And yet another first router

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And yet another first router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default And yet another first router

Wow! We're all coming out of the woodwork now!

Here is another first time router. Its made with 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle and 4" channel. Spent last weekend welding it up and yesterday grinding and laying on the primer. The working envelope is 24" x 24" x 10". I scored some used THK slides and ball screws on ebay. The controller and stepper motors, too. It will probably be 2 weeks before all of it is in one place, tho. I'll rent a spinning laser level to get the shims right for the slides and then bed it (with a release agent) using JB Weld. Haven't decided on a spindle/router. These components are so heavy that I'm considering 2 spindles; one for wood and one for metal. I'm sure there are complications to this that I haven't worked out yet. I have been toying with the idea of stiffening up the frame with concrete. Anybody have any experience with this?

I want to thank everyone for all the great information in their posts! Since I found this site I have become more obsessed with building the router. You have all given me insperation, information and (spoucal) inflammation (dark) But hey, thanks just the same! (I just had to use that smilie) I value your thoughts and opinions. Please post!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-dougs-cnc-frame-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks sturdy.

I gather you will be going with a moving table design? What controller?

I like it so far.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Balsaman,
    Thanks!

Yes, a moving table. On 30 mm THK rails and a 3/4" 5 pitch ball screw.

I plan on purchasing Mach1. I dl'd the trial version and Pat walked me through setting it up. Very cool...

Bought a 3 axis drive system on ebay which uses U366B drives. The guy that sold them to me offered 150 oz./in steppers at a reasonable price if I bought it as a kit. Of course like anything else the minute you buy something you see another that seems a lot better. Oh well, I'm sure I can make it work.

BTW I have read most of your posts here and those on that incredibly long thread over at the RC group. You've gone a few miles down this road, huh? You and the rest have been very incouraging. Thanks and keep it up!

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

yep, a few miles, still going! Still learning!

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Broke but happy

Well, its starting to take shape... and I'm waiting for 2 more items won on ebay and most of what I need to finish it will be in one pile. I get so excited I can't sleep!

Anyway, here is an update, with photo, on my progress.

I had my steppers hooked up to my pc using Mach1 and they were singing happily on the floor.

This past weekend I mounted and shimmed the rails and tables.

I also made a mounting bracket and nut for the Nook ball nut I won on ebay. Shaved the bracket square and mill six sides to the nut on the mill. I have to say I was suprised to get the threads right the first time on the ball nut. (Who'd a thunk 1.172" -18 tpi?)

And then I had to fix my pc! Not the worm, whew. Just a bad install of updates from our friends at Microstuffed.

I have to say that I missed reading this forum!

Oh, ya! The big picture is in the photo gallery...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-nut-screw-mount-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Whew! I hate concrete!

Just an update on the battle with my project:

Going for broke, here. Mixed and poured 6 bags of fiber reinforced concrete today. Spent the last few days getting everything ready. Really, it was fun! Prestressed the frame with all thread and then checked the deflection on the columns just for grins. WOW .020" ! Fair amount of force needed to get that but it still makes me nervous. Well, thats what the concrete is for... I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope to see less than .001" with the same amount of force after it sets. I don't know enough about the dynamics involved to know what kind of force the cutting action will apply to the system but surely it won't be the 100 lbs. of static load I applied to the top of the unit. Anyway, I set the indicator to rest on one of the all threaded rods running across the frame and saw it flex a lot with the same load applied to the top. So the concrete should get rid of most, if not all, of that flex. Well, now I have a reference to go by. Comments, anyone? Pictures of the form in the photo gallery.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-mud-bath2-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I checked the deflection after the concrete cured for a week. I couldn't get it to move at all the strong way. Even with almost 200 lbs of pressure! Whew. The weak way I can still get .005" with the same amount of pressure. I think I can live with that although my partner suggests we install a stay with a turnbuckle on the back side and make it zero all around. Hmm. We'll see...

Anyway, heres the latest pic. Pretty happy with the way the concrete went. And I can still pick up one end of the machine although I'm not going to make a habit of it. (Not at my age). Now its time for some serious fabrication.

I'm really kicking around the idea of making a spindle and an ATC. Been watching a few of the threads and noting ideas and thinking about designs. I am considering having 2 spindles. One for metal working and one for wood and foam carving. I'd just use a router for the wood working and no ATC there. But the metal working one wouldn't have to be finished right away. I'll draw something up sometime soon and post it...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-dialed-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Steel at it

Not getting much time in the shop. I'm trying to make every minute count. Heres a photo of the mounting brackets and hardware for the steppers. I have them made for X and Y now. The capture plates were fun. Did the thrust bearing mounts in the lathe with a 4 jaw....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-motor_mount-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default back at it

Well, I'm finally back to where I can get around and so out to the shop a little more. Made some parts and have redesinged some of my original plans. Not that I was working from prints or anything. Except for this Z assembly. I had originally decided to set up a brake on the Z just for safety. After having finishing and assembling the thing, it doesn't seem like I'll need one. The bearings I used for supporting the ball nut are so large (and the fit in the brackets are a little tight) that there seems to be enough resistance to keep the Z in check. I plan on having a counter-weight now anyway, so the brake will probably go. I'll keep my options open, however.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-top-z-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

and the front...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-front-z-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

I am still watching your progress. Dont give up with the posts we are all looking but not commenting. Your doing well.

Being outside the square !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is your Z axis motor turning the nut or the leadscrew? Looks good so far. Keep us updated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the encouragement, ynneb and InventIt. I'll keep slogging along and post as well.

The nut turns on my Z. I wanted to do this as a proof of concept for my next router. Like most, I want to upgrade just about everything and with the next one I want to use servos instead of steppers. I want to spin the nuts on each axis to avoid shaft whip. I'll still have to balance the nut assembly (something I haven't done on this low speed stepper system) but I'll work that out when I get there. Thanks again!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by lsfoils

The nut turns on my Z. I wanted to do this as a proof of concept for my next router. **Snip**
    I'm interested in how you did this. Do you have a drawing you could share with us? Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello InventIt,

I'd be glad to share the drawing with you. Here is a rendering of it in Rhino. The material is 3/4" thick and the bearings are 6008 NTN (I think, universal number so it doesn't matter who you buy them from). The ball nut is from Roton 5/8"-.200" pitch. Has the standard 15/16"-16 mounting thread. Not shown here or in the drawing is the socket the ball nut fits into. Basically a cup with an OD for the ID of the bearings and a precision hole. The hole matches the cog tooth pulley OD I turned at the hub. Threads are cut into the cog tooth pulley to match the mounting threads on the ball nut. I'll have to work on the drawing to make this clear for you. My computer crashed before I was able to save the work on these components but not before I got a print. Haven't needed to regenerate them since but I will in the next day or 2.

Is dxf going to work for you? I can output in all kinds of file types. Let me know. I'd post the drawing with the dimensions here but its over 180k.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-z-brake1-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, you'll have to pm me your email address. Rest assured its safe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lsfoils

Thanks for posting the drawing and the detailed explaination. That is a great idea. I like it Do you have a mill that you cut that part on? Looks great.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, InventIt!

I have a mill/drill and a 13 x 36 belt drive lathe. And a few toys to go with them. Some day I'd like to retro the mill/drill for cnc. The bronze nut on one axis is worn out and instead of buying one of those I plan to get another ball screw and nut from Roton.

Here is a drawing of the parts I described earlier. If you want dimensions let me know. These drawing are screen shots from Rhino. I was thinking that the resolution would be awful for showing dimensions. Guess I could break the drawing up, zoom in and give you the dimensions that way. Let me know if you're interested.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And yet another first router-ballnut-cup-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nice; I'm also thinking of spinning the nut; but for my X axis; I really don't want that stepper sticking out the end of the table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Stevie,

Do you have a design to share? So far, I've only figured out the Z. Post a pick or let me know what you have in mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast