My Solsylva router build...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Solsylva router build...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Solsylva router build...

Just got my plans this week so I have started collecting some parts. I would have to agree what others have said, the plans are well written and easy to follow.

I have many modifications already thought out during the build, such as, 1/2" x 10 tpi acme lead screws, my own design anti-backlash nuts, polished tube steel rails instead of EMT, Lovejoy style couplers and many others that I will document here along with lots of pictures.

I expect my build time to take at least a couple of months due to my business schedule and trying to spread out the costs.

As of today I have about $100 dollars in the parts obtained, not including the cost of the plans, parts are as follows...

8mm id x 22mm od bearings (40pcs) - found a heck of deal on ebay
    1/2" id x 3/4" od bearings (30 pcs) - another great deal found on ebay
    1" od x .120 wall x 96" round steel tubing (for x, y axis - 2 pcs. - had these)
    3/4" x 36" x 16 ga. round steel tubing (for z axis)
    1" x 1" x 1/8" x 36" Aluminum angle
    3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" x 36" Aluminum angle
    1/2" x 96" Aluminum channel (2 pcs.)
    1/4" x 36" allthread rod (1 pcs.)
    1" x 1/8" x ?" flat steel bar (something i had)
    5/16 x 1" and 1.5" bolts, nuts and washers

I have estimated my total cost of this build should be around $1600, including software.

Heres some pictures of the raw materials (excluding bearings), to get my thread going. The 1" steel tube has some light rust but will polish up nicely.

Watch for more to come

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Solsylva router build...-p1020369-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020370-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020371-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck on your build. If you just follow the manual step by step you shouldn't have any problems. One of the best manuals I have seen. It's a nice little machine also. Your final figure is higher than mine turned out including me buying Vcarve Pro and Mach3. Hopefully yours will turn out cheaper also. Looking forward to seeing a lot of pictures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A few parts are almost done!

Had some time this weekend to work on some parts for my router...

Pic #1: Cutting angle, channel and tubing:

Pic #2: After cutting, I wanted to be sure the ends are square and clean.

Pic #3: Marking the pieces for the bearing trucks and filing the recesses for the machine screws.

Pic #4: Set up the drill press for all the holes.

Pic #5: Change the drill press a bit to drill and tap the holes in the x,y and z rails.

Pic#6: Still have some polising to do on the rails, but at least i got something done. In this pic you can see the second deviation from the plans (first was using regular steel tubing insted of EMT), I used four bolts instead of three in the x rails.

Pic #7: Also stopped at radio shack yesterday and picked up some micro switches for limit switches. they only had four left in the drawer, will get the rest another time.

next thing I'll probably do is build the cabinet the whole thing will set on, so that will take a while before I can actually get back to the actual router.

thanks for looking!
    trevor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Solsylva router build...-p1020373-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020372-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020374-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020378-jpg  

My Solsylva router build...-p1020381-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020382-jpg   My Solsylva router build...-p1020377-jpg  
    Last edited by cdsgraphic; 01-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

cds,

great start. Im doing a log of my build aswell and only started recently, Im looking forward to seeing how our two machines turn out at the end , and any differances, since we're kinda building parallel to each other.

Enjoy.
    L8rs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading the past couple of evenings about steppers, controllers and powers supplies and I think I have reached a conclusion.

Even though the the xylotex kit is nice because it is basically plug and play, it seems to be very limited in the amount of power one can put to the board which in turn limits the steppers. So I think their kit is out.

I have decided on a hobbyCNC board and will put together my own power supply, something around 24-30 volts and 10 amps.

The let down with hobbyCNC is the limited stepper selection. But I found a place that has a 280 oz./in. for $40 each.

So that's my log report for today.

Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking good!

I have been working on my solsylva since end october. Just about done.

I just wanted to comment on you band saw. I have the exact same one. It was nice for cutting aluminum angle, emt, and threaded rod. Also, I am using hobby cnc kit which so far in testing has worked out good. Looking foward to more pics. I will post some when I do my first cut!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

But I found a place that has a 280 oz./in. for $40 each.

Trevor[/QUOTE]

May I ask where you got your steppers?
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
    May I ask where you got your steppers?
    Thanks
    I found this place located in chicago. I think they also have some listings on ebay.

http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html
    Click on "Stepper motors in stock" and scroll down to "KL23H276-30-8B"

The name also sounded familiar in that I may have seen it mentioned here, but I can't be certain of that.

Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jllewel812 View Post
    looking good!

I just wanted to comment on you band saw. I have the exact same one.
    Thanks,

I know a lot of people don't like HF and some of the stuff they sell is truly garbage, but I have quite a few tools from them and most of them have served me well.

That little bandsaw has cut a lot of steel for me.

Trevor

Downloads
    Uploads

You seem to know what your talking about so I hope Im not teaching 'a duck to suck eggs',

.....but I just dont want you to buy something inappropriate like I did at first, so make sure that the HCNC board and the power supply you choose have enough amps for your steppers. I believe the HCNC boards max is 3A per stepper, so if for example your 280oz/in steppers are 4A, then HCNC will only run them at 75% capacity. Also, on the power supply, having a bit extra in the amps wont do any harm, the steppers will only draw down what they need. My transformer with HCNC 200oz/in steppers is 24Amp, and 24V. After rectification I get approx 33.6V @ 24A.

Keep up the good work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default power supply

where is a doog place to look for a power supply?
    I was told that the old copy machine will have one whereby you can run several motors and they will have 24 volts or more. If you know of a bargin please pass it on.
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe trevor will be generous enough to post a thread of his transformer build, or perhaps post it in this thread? (Hint hint! )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cdsgraphic View Post
    I found this place located in chicago. I think they also have some listings on ebay.

http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html
    Click on "Stepper motors in stock" and scroll down to "KL23H276-30-8B"

The name also sounded familiar in that I may have seen it mentioned here, but I can't be certain of that.

Trevor
    You'll get about 200 oz/in out of those motors with the Hobbycnc drives.

Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Downloads
    Uploads

If you get the 425oz. you will get around 305oz. running uni-polar, i have run them on the HobbyCNC Board.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Joe and Steve, I'm a real newbie at this stuff so any info is very appreciated!

Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    You seem to know what your talking about so I hope Im not teaching 'a duck to suck eggs',

HAHA! now thats funny... "I know what i'm talking about". I wish I did, but I just keep piecing together all the information on the zone as it comes in. On the other hand the more I read, the more confused I seem to get .

Thanks,
    Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not much to report today, no real work done on the router except that I picked the color scheme, drum role please...

Grabber Orange (it's a 2007 Ford Mustang color)
    and Semi-Flat black for accent color on small parts.

That should look cool, right?

Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got all my lumber yesterday for this build - hard rock (sugar) maple. Got my 1/2" bearings in the mail last week while I was away. And just placed an order with enco for some 1/2" x 10 tpi acme threaded rod, acme nuts and some other misc. items.

Hopefully I should have some updated pics of the progress in a few days!

Trevor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking forward to pics

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished today! Woohoo.... (Using the term 'finished' loosely. Still have to tidy her all u then completely re-build her from a nicer wood.) Im enjoying following your progress cds, please post lots of pics if you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast