4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build

Do you have a cost estimate for all the wood?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Crhis for the diagram. That's exactly what I needed. I'd love to build the whole thing out of steel just like yours but I have neither the skill or the proper equipment to build and move it around.

I observed that the machine rigidity has less to do with the build material (steel, AL extrusion, wood) and more with how each part is interconnected. Welded steel has the most solid connection but welding stresses/distorts the metal. Extrusion with T-nuts alone isn't very good if it relies only on friction between two surfaces. Epoxy with t-nuts will get AL extrusion close to welded steel rigidity. If epoxy isn't possible, perhaps a layer of fine grit adhesive-backing sandpaper between the two mating surfaces would improve its connection rigidity. Weight is also important in damping any vibration caused by gantry inertia. However, weight is probably better added at the base, not the gantry. I plan to add some concrete blocks to the base when everything is done.

GaryLa - I use about 55-60 linear feet of 16ft wide LVL. Those tends to run about $9-12/ft retail. I got the wood from craiglist for free but the wood had some damages and had to be dressed. You'll find LVL on craiglist from time to time for very little money, especially the shorter sections.

Here is a picture of me cutting the steel stretchers - all 8 of them at the same time. The saw did not like it but I need to make sure they are all at the same length.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-cutting-steel-stretchers-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-cutting-steel-stretchers-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cut slots for housing the nuts to bolt down the extrusion/steel frame. It is about 2" from the top, 2" wide, 1-1/4" deep, and 1/2" in height. The width of the slots (2") allows some degrees of freedom for a simple wrench to tighten the nuts.

The slots were cut on both sides of the aprons in an alternative fashion (1 inside and 1 outside) because I messed up and did not anticipate enough room for the domino xl to move around, and thus could not cut both inside. It would have been nicer to have both hidden on the inside of the aprons. There are 15 slots on each apron. The bolting holes will be drilled through the apron once the steel plates are glued on.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-apron-slots-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-apron-slots-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use PL 8X to glue on the steel plates. The 8X is pretty thick and helps fill some small gaps. Notice the holes have been drilled into the plates on my drill press. I'll use these as guide to continue the holes into the aprons.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-steel-glue-jpg

Only 4 stretchers are glued on for now. The other 4 will be glued on after pouring leveling epoxy because those will not have epoxy on them. Using lots of clamps

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-steel-frame-clamps-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-steel-frame-clamps-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-steel-glue-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made a change to the plan regarding the leveling feet. I decided to use leveling casters to help with moving the whole machine into is final space. I had these casters for a long time. They are supposed to be able to handle about 3200lb/2 pairs or 800lb/ea. They are stem mount (12mm stem) so I just drill and tap 12mm center holes. I hope the 8 casters can keep up with a total weight of about 1300lb. I made the screw in plates out of left over 3" steel bars. The whites plate was used previously with leveling feet made out of hockey pucks.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-leveling-plates-jpg

After installing the casters, I was able to easily move the base around. Total weight of the base is about 500lb at this point. The casters have no problem with it. Here I'm leveling it down once final time in preparation for epoxy application.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-leveling-frame-casters-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-leveling-plates-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-leveling-frame-casters-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats coming along very nicely!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had troubles getting the precision cast epoxy. They seem not to care too much about selling to a DIY guy like me and keep pushing back the pick up date. So I switched to using West System epoxy, 1 gal of 105 resin and 0.33gal of 207 hardener. The 207 was recommended to me by 1Jumper10 who contacted the manufacturer before and that was their recommendation as well. Total cost was about $160, saving me over $100 compared to precision cast. I made the mold out of 1/4" scrap plywood and re-sawed 2x4. I taped the inside of the wood with electrical tape to make it easier to release the mold later. I used little dots of CA glue to hold the mold to the iron plates and caulked it with silicon caulk.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-west-system-epoxy-jpg

I had some 105/205 combo on hand so that's what I used to seal and leak test the form. Using a small syringe, I deposited small amount of epoxy along the walls of the mold and watched for leak. There were quite a few, even after caulking it first. It took two rounds to finally plugs all the leaks - well, all but one. As I poured in the epoxy, I noticed some dripping at a corner and had to use a piece of cloth and a clamp to plug it.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-small-epoxy-leak-jpg

I poured the resin into a 5 gal bucket, added the hardener, and mixed them with a hand drill mixer for about 2 minutes. After pouring, I use a small sharp pick to pop all the bubbles I could see. I spent sometime watching it and making sure there isn't any more leak. The epoxy generated quite a bit of heat as it cured.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-pouring-epoxy-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-west-system-epoxy-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-small-epoxy-leak-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-pouring-epoxy-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I waited about 16 hours before taking apart the wooden mold and clean up the epoxy. There were quite a few small bubbles so I use a flat plate and sand paper to lightly sand down the bubbles. I also spent some time cleaning up the raised meniscus. It is more than I thought, probably 3/32 high and 3/32 wide. I first used a chisel to pare down the top part of the meniscus and a block plane to plane it flat. I use a 39" straight edge (.003 straight over entire length) to test the flatness of the epoxy and it's almost spot on, within .002, probably due to the small bubbles that I have not sanded all the way down. Overall, I'm happy with the result.

On the stretchers that did not have the epoxy poured on, I made some spacers to raise it even with the epoxied stretchers.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-clean-epoxy-jpg

Here, the rest of the steel stretchers were installed. I glued them down with PL 3X construction adhesive. To improve the bond between the epoxied frame and the long aluminum extrusion (80/20 4012) rails, I use 120grit PSA sandpaper to line the paths where the rails would sit.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-sandpaper-lining-jpg

and here I'm preparing the HGR25 rails to be mounted onto the aluminum extrusion. Lots of screws and t nuts (50/rail). The best place I found for getting these t nuts is eBay from China. It took about 2 weeks so plan ahead.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-mounting-hgr25-rail-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-clean-epoxy-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-sandpaper-lining-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-mounting-hgr25-rail-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I installed the profile rails and initially use the top surface of the aluminum rail to roughly mount it. Afterward, I jig up the gantry riser to allow me to indicate off the epoxy surface to adjust the linear profile rails. What surprised me was that the flatness/straightness of the aluminum rail. It is about +/-.004 as compared to the epoxy surface. The adjustment was pretty straight forward. I was able to easily get the profile rail to about +/- .002 parallel to the epoxy surface over the entire 9ft length. For a cnc wood router, I'm content.

My plan is to tighten down the far side rail to the base frame and adjust the profile rail parallel to the epoxy surface, leaving the near side rail floating. The gantry would be installed and used to adjust the near side rail so that it's parallel to the far side. After that, the near side rail will be tighten down, and its profile rail adjusted for parallel to the epoxy surface.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-profile-rail-adjustment-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-profile-rail-adjustment-jpg  

Frame looks great. I spent far too little time in designing my frame and wound up having to do more reinforcement after I got my machine going.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made the same mistake with my first CNC as well. Therefore, I'm doing everything I can to maximize the rigidity of this system. The speed and accuracy of a CNC machine greatly depends on its rigidity.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was waiting on some parts for the electronic portion of the build. The gantry supports were installed and adjusted for plumb/square.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-prep-jpg

After the gantry and Z axis were installed, I used a dial indicator to adjust the top linear rail to be parallel to the epoxy. I got it to be about 4-5 thous over the entire length.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-testing-jpg

I also tested the Z axis for squareness against the table base (resting on the epoxy).

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-squaring-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-prep-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-testing-jpg   4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-squaring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

What's the latest on your build???

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by javabugz View Post
    I was waiting on some parts for the electronic portion of the build. The gantry supports were installed and adjusted for plumb/square.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-prep-jpg

After the gantry and Z axis were installed, I used a dial indicator to adjust the top linear rail to be parallel to the epoxy. I got it to be about 4-5 thous over the entire length.

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-testing-jpg

I also tested the Z axis for squareness against the table base (resting on the epoxy).

4x9 CNC Wood/Steel/Extrusion build-gantry-squaring-jpg
    Nice build i was wondering how did u attach the aluminum extrusion to the actual frame ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you ever get this machine finished and up and running? What motors did you end up with and electronics?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hacker7 View Post
    Did you ever get this machine finished and up and running? What motors did you end up with and electronics?
    Yes please, with video. Beautiful build!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12