My third build, all steel this time! - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My third build, all steel this time!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My third build, all steel this time!

I hope you do keep the posts going, this is looking like a serious build and I'm looking forward to seeing it through. I use a similar machine, and occasionally I have wished that it had a dropped section in the bed to accomodate larger workpieces, and a vertical bed on the end of the machine to allow me to do work on the ends of boards, dovetailing for example.

I haven't noticed any mention of a tool changer, which I think is worth adding to a machine of this quality. The system on the machine I use ( Multicam ) is simple and reliable, the tools sit in simple holders on the end of the bed. Things do go wrong with stepper driven machines, sooner or later you are going to crash the tool into something too fast, your fault or a software glitch, and this will cause the motors to lose a few steps. The job could be ruined which is annoying, but equally annoying is having the tool change snap the tool stations off, so design tool stations from ply to avoid expensive damage. Keep spares in the toolbox.

Thanks for posting all this, I'm really enjoying it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post

I haven't noticed any mention of a tool changer, which I think is worth adding to a machine of this quality. The system on the machine I use ( Multicam ) is simple and reliable, the tools sit in simple holders on the end of the bed. Things do go wrong with stepper driven machines, sooner or later you are going to crash the tool into something too fast, your fault or a software glitch, and this will cause the motors to lose a few steps. The job could be ruined which is annoying, but equally annoying is having the tool change snap the tool stations off, so design tool stations from ply to avoid expensive damage. Keep spares in the toolbox.

Thanks for posting all this, I'm really enjoying it.
    I would love to have a tool changer. I am always mesmerized watching ours at work do its thing. The problem is money, I just don't have it! My hope is to make some extra money with this router and hopefully upgrade to a tool changer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought an update was in order. I have made a little progress this weekend, I am so close to stripping it down for paint now. Hopefully next weekend that will happen.
    I managed to get the Z-axis E-chain all mounted up and fabbed up a mount to attach the Y-axis E-chain to the Y-axis carriage. I also got a good start on making up a cable tray to go from the y-axis echain to the z-axis echain.

You might also notice that massive orange cable in the E-chain. Its a 4 conductor 12ga shielded flex cable made by Olflex made especially for VFD use. I got it cheap on ebay, I don't really need 12ga but I don't think it will hurt anything.

Also in the pic below you can see that I used a few links of outer opening E-chain at the end of the Inner opening E-chain. I did this to make it a little easier to pull cables through, after working this huge cable through I am glad I did.

I also got this 5x12" heatsink in the the mail this week. I will be mounting the Gecko's on here and using the PMDX-134 to link them all together. I'll post pics of that real soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great thread I'm glad I subbed to it keep em' coming loving it. Can't wait to see the first cuts !

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a little time to get out to the shop and do a few little things. Not much to show for it but I did cut that heatsink down and get it drilled and tapped.

Last edited by Fluxion; 09-01-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Messed up the link to the pic

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. I have the Spindle and VFD now as well as a new piece of cable to go between the two. That large orange cable that I got such a great deal on is to big, the wires themselves won't even fit in the terminals the VFD.

I have been working on getting this thing painted and I finally shot the last coat on Halloween. Pics are below!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great looking machine Do you have a best guess at how many $ you will have in it when done?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rs1626 View Post
    Great looking machine Do you have a best guess at how many $ you will have in it when done?
    Yeah, close to $7000. I have a spreadsheet that I am using to track all my expenses, I'm at $6378.18 right now but I do have a few items that I haven't added in yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very nice n solid

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally a small update. I have mounted the electronics and started wiring. I also added an extension to the grease zerk on the ballscrew and cooling fans for the electrical enclosure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So beautiful!

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job so far!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't wait to see this thing fire up.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a bit of an update. I have just about finished the wiring and have mounted the limit switches. I still need to mount some blocks to trip the switches but I'm so close now! Here are a few pics of my progress to keep this thread going.

Here's the limit switches I am using.

I finished laying the wires and airlines in the cable trays.

Here is a shot of the electrical cabinet.

All in all I feel like I made some progress this last weekend even with working a 12 hour day on Saturday and a church Christmas program and dinner with family on Sunday. I can't wait to get out to the shop tonight after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, another update. It moves!

Here is a short blurry video from my dirty iphone of the spindle moving in a 40" circle and hitting 2000ipm. I had it running faster but it's scary!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, just ran across your thread... nice build, way to stick with it.

A quick note: You mentioned a grease zerk on the ball nut. You should know that most ball nuts want oil, not grease, and the fitting looks very nearly identical to a grease zerk. Oil is actually better for anything that generates chips because generally it won't glue chips to whatever it's lubricating.

I'd recommend you check your ballscrew's docs and make sure grease is ok, same with the linear rails.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by erikjgreen View Post
    Hi, just ran across your thread... nice build, way to stick with it.

A quick note: You mentioned a grease zerk on the ball nut. You should know that most ball nuts want oil, not grease, and the fitting looks very nearly identical to a grease zerk. Oil is actually better for anything that generates chips because generally it won't glue chips to whatever it's lubricating.

I'd recommend you check your ballscrew's docs and make sure grease is ok, same with the linear rails.
    It's quite normal to use quality Grease for Ballscrews and Linear rails, most rail and Ballscrew manufacturers sell the correct Grease for there Screws and Rails, some you can buy now are sealed lubed and ready for use

There are a lot of machining centers that are using Grease for Ballscrews and Rails this helps with less coolant contamination, Grease lubricates just as well as oil for this application

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good job, looks very smart and moves very well.

The grease most manufacturers recommend is lithium fast grease, but if the rail or screw is subjected to any dust it does just gum up and doesn't work. In which case use oil.

I use oil with my hiwin carriages as they are subjected to dust, which works well until where the oil feeds the bearings behind he nipples gets blocked.

The only sustainable solution is to use bellows to keep dust free and using fast grease would be the best solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There are a lot of machining centers that are using Grease for Ballscrews and Rails this helps with less coolant contamination, Grease lubricates just as well as oil for this application
    Well, either way OP should check the specs on his ballscrews and rails to see what's recommended. If either can be used, usually there's a speed limit for the ball screws that's higher if oil lubricant is used. There are advantages to each, I guess.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's very evident that a lot of time, planning, and skilled fabrication went into the construction of your machine. You're lucky to have the tools, ability, and capital to do so. I like that you went with orange, there are more than enough boring coloured machines out there. What vehicle does the air filter to your enclosure fit? 2000 IPM is very quick. You're on the home stretch, good work.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast