DIY 4 Axis Hot wire - Plans converted to G-Code and cut on CNC

Thread: DIY 4 Axis Hot wire - Plans converted to G-Code and cut on CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY 4 Axis Hot wire - Plans converted to G-Code and cut on CNC

So after looking around I decided to build a U.S. variant of RC Keith's 4-axis foam cutter. I took his drawing which you can purchase from him for $5 (a bargain) and converted it to g-code and cut all the MDF parts on an Industrial CNC 4x8 foot router table. I used Illustrator to turn off un-needed layers and then laid the parts out for a 2'x4' sheet of MDF from Home Depot. Illustrator exported a DXF which I opened in CamBam and set up my cuts and pockets before generating the g-code. Mach 3 sent the g-code to the Industrial CNC (at work, not mine). I'm in for about $400 for everything needed to complete the machine. I should end up with 20" vertical and 27" front to back with the width being adjustable out to about 1 meter.

Here are a few pics of the CNC routing process, will post more build pics as I go. His build is well documented, search for RC Keith and you will find him. Only modes I made to his machine is to use 3/8" rod and T-nut instead of the metric rod and nut he specs, and I extended the vertical arms 6.5" to give me 20" 0f vertical. Everything was sourced from Home Depot and Amazon.

Enjoy,

Jason