Build Thread Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router

Build thread for a large format CNC 5-axis gantry router (composite gantry), similar to the attached photos of commercial models.

General Specs:
    - 4000mm (X)
    - 4000mm (Y)
    - 2000mm (Z)
    - 360 degree (A)
    - 270 degree (C)
    - ATC Spindle 10kW 9Nm 24000rpm
    - Linux CNC / Mesa 6i25, 7i77 & 7i76
    - Composite Gantry

We are building this machine for use in our business, Solpont Composite Engineering, for the purpose of:
    - Machining large composite patterns/molds.
    - Machining large aluminium patterns/molds.
    - Post processing of composites parts (trimming & drilling etc).
    - Scanning/probing of existing parts for importing to CAD for product modifications.

Thank you for your attention, I look forward to your comments and assistance as we progress through this project, hopefully we will make it out the other side.....

Regards Jono

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-dms_overhead-gantry-jpg  
    Last edited by jono5axe; 12-20-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router

Do you have a plan of your own, or just copying that DMS? How much of it will you be building out of composite materials? Are you using carbon fiber/epoxy or something else? Are you building your own 4th/5th axis head, or sourcing a commercial one? Same question about the ATC - build from scratch or buy?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

The design started at the tools, >> then toolholder system, >> then spindle.

Decided on HSK63F toolholder system, Hiteco 24000rpm ATC spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-hsk-toolholder-jpg   Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-hiteco-spindle-jpg  
    Last edited by jono5axe; 12-19-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Making the composite gantry beam first, before steel main frames, to allow the gantry beam extra time to cure / stabilise.

Construction method:

- Composite gantry beam 4500mm long x 600mm high x 400mm deep [RHS - rectangular hollow section].
    - Construction: Sandwich construction - marine ply core, internal laminate = 2mm biaxle / double bias glass fibre. External laminate = 4mm carbon/glass fibre. Transverse internal gussets/bulkheads for torsion. Closed ends.
    - Resin system = epoxy.
    - Method: vacuum infusion. [make up core material as C-Section, lay-up inside C-Section, bond in transverse gussets, close C-Section by bonding on last side panel, vacuum infuse external laminate in one hit].
    - Metal threads - 50x20mm m/steel flatbar laminated into the core.

Pic#1 - vacuum test of the core / internal laminate.

Pic#2 - finished composite RHS gantry beam (still wearing peelply).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-gantry-beam-01-jpg   Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-vac-test-jpg  
    Last edited by jono5axe; 12-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Composite Sandwiches.

The below picture shows a sample of a 'composite sandwich structure'. It shows a laminate on each side of a lower density core material. In this case it is a 12mm rigid foam core (approx 80kg/m3) with 5mm structural glass fibre laminate on each side (this sample also has some kevlar in it, which you can see on the face closest to us). The laminate carries the load (stress), and the thicker the core the stiffer the structure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-composite-sandwich-structure-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jono5axe View Post
    Making the composite gantry beam first, before steel main frames, to allow the gantry beam extra time to cure / stabilise.

Construction method:

- Composite gantry beam 4500mm long x 600mm high x 400mm deep
    Great choice of spindle, looks like a fun build

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54
    Hi I see you are doing what kiwis do best, build things better than others can

I would rethink your Z axes, if you place the linear bearing at the bottom of the Y axes carriage, and the rails mounted on the Z axes moving column you will see that your support of the Z axes will be a lot better than what you have, the rails should move not the linear bearings, the rest looks fine, I build machine like this also, not the carbon fiber, but I am interested in this construction of the beam Mac
    Hi there, thank you for your message. I do understand your point, and I have seen and read that a lot on this forum, but there are reasons for doing it the way it is shown on the picture of the DMS machine.

It is beneficial to have the Z-axis linear rails/blocks mounted as far apart as possible for the purposes of rigidity in the Z-axis at full extension, but, if the rails are moving up and down then the Z-axis column must also be wide, and this wide column will interfere with the work piece. By fixing the rails to the carriage and moving the blocks up and down the column can be smaller and not compromise the workpiece access of the spindle. For example, the rails/blocks may be mounted 600mm apart on the Y-axis carriage for good rigidity and the Z-axis column can then be say 250mm diameter, and will not collide with the workpiece.

But, maybe there are other factors that I am not considering?..

Regards Jono

Last edited by jono5axe; 12-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like that spindle too; did you get the toolholders from the same source? How much did it cost (if you don't mind my asking)? Are you planning to use the Doughty Drive Doughty Drive – The 4th, 5th, & 6th Axis solution head for your 4th/5th axes, which is made in New Zealand?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I like that spindle too; did you get the toolholders from the same source? How much did it cost (if you don't mind my asking)? Are you planning to use the Doughty Drive Doughty Drive – The 4th, 5th, & 6th Axis solution head for your 4th/5th axes, which is made in New Zealand?
    The Doughty Drive would not come close to what is need for that spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Spindle weighs 25kg, and may have 100kg cutting force (1 kN) on the tool tip. I have 300Nm hollow harmonic drives for 2-axis head assembly. I will post pictures further down the track.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will build a 2-axis head. The Hiteco head for this spindle is shown in the pic. I will build something similar to the Hiteco design, which is a pretty universal format...

I have two 400w servos for it already. And the Harmonic drives.

[Afterthought: I planned to incorporate a collision mitigation device/coupling into the head design, but have not worked anything out as yet, so if anyone has some knowledge/experience I would be very interested to hear it].

Jono

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-head-png  
    Last edited by jono5axe; 12-21-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got steel unloaded into the workshop yesterday. Pressure starts to come on.....

(please excuse the crappy photo, and the messy workshop).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Format 5-Axis Gantry Router-steel-jpg  

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast