    PD014 - 6 (acceleration time)
    PD015 - 12 (deceleration time)
    PD044 - 1 (allows external source to turn spindle on)
    PD070 - 0 (sets analogue input to 0-10V)
    PD073 - 120 (lower analogue frequency)
    PD076 - 0 (0=no negative bias reverse allowed)
    PD141 - 220 (motor rated voltage)
    PD142 - 8.5 (rated motor amps)
    PD143 - 2 (motor poles)
    PD144 - 3000 (set to spindle specs 60hz to 24000 rpm)

The UB1 manual says Analog Output 1 =y401(pin 1 port 4) (can be changed to PWM1 by solder bridge). I did not connect any solder bridge but unsure if this is my problem since I am able to change the speed within UC CNC at all. What if I wanted to use Analog Output 2 since its already outputting a PWM signal that doesnt need a solder bridge? The UB1 manual says AO2=PWM2 but this doesn’t tell me what pin I would assign in UC CNC to use A02 for spindle PWM signal. I tried pin 2 port 4 but it automatically clears fields when trying to save those settings.

Why are there 2 spots for DCM on the Huanyang VFD? Are they the same?

Can m3 or m4 (flood mist in UC CNC) be used to turn on my dust collection?

What should my kernal frequency be set to in UC CNC for a UB1?

I am SO CLOSE to making some sawdust it hurts. If ANYONE can help me solve these last few setup problems I would be eternally grateful. I was about to upload every single wiring diagram I have put together for my machine, but the upload on this forum doesnt like a single thing I have tried. It also appears the majority of the photos I have uploaded in this thread have disappeared

Update: After seeing someone use 1524 PWM frequency setting in UC CNC, I tried that and found it gets the RPMs somewhat closer to what I input, but still not good enough. It also keeps the RPMs stable at the spindle instead of cycling up and down slowly. Here is a youtube video showing that test. (Sorry about the audio quality)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12