Build Thread Out with the old In with the new.

Thread: Out with the old In with the new.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Out with the old In with the new.

Been a while since I posted but I have been a busy bee in my hive. I really like the look of the Inventables X-carve and Open builds OX so I thought I mash up the two and make a larger one using VERY HEAVY 80x40mm extrusion. I have built a few small ones with a lot of mods which Ill post later. So off to the photos. As much as I hate wooden tables, I really hate welding so I went ahead and beefed up a 5'x5' heavy duty table using 2x6 for frame and 2x4 doubled for the legs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_0484-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0483-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0485-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0742-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Out with the old In with the new.

Everything was drawn in Sketchup. Made my way out the metal yard to pick up some 1/4" aluminum plate and Aluminum C channel. Had to make a few adjustments before exporting to the old trusty cnc for cutting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_1442-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1447-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1448-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1452-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_1549-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-proto-cnc-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1876-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-new-cnc-jpg  

Last edited by planekrazie; 04-19-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Blue was getting a little old to look at, So I went with machine gray.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_1788-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1875-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1877-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1982-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_1983-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1896-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2160-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2169-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wired up the steppers to my G540. (Really wanting to add a another axis to use for a lathe attachment but later) More Pics.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_2231-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2194-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2232-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2250-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_2252-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2251-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Lastly Pics of the little ones. Going to throw all of my photos of the little guys here.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_2175-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2177-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2198-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2210-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_2231-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2242-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2252-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2274-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_2279-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2284-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2285-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0047-1-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_0858-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0966-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0970-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0965-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a few carvings the little guy has made.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out with the old In with the new.-img_2115-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_0936-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_2230-1-jpg   Out with the old In with the new.-img_1434-1-jpg  

Out with the old In with the new.-img_1438-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome work! Carvings look great! Especially the last one!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks gregoose. I'll send the files for the Obama ash tray if anyone wants it. I found it on thingiverse lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

That would be awesome! I don't have a working machine yet. Still researching, gathering parts and what not but I'll take a copy. I'd love to try to make one once everything is running. It's like I've got this obsession with all things cnc now, already planning my second and third builds in my head! Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol I know what you mean. I am out of town on business but I'll send to you this Thursday when I get back

Downloads
    Uploads

Love the big machine. I really need to get rid of my screw drive on my y and update to a R&P. Would need to change out my cold rolled steel and relocate my cable chain and such. Maybe one day.

Wood neophyte.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good work.

Was the blue machine always rack and pinion or it had a belt drive previously?

Downloads
    Uploads

It was belt driven. I changed it out. I really don't see any difference in the cuts but I do hear the difference. Couldn't hear the belt lol

Downloads
    Uploads

I have all the files to both machine if anyone wants them. Pm me and I'll send out

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you find your y carriage stays square with just a carriage on the outsides of the rails? When I built mine I put one on the inside rail as well ... thought perhaps it would need it to stay square.

Wood neophyte.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your y axis beam is stiff you should not have any problems. Also I am running steppers on both sides

Downloads
    Uploads

The way you embedded your electronics in your frame is really cool. Could you explain a little how you use that?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's nothing more than a small fanless pc. I had a few from left over projects. It runs win xp has a laptop hard drive and runs from a laptop power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve, Can you send me the files for the little machine. I still cant get it running. thanks