Build Thread Building a new large CNC hotwire

Thread: Building a new large CNC hotwire

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Building a new large CNC hotwire

Hey Guys, i am looking to build a very large CNC foam cutter for my business, the software sounds pretty straight forward but i need the guides or railings with motors to be extremely strong, the machine cut area is 100 X 55 x 55 inchs.

What do yo guys recommend for something like that ?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a new large CNC hotwire-035_2-jpg  
    Last edited by Titan262; 02-18-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building a new large CNC hotwire

Well the wire never touches the foam when cutting, so there is NO pressure on the machine from that, the only thing you need is motors strong enough to move the weight of the machine.

Wood neophyte.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like the main challenge will be obtaining smooth motion and not having wobble in the large components.

While that might seem easy, it often is not quite that simple over large distances. I would look at what is done over in the wood cnc home built section in terms of frames. Most of those are actually not stiff enough for the intended task, so they are about right for your task.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine has a cut capacity of 49.25"x82.5"x120.5" and can cut 2 48x36x120 blocks at one time, has 2 axis mode, 4 axis mode and 5th axis turntable. I machined the 10'+ x axis guides from 1.5" cold-rolled steel. The Y axis rails are aluminum and came from a place called "Flatboys" or maybe "Phatboys"? You won't need the strength for these like you would for something like a router because the loads, speeds, acceleration and G forces are far less.

Last edited by 3Dsigns; 08-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Following. Starting to research building (or maybe buying) a foam cutter that could handle a 96"x48"x48" block of foam (the wire would need to be 98" long). Seems simple enough, X,Y on one side, Z,A on the other, hotwire stretched between.

Like building two 50"x50" machines facing each other. Looking at other threads it appears that most of the heaving lifting of programming has already been done.