Build Thread Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's - Page 23

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's

Hi 1Jumper10, just thought I would comment on your incredible build and journey, it looks fantastic already and am sure i will be even better when it's finally completed. I have spent a good part of the day reading quite a bit of this thread, and have learned a few things already. Thanks for letting me look in on your work.
    I especially liked the main structure and the way you filled in the box section with "high density polyurethane foam" and also the sand. I was thinking that filling box section with something to dampen vibration may work (and be a lot cheaper) and you just confirmed that it actually might. I also enjoyed the talk about the Clearpath motors and Steppers, although I'm still learning about all that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Krispee. It's working fantastic. Here's a pic of a project I'm working on. In the pic it had been running for 2 hrs with about another hour to go with no issues. The software I used to generate the toolpaths is inefficient as the file is gigantic but there is a lot of detail in it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Thanks Krispee. It's working fantastic. Here's a pic of a project I'm working on. In the pic it had been running for 2 hrs with about another hour to go with no issues. The software I used to generate the toolpaths is inefficient as the file is gigantic but there is a lot of detail in it.

That looks awesome, really nice work there. It'll be a standout piece. Not surprised it's taking a while as CAM generated programs always end up pretty bloated in my experience. It would be pretty longwinded, if not impossible, to hand code but it is a pity CAM programs aren't more efficient.

Engineer - Artist - Writer

Downloads
    Uploads

Got some unmasking to do now. A lot of unmasking

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't turn out too bad. Got a few toolpaths to fix.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, looks like a giant medallion. What did you use to create the model and prgram?

Downloads
    Uploads

I found the model online, can't take credit for it. I used Estlcam to generate the Gcode. Estlcam does really good with DXF files like this but is sorely lacking for 3D/STL files. I've been toying with getting VCarve Pro for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd like to see what it could do with a file like this. With Estlcam I had to do a lot of tool path cleanup and the machine did a lot of air cutting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    I found the model online, can't take credit for it. I used Estlcam to generate the Gcode. Estlcam does really good with DXF files like this but is sorely lacking for 3D/STL files. I've been toying with getting VCarve Pro for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd like to see what it could do with a file like this. With Estlcam I had to do a lot of tool path cleanup and the machine did a lot of air cutting.

Right, my next question might have how long did it take you to model that lol. Quite a complex model. I can imagine the more expensive CAM software would help but for hobbyists that's not really viable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, not sure if it has been asked, just wondering how were the epoxy dams built? It looks like 1/8" MDF walls were duct taped into place and maybe siliconed where they join with the steel? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Reviving an old thread with an update. I have sold this machine to a friend I work with. He's got big plans and this machine will be integral to them. I would never sell something to a friend that wasn't reliable and this machine has proven itself to be reliable. Stone cold reliable.
    In the hindsight of about 3 years I realize that there are some people who like building cars and some people who like painting cars. Its the rare bird who can do both well. I prefer building machines instead of using them. I'm just not artistic or creative like that. My friend is and I look forward to seeing him use this machine to make some fantastic projects. With that said, here are some lessons learned from building this and using it for the past ~3 years:

The good:

Steel construction. Not as hard to work with as I thought it might be. More difficult than aluminum extrusion but ended up a very solid machine.

Helical R&P. I still prefer their cost of performance over ballscrews.

The UB1 board, especially with its OSSD feature is a key part of a useable, safe machine. It works like it should. All the time and every time.

The Clearpath Servo's are fantastic. I cannot say enough about them. Once configured correctly they just work. The run almost silently, stay cool, very strong and provide visual feedback of their status.

Hitachi VFD. Works great. Has Sensorless Vector mode and starts and stops the spindle on a dime. Accepts a pulse train input for speed control and RPM never wanders. Also has an alarm output that I've had the occasion to use when surfacing the spoilboard. If it trips out on overcurrent, the alarm brings everything to a safe standstill and software goes into Reset. Acknowledge the alarm on the VFD, clear the reset and restart. It can be a little daunting to configure but, you do it once and forget about it.

Thomson Z axis. This is a critical piece of the machine and I paid a lot for it but I'm glad I did. It made incorporating the servo, spindle, sensors and bearings easy to do.

Pepperel and Fuchs prox sensors. They work everytime and they are precise and accurate. Easy too connect and well designed to stay where they're put. I'm glad I went with them as opposed to using the hard-stop homing feature of the CP servo's. In that regard to homing, I've done it both ways and to anyone reading who is considering the option I'll say this: If your gantry is flexible enough to get out of square, use the hard-stop homing feature of the CP servo's. They will square it up and keep it square. If your gantry is rigid, use the home sensors.

Filling the gantry with foam. I've gone back and looked at the before and after vibration measurements quite a few times. The foam reduced the induced vibration frequency and amplitude by about %50. It also will prevent condensation from forming inside the gantry tube and rusting out.

UCCNC. Robust, well supported software for a reasonable price.

Things I'd change if I did it again:

Smaller linear rails. I bought 30mm because I couldn't get 25mm at a reasonable cost. The bigger bearing blocks made shoe-horning the drives into place a challenge but they'll never wear out. 25mm or even 20mm would have carried the load just fine.

Dont use a water cooled spindle. These 2.2KW spindles hardly generate any heat. In my unheated workspace in the cold days of winter I was constantly waiting for my spindle to warm up. Would often use a torpedo heater directed at the radiator to ADD heat to the spindle.

Use a more powerful spindle. The limiting factor of how fast this machine could be run was the spindle. In truth it only ever was a factor when surfacing the spoilboard with a large bit. A 4 hp air cooled would be a much better spindle.

Find a more suitable spoilboard. Maybe glue MDF directly to the vac bed. I was always fighting moisture induced warping of the spoilboard. This caused vaccuum leaks among other obvious problems.

Extend the epoxy plane all the way to the end of the base. I wouldnt have needed to shim all 4 ends.

Thats about all that I can think of.

I might build another one. I'd build it to sell probably. Like I said I enjoy building them and I've got most everything about 80% refined to the point of where I'd be comfortable putting my name out there.

Thanks All.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

I’ve always been impressed by your build . I opted to buy a special order pro 4x5 from avid cnc ,as I don’t have the confidence to weld well enough yet . Probably something that I will regret someday ,as I prefer to be a hands on type of person when I can . When I seen yours, I thought epoxy was genius, as I have no idea how a person could get any more level than that .
    I was going to buy their 4kw spindle and vfd , and hopefully purchase a breakout board and stepper drivers etc , and assemble the electronics myself in a large cabinet where there’s lots of real estate, as I’d like to to be able to easily troubleshoot it if any problems occur .
    So I’ll certainly have a bit of a learning curve I’m sure

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Well haven't been on here in a while. But.......i know what you mean about building and using something. I love to tinker at building but not always using what I've built. Anyway I ran across a deal recently that someone was getting rid a large format printer and when I say LARGE I mean 6x12 with dual 1-1/4 ballscrew driven Y axis. Well I ended up getting it home So now the fun begins !!!!!! So I may have a few questions about your build Electronics. It has a vacuum hold down as well. Last One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's-20220101_085721-jpgLast One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's-20220101_085732-jpgLast One - 4'x6' Steel, Epoxy and ClearPath servo's-20220101_090806-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

This NEMA 34 planetary gearbox is cost-effective and offers good value for money. Several sizes are available. https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/pl...suit-for-motor[Nema%2034]

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223