New Machine Build CNC Router Build For A Friend - Page 5

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC Router Build For A Friend

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    What OD and tpi of your ballscrew? It looks like your router will sprint very fast. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

amazing work.....its very cool to see a true machinist at work!

And what machine do you not own??

Downloads
    Uploads

asuratman

The screw is a Hiwin 16mm dia X 12mm pitch for this small machine

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

tskguy

Thanks for the comments, There are still a few more machines, that you will see in this
    build, The biggest machine I have in my home workshop is a 60ton molding machine, This takes up the most room with all it's support equipment, it is just over 14' long

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router Build For A Friend-60ton-boy-molding-machine-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

CarveOne

Thanks again for you comments,

The Pure Titanium Inserts were made by Iscar 30years ago,
    they were only made for about 2 years, as I did a lot of hard turning I saw a use for these Inserts & brought up everything I could find, They are a very hard Insert, ground & polished on the cutting edge's, cheaper than Carbide & much harder, so are much like a insert made with CBN or Diamond I don't no what I will use after I run out, Because they are so different from any other type of Insert

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    CarveOne

Thanks again for you comments,

The Pure Titanium Inserts were made by Iscar 30years ago,
    they were only made for about 2 years, as I did a lot of hard turning I saw a use for these Inserts & brought up everything I could find, They are a very hard Insert, ground & polished on the cutting edge's, cheaper than Carbide & much harder, so are much like a insert made with CBN or Diamond I don't no what I will use after I run out, Because they are so different from any other type of Insert
    Titanium probably got so expensive they couldn't sell them, or commit to using that much of it in one place. All I see now is TiN coated cutters of one kind or another. Most if it probably went into making the SR-71 (Still waiting for my 1st ride on that one LOL). CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Wow!!! What the hell deos that thing do?

Downloads
    Uploads

SR-71 Blackbird is/was a reconnaissance plane made with titanium alloy for lighter weight and the surfaces of the plane had to withstand heat that would cook anything else. Not so secret anymore. Drilling and machining it was a whole technology story in itself. Google it. CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

^^ i think he was talking about the molding machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zygoat View Post
    ^^ i think he was talking about the molding machine.
    Ok, sorry. Thought he was replying about the previous post. Wasn't sure. C1

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

its all good. shouldn't you be in the shop working on your cnc anyway

Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at the detail in the molding machine picture,notice the stairs and railing and the floor.Mactec is the molding machine in your livingroom?
    Larry

L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Downloads
    Uploads

I love the warning signs on that molding machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

lgalla

Yes I would like to use the living room, My wife would not care,She works in another State,Just my 10 year old & my self,The molding machine is easy to keep tidy,it's in the garage with all the other machines, the floor has an epoxy coat on it

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HA you guys are funny,
    I know what the SR71 blackbird is.. and after a quick google I now know what that monster of a machine is for.

Its funny I thought it was your living room as well.

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

I assumed it was a basement room and stairway. They usually have concrete floors. A second level floor in a typical residence would not be suitable for a machine weight like that without lots of support under it. Even then the vibrations may show up in the surface finish of machined parts. Thick, solid floors are needed.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

So I would assume Mactec carried it down the stairs to the basement.Actually he says it is in the garage.
    Larry

L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Downloads
    Uploads

No, that was my assumption when I first saw the photo. I didn't mention it then. He later said it was in the garage. A lot of home basements have a ground level entrance door or patio doors. I know of two homes with well equipped basement machine shops and have seen others in photos on the machining and gunsmithing sites I have frequented. It's not at all uncommon.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec wins in the home-shop category. wow!

Downloads
    Uploads

Finishing the Ballscrew after machining, First it was debured at the shoulder, then a Bush /sleeve was made to go up against the shoulder on the screw, this can be used for a seal to run on if need be, To stop dirt dust,Etc from getting into the bearings, a Keyway was cut in the end of the screw shaft, along with a thread in the end of the Screw as well, This thread in the end of the Screw, will hold everything together along with the preload on the bearings as well

Bearings, There is many different bearings that could be used, a photo of just (2) types that could be used, The (1) piece anguler contact bearing, is fixed & has no way to make any backlash ajustments, & they have a very small amount of backlash, This type is fine for a wood router, the other (2) bearings can be ajusted by shims, or by grinding the bearing faces to get the right loading with zero backlash, You need to have a tenth surface grinder to do this, or shims work ok, On this one I disassembled the bearings & ground them, The Bearing parts were then demagnetized cleaned & assembled, & tested for any backlash, This was all Good, so the Bearings had some grease put in them for final assembly

The next part was a spacer that goes between the Bearings & Pulley this had the faces ground for a perfect fit against the bearing face & the pulley, the pulley was then bored to size & a keyway cut in it, Before I could cut the keyway I made a Bush for this size to match the Broach

In place of the pulley a coupling could be used for a direct drive, it would be mounted the same way as the pulley

A key was then milled for a tight fit in the pulley & screw, everything was then ready for assembly

Before final assembly all the parts that are metal (Steel) were demagnetized

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router Build For A Friend-debure-machining1-1-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-bushing-shoulder-bearing-1-2-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-make-broach-bush-1-3-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-finished-broach-bush-1-4-jpg  

CNC Router Build For A Friend-broach-bush-1-5-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-pulley-ready-keyway-1-6-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-bearings-1-7-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-bearings-ballscrew-1-8-jpg  

CNC Router Build For A Friend-ballscrew-place-1-9-jpg   CNC Router Build For A Friend-ballscrew-place-side-view-1-10-jpg  
    Last edited by mactec54; 03-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Mactec54

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast