Another Aussie Build - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Aussie Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CNCfun&games,
    I wish I has access to your castings as my work pales into insignifigence in comparison.

Hi Russell,
    I think you fell asleep at the computer that night.

Here is the weeks work. Cabinet is finished and all the high voltage is connected. Sheetmetal covers and ducts have been made for all the high voltage stuff with warning and identification label added.

Inside the cabinet is an aquarium pump and a sliding drawer for the computer. The pump has an electromagetic piston so it has a sheetmetal cover with cooling fan to limit the EMI to other components. You can see this cover in later photos.

The VFD is a bit low but there wasn't anywhere else I could mount it. It is a bit busy on the front panel.

A solid top will be put on the cabinet so I have a large opening which has an aluminum checker plate door to match the door covering the computer drawer.

There is a large door vent in the back of the machine and five fans pushing air out of the cabinet. There are additional fans inside the cabinet for creating an air flow over heat sensitive components.

I will mount and wire the electronics in the enclosure this week and hopefully move onto the machine proper. Note that by placing the electronics enclosure in the corner of the machine the cables for the motors can exit through the side of the enclosure and up to a cable chain.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0937-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0938-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0939-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0940-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-dcp_0941-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0942-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0943-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0944-jpg  

Last edited by Rodm1954; 08-15-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rod,

Awesome job on the Control Box....very well thought out and really makes the machine look impressive !!

Gives me something to strive for on my latest build although I don't think I could match your level of integration with Mach 3...wow !! My brain hurts just thinkin about it....

I can't wait to see this baby cutting something !!!

Keep up the great pictures too

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jeff,
    I've had a bit of practise building now so it does come easier.

Mach3 has so many options such as Brains, Macros and scripts and it is just a case of spending some time and playing. I have a mock up console in my office with momentary switches, MPG, pots and rotary switches and I played with it at night trying different things. Eventually the light goes on.

A machine console is a great way to operate your machine and I encourage others to have a go. The Pokeys is IMHO the easiest and most flexible way to interface to Mach3.

By the way I knew nothing about electronics before my CNC adventure so it is possible for a novice to get the results.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's getting there. I played with the brightness and contrast so the colours look a bit odd. The flash on the ally made it a bit bright to see anything. The Gecko 251's are under the little fans on the right and mounted on a heatsink.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0945-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is still ticking along and I have cut, sandblasted and painted all the steel for the machine base.
    I have also assembled the Y and Z axis so once the base is done it is ready to bolt on. I only have the motor plate to make as I have done the spindle mounts. Hopefully it should come together fairly soon as the fiddly machining is all but done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0950-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0951-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0952-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

oooooh...nice !

I reckon if I managed to build my machines at a ratio of one of mine to five of yours Rod I would be a happy man

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would you believe I have collected parts for the next one already. This one will be for me and a nice little desktop (hopefully) machine I can plug in for demos and inside use. Trouble is I start with a small idea and build them into a much bigger and heavier scale.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has taken a day to fabricate and machine this bit but I think it is a good solution to the X axis mounting. The problem I had was that the ballscrew bearing mounting needed to be mounted inside the body of the machine. This would have meant either taking the machine off the stand and flipping over or removing the table top to do any adjustment or maintenance down the track.

I milled a hole in the face of the machine base then made a plate that the bearing mounted to and then a motor mount connected to that. Now I can undo the four outside cap screws on the plate and pull the ballscrew and bearing block through the hole. Photos show it better than I haver explained it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0957-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0955-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0954-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0956-jpg  

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is starting to look like a CNC machine now. The afternoon was spent mounting and levelling the base frame to the cabinet. I use a machinists level to get the components to within 0.02mm also checking diagonals, etc then I pin the steel with roll pins to make sure it doesn't move

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0961-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0960-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0959-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And some more ......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0962-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0965-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0966-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting closer.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0970-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0969-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0968-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0967-jpg  

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A step backwards this week. I found there was too much racking (twisting) across the gantry and decided to fit an additional plate over the gantry ends.
    Rather than try to match to the plate I came in 10mm and only extended out on the edges were it needed additional support. I think this was a better solution as it looks like it was designed from the start and it does not make the edges look too fat.

Result was what I was after and even without stitching around the perimeter or fitting the under plate it has stiffened the gantry no end. I did loose two days but it is easier to do it now rather than when the machine is running.

Photo shows what I have done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0974-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Table and spindle fitted. Cabling runs this week and it should be up and running soon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0975-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0978-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 10-11-2010 at 05:31 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rodm1954 View Post
    Table and spindle fitted. Cabling runs this weerk and it should be up and running soon.
    Nice looking project Rod. The diamond plate dust guards are a nice looking feature. Looks too good to actually use it.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Carveone,
    I agree the plates give it a handsome industrial look.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All done and dusted.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0980-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0981-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0982-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0983-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-dcp_0984-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0985-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default And the video

Video is a bit long and as a film maker I make a good floor sweep.

Last edited by Rodm1954; 10-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! That's nice.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Rod,

Your machine is seriously awesome and if I'm ever in Perth I'd love to come and see it in action. You've inspired some design mods to the one I'm working on over here in Brisbane.

That video is just pure cnc awesomeness. Out of curiosity what software apps do you use to go from modeling to routing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CarveOne and Newflavour.
    It is good to have it finished.

I had the usual hiccup this week and this time it was with EMI on the Chinese VFD. Some filters sorted that out once it was identified but don't you hate those backward steps.

Anyway all good now and smiling this side of the world.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast