Newbie Purchasing Drill Bits for Tormach 770

Thread: Purchasing Drill Bits for Tormach 770

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Purchasing Drill Bits for Tormach 770

Hi everyone, I am super new to using forums and even more of a noob at using the Tormach 770 pcnc purchased by my university. I have been tasked to get this machine up and running but being unfamiliar the device, I am not even sure where to start on purchasing drill bits for the machine. I was hoping to get some advice on some initial purchases focusing primarily on the type of collets or drill bits I may need. This machine will be used for reductive prototyping for a senior design class, mostly dealing in plastics, delrin, acrylic, uhmwp, etc. Can anyone suggest some basic drill bits and where I could purchase them from just as a start-up? Any advice would be helpful.

Similar Threads:

*Registered User* doublesidedstickytape's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Purchasing Drill Bits for Tormach 770

Hi I got a 770 this year and I use the TTS ER20 toolholders for drill bits to minimize the runout compared to the drill chuck style ones. Drill chucks will probably work OK too except for smaller drill bits (under 1/8").

Most jobs I just order individual drill bits in the right sizes off McMaster. Getting any kind of HSS/Cobalt TiN coated drill bit set would be a good start but they'll be breaking and dulling, and the individual sizes are so cheap even on McMaster

Get yourself a nice spotting drill too, this can help with drill wandering, I use a 1/4" carbide 140° for many jobs

Finally the 770 really does not like to spin the larger drill bits (1/4"+), I get them stuck in aluminum a lot using conservative speeds and feeds when my belt is in the high RPM position. I'd suggest if drilling bigger holes use the low RPM belt position to get better torque

*Registered User* doublesidedstickytape's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Purchasing Drill Bits for Tormach 770

Wow this was 6 years old? My bad!