Thread: 150x100cm Steel frame router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 150x100cm Steel frame router build

Your design is much better than flat plates

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nico - Thin square tubes are very stiff globally but not locally. You are better off having a very thick angle in this position then a thin tube. This area is shear dominant and you need thickness to stop this area deflecting. If you do want to use those tubes then they need capping so they do not lozenge... but I'd go a thick angle, thickest I could get.

Similiar theme - the pads that the rails are on need to go out to the sides. The little bit in between the radius and the pad deflects quite a bit relatively when you analyse it. Now is your chance to stiffen it.... Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-car-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-rails-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't really thought about local vs global rigidity. Thanks for that idea.

I did some quick simulation in F360 to see what will happen if I used angle iron vs tubing. The results confirm what you said. I didn't cap the ends to exaggerate the deformation. I think I'll go with 10mm thick angle iron with capped ends (10mm is enough for tapping holes in the ends for m5-m6 screws so I don't have to weld the caps). And a big bonus is that angle iron is a lot easier to work with in this situation.

For simulation I used 2000N of side force (along the X axis). 2000N in Y direction didn't show any noticeable deflection in the side risers, it was mostly in the gantry tube.

I'm getting a bit worried about the ever increasing weight. As it stands now, the gantry without the Z axis weighs 70kg/150lbs. I thought about using dual Nema34 9Nm motors in a 2:1 belt reduction setup to have at least 10 meters/m and without going over 500-600rpm. But whatever... I'll design for stiffness and worry about the drive part later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-2000n-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-side-load-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-side-load-close-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-angle-iron-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning Nico - 2000N is 200kgf. This is an unlikely tool load. I use 1000N as a design load a nice round number. To help optimise your design using F360 you need to pick a target machine static stiffness. VMC's run at 150N/um small routers are <10N/um. Some small hobby mills are ~2N/um. If you aim at 25N/um then you will probably in reality achieve >10N/um which is quite stiff and will cut aluminium. So taking your current numbers 2000N in "push" direction deflects 158um. So the static stiffness is 2000/158= 12.7N/um which is quite stiff for a router but your model does not include bolts, bearings etc which are compliant. So you may get 6N/um in reality. So the point is pick a machine stiffness target and this will allow you to decide where you need to gain stiffness.

The next thing to understand is structural loops. The usual loops on this sort of machine are the Z axis, the saddle, the gantry, the base. Each bit or loop will contribute to the global stiffness. The Z axis usually contributes most as its a cantilever. I hold the Z axis bearings and load that to calculate the loop deflection, then hold the saddle bearings (release the z axis restraint) do same, then the gantry bearings do same. In this way you can figure the proportional stiffness of each loop. Then the loop with the most deflection is the area you need to put work into. For instance my current design the Z axis deflects 30% the gantry is 30% and the base is 30%. Initially the Z was 50% of total so had to work on that. Keep making Peter

Re: weight - you do have the tools to reduce weight, define what you want to cut then you will be able to define a design machine stiffness then you have a target to chase to reduce weight yet achieve stiffness. You did pick steel which is the "heaviest" material!!

Its been very difficult getting info on modern machine stiffnesses especially routers. The image attached is from a very old research doc and modern machines are much stiffer then his chart suggests. I have sent inquiries to various toolmakers but they don't answer the question. They specify everything else it seems odd that they would not specify machine stiffness when its such an important thing. One large machine maker actually replied that they do not know!!

Looking back at your #1 post you want to cut hardwood and Al. Al is the killer so you will need a machine of at least 5N/um and I would aim at a machine design stiffness of 15N/um maybe 25N/um up front and see how you go. You will not achieve commercial mill stiffness values.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-stiffness-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 05-05-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - 10m/min is easy to achieve even with small motors. Its the acceleration to get there that requires the torque. Can't do the motor sizing until you know the structure masses and what accel you want/need so keep at it Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

An interesting gantry design I've found online.

I haven't seen anyone use triangular gantry even though a triange is a strong shape that resists change in it's shape more than the rectangular/square beam.

Are there any obvious flaws with this design that I'm overlooking? Or is the lack of this design being used just a result of the lack of the availability of this beam; or that you have to produce it yourself from plate.

I don't have the time now to do any simulations, would a 200x200mm triangualr beam be stronger than 200x200mm square tubing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - There are commercial machines that use triangles and it is a very good design. I've done a lot of analysis on gantries and if you can make the shape then its a good shape to use. Its not about strength its about stiffness. A Sq or rectanglar tube "lozenges" due to the shear loads. This means you have to use thick walls or thick corners to stop this., The tri design is locally stiffer in this case. Cheers Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the easiest way is to laser cut all the parts and than weld them and heat threat it?

Or maybe CNC bending a flat sheet while leaving the ends in such a way as to bolt them together...

I now see why I haven't seen this design anywhere

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - If you are using Fusion360 you can run a simulation to see what an optimum shape maybe. I haven't done it on a gantry but plan to. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I think Peter said in another thread that it's better to spend 500 hours in CAD than to spend that time in the workshop and thousands of dollars to figure out that something is wrong with the design.

Since my decision to mount the rails on the side I've investigated the accuracy of the machine that will make those sides parallel. It turns out the machine isn't that accurate; across the whole length they can't guarantee parallelism of more than +- .3mm. If my gantry was made from aluminium that could probably work, but with a rigid steel gantry I think that error would put a LOT of pressure on the bearings. I could shim the rails to make them parallel but what was the point of machining them?!

So I've came up with another design. I'll still use their machine (since they'll do it for cheap for me) to make my construction flat for mounting linear rails. I think this is an interesting design. It prevents a big problem most routers have and that's sawdust and chips falling on the rails and ballscrews. Here they are completely covered.

But I have a dilemma. I hate that I have this cantilevered portion of the table top. I intend to use 1" - 1,1/2" aluminium plate here (20-30mm). Is this going to make some problems that I'm not aware of? Only during drilling operation you have a straight down force on the table...

I could raise the top an inch more and bolt some angle iron underside the table to give it some support against flex and vibration...

What are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-without-top-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-topless-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-cnc-front-close-jpg   150x100cm Steel frame router build-cnc-front-jpg  

150x100cm Steel frame router build-close-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - Its a good design and used on commercial machines but the columns get longer and less stiff. Your Z axis will be quite wide and you won't be able to get over to that area to "push" down on. But it will make a good clamping area or rest space for parts. If its 1" plate it will be very stiff but check if the tool can actually get here. Here's a similar bed idea... Peter

I have run some shape generations in Inventor for fun and if you start with a square solid it makes it hollow with thick corners. It keeps the ends on ie capped and it makes a rib behind the bearings from one side to the diagonal other. This can't be done in reality as the Z axis moves. I have not started with a triangular section yet to see what happens. I have Inventor which runs the same isogeometric analysis as F360 does. But why not go high rail? (like you had originally sort of medium rail) makes it stiffer and puts the rails and cars up out of the muck?? The sides contain dust and all round I think its a better config. Its remarkable the stiffness you gain for not much effort using high rails...Just means you have to load from the front... or rear

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-good-bed-design-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 05-21-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Chips and dust are not that big of a problem.

Don't make a weak design just to try to avoid dust.

Linear bearings have good seals. You can cover them with bellows.

You should trap the dust at the source.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Chips and dust are not that big of a problem.

Don't make a weak design just to try to avoid dust.

Linear bearings have good seals. You can cover them with bellows.

You should trap the dust at the source.
    This is good advice,not just for the health of the bearings,but also for the good of the people around the machine.It isn't too hard to arrange extraction from a brush sealed zone around the spindle and there are all sorts of designs out there if you do a little searching.If you work with several different thicknesses of material,you will have to use slotted mounts and adjust to suit.

DIY project: Some cool dust shoe designs
    https://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-router-dust-boot/

Downloads
    Uploads

I was at a scrapyard today and I saw a 200cm piece of square tubing thats 250x250x10mm. Thats 10x10in and 1/2in thick.

Is that an overkill for this design? My main concern is the weight since the pipe alone would be 100kg...

Or should I just go with 200x200x6 as everyone else?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - if its scrap value then its cheap stiffness. No one has ever said "my machine is too stiff!". If you haven't bought the motors or worked through the motion requirements then the extra mass is not a great problem you can get bigger motors or run it slower. But 200x200x6 is stiff. 200x200x10 or 12mm would be good... up to you. Go high rail design? Then the mass of the columns is removed and the 250 is big enough to put bearing bolts "inside" Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Niko - The 250 tube is 1.68x stiffer then the 200x200 and you can mount the bearings inside of it if you go high rail. cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-250x250-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Niko - The 250 tube is 1.68x stiffer then the 200x200 and you can mount the bearings inside of it if you go high rail. cheers Peter
    Omg! Thank you for your effort. Your posts are always very helpful.

Unfortunately I can't go high rail. I've commited to have the rails below the table so I can have a 1m wide machine since that's the maximum width the gantry mill at a company nearby can machine.

I can get the tube for 80$, but my biggest concern is the weight... since I have NO experience with stepper motors and ballscrews etc.

I'll have two 8.5NM hybrid steppers driving the gantry which would be way over 100kg, with Z axis close to 150kg. I'll go with 2010 ballscrews and maybe I'll go with driven ballnut design if I have the time and patience to see that through...

Downloads
    Uploads

The larger size tubes can be a bit of a monster to work with.

Always good to take a long straight edge with you when you go to look at scrap, not all tubes are equal.

I actually need to make myself something with a chainfall to lift and position heavy tubes and roll them around.

Did you mention that you have someone who can mill the tube surfaces flat?

So how long is your gantry? It's going to have a travel of 1000mm?

From a purely math perspective, I don't see a huge problem with the weights you're talking about. If anything, I think you might be a little light on adding it all up with the larger tube size. What kind of a spindle are you using?

Overkill for a wood cutting router, but the motors should move it around from a mass perspective.

Two thoughts that might be helpful, based on what you have made so far, have you see Linux_Fan's build thread?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncat...aluminium.html

You could make a gantry just like that one. Plus that one is nice and damp with the epoxy concrete.

2nd thought, have you bought all of your motors yet, or do you just have the two?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...69541028.html?

I'm considering using the 400W version on one of my projects. But the link I posted is to the 660W, I believe it's a Nema 34 frame size. With 2:1 belt driven gear reduction on a 10mm lead screw, it might be a beast.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nico - Since you have force concerns here's a quick force calc. You have a 8.5Nm motor which has about 4.25Nm torque at 500rpm (midspeed - do you have a torque speed chart?) Earlier you say the lead is 10mm so at 500rpm you have 245kgf per motor. At slow speed you have over 500kgf per motor. So I think that's enough. Your next question is the required accelerations but your a bit away from that yet it seems (then we have to consider the rotational inertias) . So your rapids will be in the order of 5m/min. The hybrids do run faster then std steppers so rapids maybe 10m/min. Keep at it....Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150x100cm Steel frame router build-force-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

NiC77:

I've bought the tube today and I now realize what you are talking about... a 135cm piece of tubing is 220lbs/100kg

I haven't bought the motors yet. I thought about putting a 2:1 reduction on a 8.5Nm Nema 34 since they are terrible at speeds close to 1000rpm

I've found a 3KW spindle and VFD for $250 so that's what I'll use for now... if I decide to mill aluminium I'll buy BT30 spindle for that. Since I'll drive the X axis with a driven ballnut I can have multiple Z axis (what's the plural of axis?)

I'm sorry now that I had to go away from a high rail design since that would be much more rigid than this setup...

I'm guessing the weakest link would be those pieces of angle iron connecting the gantry to Y axis; I'll go with 100x100x15mm angle iron to make that part as solid as possible.

Thanks for your help. Your opinions and advices mean a lot!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast