New Machine Build My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC

Hi everyone,
    Some of you might remember me from a few years back. I started a small router back then and never finished it after retrofitting my knee mill, since the mill did everything I needed. Now I have a use for a router (for wood) for a side business, so I'm building a bigger one. I've been collecting parts for a while, and my design is far enough along that I though I'd share. I still have some detailing to do like mounting holes, limit switches, toolholder, etc. but the design is complete enough to start building.

The pictures show some of the parts that I've collected over the years as deals came along. I pretty much designed the router around what I had. Here are some basics of the design-

The frame is mostly Misumi because that's what I'm used to working with and from what I've found it's the least expensive and easiest to configure and download for solid modeling. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I also already had some though and just ordered the rest for $600 (ouch.) The y-axis extrusion is 80X160mm, and rest is 80X80, 80X40, and 40X40. Travels are about 44" X 28". A big steel frame would be nice but I don't have a way to machine the rail mounting surfaces, and the extrusion allows me to make it bigger in the future if I want to. As-is it will fit perfectly into a space in my shop and still let me park a car.

For the controller I am using the main enclosure that I started for the little router. It contains the main breakers/fuses, control power contactor, power supplies, and Rutex servo drives. That enclosure will go on the right, and the left one will be for I/O and connectors to tie everything in. The one on the back will contain the VFD. The PC is a dell P4 2.6 GB that I transplanted into an industrial computer case. The screen is a 17" Elotouch salvaged from the scrap bin at work and fixed with $3 worth of capacitors. I also got a nice everything-proof keyboard on ebay- almost free.

Everything else you can pretty much see in the pictures. The ballscrews are all really nice with no backlash. Linear bearings are are all size 25 THK, Thomson, and NB. The spindle is a 3kW that I bought unused on ebay with inverter for the price of a 2.2kw.

The ATC is the really fun part. I have to admit that I was inspired by the Avenger unit. Mine won't be cheap to make- materials are expensive and I'll have to have a few parts CNC turned. It will have some features that I wanted though like standard ISO30 toolholders, clamping will balls and springs, and sensors to detect tool clamped, tool ejected, tool stuck, and tool missing (or broken pull stud.) 2 sensors will be used for all 4 conditions. I don't know if I will need a PLC to control it properly with Mach3 yet.

That's enough for now, if anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free. Now I need to start making all the machined parts, so this will take a while. I'll post pictures as it progresses.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures must have timed out, here they are.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-router-front-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-router-back-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-router-spindle-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010012-jpg  

My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010013-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010014-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010015-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010016-jpg  

My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010017-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice parts collection and concept.

Just MHO, but if you put the router inside of the base instead of on top of it, then it will not need another enclosure and the whole thing will be stiffer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Nice parts collection and concept.

Just MHO, but if you put the router inside of the base instead of on top of it, then it will not need another enclosure and the whole thing will be stiffer.
    Not sure what you mean about another enclosure, can you show an example?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I mis read your original post. You mentioned an enclosure, but meant for the electronics enclosure. I was thinking dust / noise enclosure for the router part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, yes I did that on my first one-
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn..._pictures.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the compliment BTW harryn.

I got most of the frame put together, linear rails cut to length, and the VFD cabinet mounted on vibration isolation mounts. I forgot to order t-nuts for the rails and 40 X 80 extrusions to support the table so those are on the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010027-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Making a little progress-

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010084-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010083-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More progress- everyone likes pictures, right?

Per dwalsh62's suggestion I reinforced the traces on the VFD and milled a little clearance for the capacitors that were touching the heatsink. These things must get the final soldering after assembly, it wasn't easy getting it apart, and I had to stand on my head to put it back together. The silver wire was added at the factory and probably addressed the main issue, but I added another wire to the primary side of each MOSFET to be safe.

I did some dry-fitting of the uprights and gussets- everything is good so far. The 1" plate is probably overkill, but you never know.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010088-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010093-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010100-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010103-jpg  

My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010109-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010126-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010127-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010128-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It sure is handy to have a mill when building a router. Looks good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, and yes it sure is handy. I'm spoiled now & can't imagine getting along without it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you going to build an Avenger-type ATC to mount to your 3Kw spindle?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Are you going to build an Avenger-type ATC to mount to your 3Kw spindle?
    Yep! It's drawn, I just need to buy the tool steel and bug chunks of Aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I haven't had time to make any more parts, but got the uprights back from anodizing. They look a lot better than the pictures make them look. This is turning into a winter project..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010150-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010149-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010148-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kevincnc View Post
    Well I haven't had time to make any more parts, but got the uprights back from anodizing. They look a lot better than the pictures make them look. This is turning into a winter project..
    I think they look awesome!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I think it's starting to look like a machine . These casters are awesome. I leveled up the table mounting suface within about .001"/ft, and the X-Axis is dead on throughout the travel. I hope to have time to make some more parts this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010157-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010156-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010154-jpg  
    Last edited by kevincnc; 11-21-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I took a little vacation and did some serious cleaning and re-organizing to make room to work on the router in the heated side of the shop. X-axis ballscrew fixed side bearing mounts are done & I can still push it easily by hand. This may be as clean as the shop ever gets, so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010162-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010164-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking shop,I see you use the same mounts I do on your vise. Just never sure where I want it so i have never bolted it down.

Keep up the great work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Nice looking shop,I see you use the same mounts I do on your vise. Just never sure where I want it so i have never bolted it down.

Keep up the great work.
    Thanks, yeah "mounts", thats my welding table so I don't want to have anything in the way. I've been meaning to make a swing-down mount, maybe some day...

Downloads
    Uploads

A little more progress. I sheared and bent the sheet metal for the guards and cable trays (all the yellow stuff in the model.) It sure is nice to have access to a shear and brake at work. I realized that I drew the VFD enclosure laying on it's side. If standing up it would interfere with the X-servo motor, so I did a little re-configuring and moved it to the left side. The X-axis cable trays had to move in, but it worked out.

The second picture shows the Y-axis cable tray, X-axis ball screw mounts ready for anodizing, and an upright stiffener cover almost mounted. They're only for aesthetics, cables will be behind them. I was disappointed that the Y-axis extrusion was twisted about .050" from end to end, and had to make some plates at the ends to get the twist out. I looked on the Misumi site and the twist was well within tolerance for the length, so I guess I can't complain. At least straightness looks dead on with a 3ft straightedge.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010190-jpg   My new router with DIY ISO30 ATC-p1010191-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast