Need Help! Searching for someone to Machine Foam Plug of Car Body

Thread: Searching for someone to Machine Foam Plug of Car Body

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Searching for someone to Machine Foam Plug of Car Body

Hello,

I'm hoping that I'm posting this in the correct spot.

I am looking for someone offering CNC services to cut an automobile body in foam, for the purpose of casting a fiberglass mold.

I have seen this done with cross sectioning in the past, where the foam is cut into narrow sections and then glued together to then make the full shape of the mold. I have also seen one piece plugs milled as well. Either form would be acceptable.

I can provide 3D modeling of the vehicle in question.

Please let me know if this is something you can do as well as a way of contacting you to discuss pricing.

Thanks!
    Jon

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Searching for someone to Machine Foam Plug of Car Body

I suggest you add your location to your profile since you might be attracting offers from the other side of the world.Shipping could get expensive and time consuming.A wire cut job,even if done in sections,won't be much use to you since the wire will be held straight and I presume your vehicle will feature a compound curved surface.A routed body in foam will be unsuitable for moulding because of the cellular structure of the foam,it needs a smooth surface applied and then treated for a suitable release.It is fairly common for the foam to be machined undersize and an epoxy paste applied which is then machined to the final surface.It takes a big machine and the hourly rate is quite big too.Will you body shape include details such as fastenings,recesses and panel joints?It is quite a big project and can get very expensive.