Build Thread BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router

Thread: BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router

Default BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router

Hello Everyone,

Like others I've been lurking here for a couple months, but haven't posted anything. Last July I decided I wanted to build a router and this forum has been a wealth of information, so thank you to everyone for posting their experiences.

I'm going to be starting my build soon (hopefully this coming weekend), but before I do wanted to start this thread so that I could share what my intentions are to build. I've never worked with CNC equipment so any feedback is appreciated.

It's going to be a 4' x 4' router built using 3060 aluminum extrusion and steel tubing/plates. It'll start out with a wooden base (budget reasons), but that will get upgraded eventually. The idea was I wanted it to be expandable/modular while still retaining rigidity. I know those don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, but I'm trying to balance it. I did some load studies in Fusion 360 and it showed very little deflection, so we'll see...

Eventually, I want to expand it to an 8' x 4' machine and add a rotary axis. The bed frame (can't think of a better name...) that my spoil board will sit on can also be moved up or down 3" to provide extra Z-clearance if I want it or provide room for a vacuum table without sacrificing the current Z-height. The first image below is with it up high and the second image with it lowered.

The gantry supports are 3/8" steel, but made up of 4 separate pieces and welded throughout. The steel plates that make us the Z axis are 1/2" thick and all of it will be powder coated.

Here is a short list of components that I intend on using and some images of the 3D model I came up with. I've purchased some of the components, but it's not too late to make changes. I look forward to using this as a platform to share the build process. Please let me know if you have any feedback or recommended changes.

- CNCRP PRO Rack & Pinion components for X & Y Axis
    - 1605 Ballscrew for Z Axis
    - 465oz (6A) NEMA 34 Stepper Motors
    - 48V Power Supply
    - Masso Controller
    - TBI-TRH20 Linear Guides
    - 2.2kW air cooled spindle and VFD

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-router1-jpg   BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-router2-jpg   BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-router3-jpg   BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-router4-jpg  

BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-routerrender1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router

Hi - I like your gantry uprights. They make efficient use of their space and will be very stiff with forces in the left-to-right direction. But you might want to add a gusset that runs from the bottom of the gantry down and out to front linear bearing. That would stiffen it in the front to back direction. Also have a plan to true them up after they are welded. Welding warps. I built welded uprights for mine and compensated for this with conformal shimming with epoxy. You'll also want to build in some accommodation for adjusting squareness. I'm not familiar with the MASSO controller so I have no opinion. But I can whole heartedly recommend UCCNC software with a UC300ETH controller and a UB1 breakout board. Good Luck with your build.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Hi - I like your gantry uprights. They make efficient use of their space and will be very stiff with forces in the left-to-right direction. But you might want to add a gusset that runs from the bottom of the gantry down and out to front linear bearing. That would stiffen it in the front to back direction. Also have a plan to true them up after they are welded. Welding warps. I built welded uprights for mine and compensated for this with conformal shimming with epoxy. You'll also want to build in some accommodation for adjusting squareness. I'm not familiar with the MASSO controller so I have no opinion. But I can whole heartedly recommend UCCNC software with a UC300ETH controller and a UB1 breakout board. Good Luck with your build.
    Thanks for the comments. I had a gusset there originally but removed it so it wouldn’t limit the travel of the Z-axis assembly across the gantry. I extended the side supports down as far as I could as a compromise, but i think you’re right, it probably needs more reinforcement in that direction. Do you think boxing in the pseudo i-beam portion of the upright or adding a spine on the back would be good enough? If not, I’ll have to think about how to do the gusset without limiting the travel.

I worked as a welder in college, but that was over 10 years ago so I found a fabricator to do most of the welding for me. It actually worked out well as they are providing the material and doing some of the initial fabrication for about the same price as I could source the material myself. Once I finish the rest of the fabrication, they will powder coat all the steel parts.

My initial thoughts for shimming was to use SS shims, but a lot of people seem to like the epoxy route.

I couldn’t find as much feedback as I liked on the Masso, but I like that it doesn’t require me to get another computer just for this application. I’ll try it out and if it’s a bust I’ll definitely look at the UCCNC.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I think a spine on the back would probably be fine. One thing I wish I would have done on mine was make the gantry a little wider so the Z axis could travel a little ways outside the work envelope. I use a fixed reference point for auto tool length setting and since I didn't make the gantry wide enough, to do this on mine I had to use a corner of the bed. It hasn't been in the way yet but I can no longer fixture a full sheet of material without working around it. You could make the fixed reference point ride on your gantry right in front of one of your uprights. I did it his way on my friends router and it works really nicely.

There is enough play in the T-slot's that you could probably get enough adjustment range without epoxy shimming. Your challenge will be getting everything coplanar and flat.

@1Jumper10 So it appears that since I first looked at adding a gusset, I changed the Z-axis design, so I actually have plenty of room for a gusset on the front. This will probably be the most effective route.

I liked your idea of the auto tool length reference point riding on the gantry support, but my spindle just won't make it over there that far. This image shows how close (far) I am from getting there... I can probably mount something on the extrusion though without interfering with a 4' x 4' workspace. I have 51" of travel for X and Y axis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-gusset-jpg   BrokenHorn 4'x4' Router-router5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just get a longer gantry beam and rails, if you haven't already purchased them.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Just get a longer gantry beam and rails, if you haven't already purchased them.
    I already bought the gear rack from CNCRP which is 52” long. I could add more gear rack, but probably not worth the added cost for longer rack and guide rail just to reach an auto tool zero.

I wish i could just use the aluminum extrusion as my auto tool zero and just reference the same point on it all the time, but something tells me that won’t work considering the frame probably needs to be grounded. Inducing a voltage through your whole frame probably isn’t recommended either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get more gear track from MooreGear.com in the lengths you would need. You could probably also get more profile rail and extend them without having to buy a 4ft section etc. It would take some careful alignment on the rails but it wouldn't be absolutely critical because the Z axis wouldn't be travelling over the spliced section very much. Only to measure tools. My point is it wouldn't be very hard to extend your travel a few inches and having a tool zero reference point outside of your work envelope is very convenient.

Some progress is being made on the gantry supports, but still haven’t had time to build my wooden base. Maybe this next weekend...

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks a lot stronger than the cad model

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That looks a lot stronger than the cad model
    I was hoping it would, Ive learned CAD models can be a little deceiving.

It should be dimensionally correct though. They cut the parts from the DXF files that I exported from the model.

I fear my base frame may have the opposite problem. They said they could make it flex a considerable amount (1/4” to 3/8”) from corner to corner diagonally so I may have to come up with a way to stiffen it up.

Downloads
    Uploads

It won't move when you bolt it to your table.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with ger21 that it shouldn't flex once you have it bolted to the frame. I am planning a build very similar to yours. Is that 1/2" material you are using for the ends? I also feel that you should have a gantry end to tie everything together and once you have made it square vertically and horizontally, then the deflection should be negligible.

I was planning on making my table out of wood initially due to cost as well. I was planning on using LVL for the top and laminating them together to create a very flat surface to mount the structure to.

I will follow your thread with much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BRut24 View Post
    I agree with ger21 that it shouldn't flex once you have it bolted to the frame. I am planning a build very similar to yours. Is that 1/2" material you are using for the ends? I also feel that you should have a gantry end to tie everything together and once you have made it square vertically and horizontally, then the deflection should be negligible.

I was planning on making my table out of wood initially due to cost as well. I was planning on using LVL for the top and laminating them together to create a very flat surface to mount the structure to.

I will follow your thread with much interest.
    Thanks, I am using 3/8” steel for the gantry supports and 1/2” steel for the Z-axis plates. I wanted the Z-axis plates larger since it’s largely a bolted assembly and some of the plates are relying on mainly the material thickness to resist deflection. Plus it worked better for spacing for the ball screw, etc.

I wasn’t sure what you mean about “I also feel that you should have a gantry end to tie everything together”. Are you talking about bolting a plate to the end of the extruded aluminum that is also welded to the gantry support?

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent work on the granty risers, should be very strong and stiff!

Some progress made... I still need to drive more screws in the wooden base, but was anxious to see it with the metal frame on top.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really nice design I like the gantry design a lot!
    Good job,