CNC Darrens Work Log V2

Thread: CNC Darrens Work Log V2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Darrens Work Log V2

Hi All,
    Well here goes for the second router build. While I had a lot of fun, learned alot and even made some money with my mostly JGRO plans built router I have always wanted to do my own design. I have run a few jobs on the jgro router but I also had to pass a couple up because of the size of the part that needed to be made, so I made the descision to build bigger. The cut area on this router should be around 4x5', large enough for the jobs that i had to pass on and also large enough for my dad to do some stuff on it for his custom wood working biz.

Here are a couple of photos of the linear track idea I came up with. Not really my idea for the design, just the way it was made. The design is straight from Bishop Wiescarver just made my way, as the actual Bishop parts were out of my budget. My design uses roller blade bearings mounted in delrin wheels running on aluminum rectangle cut to match the wheel.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-006-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-008-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-010-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-011-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Darren, That's pretty nice! What's going to keep the bearings from pushing out of the delrin over time?

Trent

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here are a few shots of the gantry. I can hear a few of you right now...a wooden gantry that big?? Well my family has always been woodworkers i'm about that only one that does a little bit of work metal work on a Smithy 3 in 1 that we have so I went with wood. It is all made out of baltic Birch ply and is very rigid. The slot along the front of the gantry will house the lead screw and will have some sort of belows to cover it and keep the dust out. Also you can see the Igus E-chain that will cary the power, encoder wires and the vacum hose.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-001-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-002-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-003-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-004-jpg  

CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-005-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

each roller has 2 bearings, one on each side and an internal flange wich seperates the bearings. Once bolted on the bearing are held into the delrin.

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a few Rhino 3d renderings. Note I am in no way a CAD person so the drawing isnt the greatest. Doing it in rhino more for fit and placement of things and make sure everything works together. The Z axis is not done as of yet, still alittle head scratching to do on that one. The angle will be welded to a cross bar on each end and all attached to the stand.

Darren

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-4-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-5-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-2-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you find a cheap source for the E-Track? I'm about to the point of final wiring on my first router and I'd love to use proper E-Track, but the $150 worth I'd need is a bit much.

I don't even need big stuff either, just two pieces to handle a 24" stroke and one for a 12" stroke, all with no more than a 1" square internal size.

Pete C.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

EBAY!! I picked up that piece of e-chain, 6' long 4-5/8 x 2-1/2 for $20+shiping its on there all the time. Do a search for Igus, cable carrier, cable track or cable protector.

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And the last photo for now, here are the 3 servo motors I will be using on this router. Brand new Pittman lo-cog servo motors with a max peak torque of 410oz/in. These motors were used on equipment that had the encoders not mounted on the motor, so i have mounted an aluminum plate to the back to mount the encoder to. Planning on using a Rutex servo drive to control everything.

Darren

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-013-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you take the size record for a wooden router.

You're off to a great start. I can't wait to see how your project progresses.

Downloads
    Uploads

The design is straight from Bishop Wiescarver just made my way, as the actual Bishop parts were out of my budget.
    Funny you should say that. Recently I found this guy ( Dare I say it made in China) He is willing to sell minimum order of 100 units, the exact same bearing as bishop wisecarver for 6.18 US. He assures me the steel used is exactly the same as the BWcarver ones.

I am tempeted to buy 100 and sell them on the zone for $10 US

Great progress on your machine, and some nice neat ideas too, Darren.
    I had also thought about the twin bearing on each side of a turned V groove wheel too. I will be keenly watching your progress.

Last edited by ynneb; 03-22-2005 at 12:03 AM.
    Being outside the square !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well guys more work done. I changed slightly from the plans using square tube to hold the vee rails instead of the angle as I think this should wook better and be more rigid. I got one set of the rails mounted and had to give it a try so I made up a test dolly and bolted on a ser of the vee bearings. It is smother than I could have hoped for! I could give the dolly a shove and it would go to the other end without much force. now to start on the second set of rails and the stand.

Darren

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-014-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-016-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-018-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-picture-019-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a couple of new Rhino rendeings of the drawings. Even tho it has taken me alot of time drawing this in 3D, it has been so much easier getting parts to fit together and placed so they dont interfere with eace other!

Darren

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-7-jpg   CNC Darrens Work Log V2-pic-6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Darren, have you made any more progress on your router? It's been a while since you posted. Have you been stalled on your project?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been very stalled on it! Many other projects going on right now and dont have time to work on it. My dad who has been running his woodworking biz out of his 800 square foot shop in his backyard signed a lease on a 4000 square foot building and we have been mooving equipment and assembling new stuff. He saw the router I just finished last night and asked me what it would take to build a router that could hold two 4x8' sheets so while the router is cutting one you could take off the previous cut one and load a new sheet, my normal relpy....time and money. My v2 project isnt at a stand still tho alittle more design and building has been done, just not much to post here right now. Updates will come tho as soon as i get back in gear on it.

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know there are a lot of ways to cut the aluminum, but how did you cut the track?
    Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The angles were rough cut on a table saw, i'm going to go back and clean them up with a 45 degree carbide V-bit on a router table.

Darren

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would have been ideal if you could have made the v track one piece, double edged, so to speak. That would have to be precision made though, since spacing would not be adjustable, thus adding to the cost.
    I really like your v rollers. Are they very stiff laterally? Are your v grooves the same profile as the v edge on the track? I would imagine that the V edge would have to be very smooth and consistant or it would bind or jump.
    colin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darren, Whatever happened to Router #2. I was interested in if the wooden gantry would be rigid enough with such a large span.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Due to time and money progress has been stalled, I have finished the main track for the side tho. As for the gantry right now I have it sitting on 2 saw horses one on each end, it has been like that for quite awhile now to test for sagging in the middle and so far I cant detect any. It doesnt have the router or z axis mounted to the gantry but this would spend most of its time at the side of the gantry (when its not running ofcoarse) so I dont think it should affect it much.

I have finally got a router table built that should be good enough to do the finisish cut on the rails and I might get to the point of doing that tonight. If i do i'll get a few photos of the completed rails up.

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Further Progress????

Darren have you made any further progress on this cnc router?