New Machine Build Sidewinder CNC

Thread: Sidewinder CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sidewinder CNC

I’m new to all this but have been reading and learning for quite a while. I’ve got experience with Arduino, programing, some robotics, have a fully outfitted woodshop, and am a avionics tech by trade so I’m pretty confident that I can accomplish building a CNC. I’ve decided to go with Dave Gatton’s design over at www.sidewindercnc.com. Not only does it appear to be a very solid design but with Mr. Gatton’s YouTube videos, this should be a relatively easy build for my first CNC.

At this stage I’ve ordered all the parts needed, except for the lumber, and just waiting for it all to arrive. I’ve stuck with using two of the suppliers Mr. Gatton recommends. Dumpster CNC offers a kit that I couldn’t beat in price by more than a few dollars and since this is custom made for the machine I’m building, it’s what I went with. I also stuck with McMaster-Carr. The plans reference McMaster part numbers and I couldn’t find another one stop shop. Shopping around would only end in an increase in cost of these parts. The only exception to that may have been the aluminum angle, but the couple dollars saved didn’t seem worth the road trip to get it.

There are a few design changes I’m going to make. The first is to add some bearings to the motor side of the ACME lead screws. I’m just not comfortable with having the motor support the weight of the lead screw. I’m not going to use the Xylotex control. I’d rather not have to deal with maintaining a computer with a parallel port and if I end up taking the machine somewhere, I’d like to just use a laptop with it. Also, using the Xylotex control would add about $200 to the build that I feel is better used in other places. In its place I’m going to try an Arduino with DVR8825 steppers. If this fails then I’ll probably just build my own H-bridges and control them with the Arduino. Finally, I may end up beefing up the motor support mounts in some way. The motors aren’t exactly light. Please don’t interpret these changes to flaws in the design. Mr. Gatton has designed what I feel is an excellent machine and these changes are merely my personal preferences.

I’ll add to this thread as progress is made and will post an Excel with total cost that will be updated as things change. I am open to any constructive criticism as I’ve still got a lot to learn.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sidewinder CNC

A quick update to the build. I wasn’t paying attention when deciding to up the motors to a higher torque rating and the drivers will not handle the amps. I ended up getting five (one spare) SainSmart TB6560 single axis driver boards and they seem to work just fine with the Arduino/GRBL setup. I’ve hooked it all up and the motors move as they should. I thought about the three/four axis TB6560 boards but didn’t like the thought of one axis burning up and then having to replace the entire board.

There was a two week delay while I waited on the full size prints. They were ordered through Staples since they were the cheapest but there isn’t one nearby so I had them shipped. On the first attempt Staples expanded all my drawings to fill the paper. On the second attempt they printed them all on cardstock and that doesn’t work at all for glue on templates. For the third attempt I went into a Staples store while visiting my parents up north and finally had what I needed. (Staples did refund all my money so the prints ended up being free.) If you order from Staples online, be sure to put “Print one to one (1:1) size DO NOT RESIZE AND DO NOT USE CARD STOCK.” Even though you’ll select these options, you have to put it in the notes since the print people do not bother to look at the options you have selected.

The templates were glued on and all 28 parts cut out. This part took about four hours. I was going to rough cut them with a jigsaw and then finish cut on the band saw but figured since I was already cutting and since I’ll be cutting all new parts using the machine and using better plywood later, that I’d just cut it with the jigsaw and be done with it for now.

At about five hours of drilling and assembly I’ve got the gantry completely put together. The picture below shows it near the end of the process. I’m hoping by the end of this weekend to at least have all the parts drilled, put together, and ready to cut some ACME rod.

Sidewinder CNC-20150813_084930-jpg

Sidewinder CNC-20150816_190035-jpg

Sidewinder CNC-20150817_091740-jpg

Sidewinder CNC-20150818_102237-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would mind giving details on the controller board you used and any settings/steps you used to getting it going? I am planning on doing something similar to what you have done with a Dave Gatton sidewinder. I have the system built and am now ready to start ordering the electronics. Thanks. Is this setup still a successful way to go?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I lost my plans, Could someone share with me?