please, how to check alignment for small tool ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please, how to check alignment for small tool ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default please, how to check alignment for small tool ...

hello i have a small id turning knife ( image 00 ), that is mounted like in image 01

each time i change that tool, i have to take out the sleeve from the machine, because there is not enough room inside the cabinet, so the keys won't fit ...

when i put it back, is a gamble, and there is a big chance to have the tool misaligned, in X and/or Y

i also can't check it's alignment, and, as a result, a new tool may break after machining 1 or 2 parts, especialy because the tool is small, so is very sensitive if not aligned properly

problem is that there is too much overhang, and i can't achieve repetability when changing that tool, and also i can't check it's alignment ... pls, how to deal with this situation? i mean, is there a 'normal' approach ? kindly

Similar Threads:
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: please, how to check alignment for small tool ...

the piccco cut and the correct holder should put the tool on center
    hi, i am afraid that this does not happen ... there is a play between the " id holder of the machine" and "sleeve that holds the tool" + other plays

this play is not extraordinary big, but it still allows to put&remove the sleeve by hand, without too much effort, and so, the screws will tend to tilt a bit this sleeve, so missaligining will increase on tools with long overhang ... things simply sum up

i just saw that there are even smaller piccos ( attached )

hmm, maybe there is a method for aligning such tiny stuff / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

hello superman, please, do you have a link to it ? or is it here : ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - PICCO R/L 050, 053, 055 : 6402330 - ?

kindly

ps : why i can't edit my " member " label, and how come you still have the " flies fast " ? aaa, not fair

Downloads
    Uploads

happy hunting... LOL
    hei superman, i am not sure, but i believe that some users with older accounts have some 'edit' possibilites, that are no longer available

if i go :
    ... my profile (up) \ about me (tab) \ edit your about me (right label), then nothing happens
    ... setting (up) \ edit profile ( left bottom ), then attached interface appears, and i'm stuck

is it enough hunting ?

Boom, access to set screws
    hi thunder, yup, this will allow acces to the screws, but i am still not sure if i will be on center ...

of course, is better to avoid removing the sleeve from the lathe, and putting it back after, but even so, without removing the sleeve, the alignment has to be checked ; tools have broked inside the 1st or 2nd part ... and they are so tiny ... kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hmm, sounds interesting, thank you very much

i wonder, is it a good idea to scracth the surface with such a little tool ? i don't know

most of the times, i am used to align without cutting, thus to be sure that when the tool will be mounted, it will be where it should be ... i am thinking about a method that does not involve the tool / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hy thunder thank you for your ideas so far; they are great

i have been thinking about this, like using a softer material, but this may require downtime with the feeder and with the lathe; so, maybe i should craft a sharp-point thing, like the one attached ( image 01 ), with dimensions pretty similar with the tool, and i could use it to scracth the material, so to find the center... after that i would remove it, and put the tool instead, and i would adjust the offset :
    ... for a drill, only Z
    ... for a mini id boring tool, i could measure the dimension WF from image 02, and compensate the X offset ( or Y, depending on orientation )

I am very much in favor of putting your TOOL on center, not just your tool holder or tool station
    so true; tool station, tool holder and tool shank, each one is h7 or H7; also there is the play between them, excentricity caused by overhang, and the fact that their position is not the same, depending on how the screws are tightened ... all these little things sum up

what else should i tell you ? hmm, i don't know thank you again

Downloads
    Uploads

hy thunder, please, i have seen that you have an extra-sense when it comes to alignments; please, can you help me with this one ?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...lign-long.html

kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

nice tool / thx

Downloads
    Uploads

hy jreynolds that thing from iscar is good 2 clamp the tool, but is not assuring coaxiality; only a sleeve and a cnc do not assure coaxiality, but a measuring & adjustment method

Also in my opinion the Genswiss is not accurate enough
    somehow i also feel that; even if there is low tir when the device is clamped inside the guide bush ( and guide bushes are wear parts, etc ), also the camera has to be concentric with the od of the part, and i don't know how is possible to check that

however, i was wondering if there is a variant to home-build such gadget i am not up2date with latest stuff, but i believe that a small camera concentric with the housing + wireless transmission, is not hard to find these days / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you talking about? The Genswiss system can center the tool within TENTHS RELIABLY
    hi 369, to eliminate doubts, it is required to check :
    ... the alignment of the genswiss system; the camera center is coaxial with the housing ? they are never coaxial, so is needed to measure the excentricity, so to determine the precission class
    ... the resolution; that's easy

TENTHS RELIABLY
    2.33 tens, or 0.7tens ?

1.1 or 0.15 tens ?

also, what does those numbers represent ? and how to check these numbers ?

You say it's not accurate enough, yet go on giving advice of blueing the end of the bar and scribe a line?
    is not only about scribing the line, but also inspecting the scribbed line position with instruments with precision <0.01, like microscopes, etc

this method takes longer than using the genswiss, but is possible to determine their precision pretty accurate

a microscope acurracy&alignment can be checked, so it can be trusted, but it requires time to use it; to shorten that time, is easier to put the microscope/camera inside the cnc, but this 'alternative' also needs to be checked for accuracy & alignment ... at this moment i don't know how is that possible, so to make the device trustfull / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

at this moment i don't know how is that possible, so to make the device trustfull
    hello, it's been a while, but i believe i know how to check a genswiss system; idea behind it that any measuring device has to be checked to be within specs, and if it is ok, then you may use it without worries

is not enough to have a measuring device delivered with a certificate : a certificate means that it was ok when it left the manufacturer; whatever there is, periodical inspections are recomanded

the question, about a geswiss, is if the housing is cilindrical ( that is an easy check ), and if camera is coaxial with the housing :
    ... take a vmc, trammed, with a centro in it's spindle
    ... put a collet chuck on the table, with the genswiss in it
    ... find the center of the genswiss, then repeat near the bottom, so to be sure that it is coaxial with the spindle
    ... remove the centro, and put a center drill inside the spindle; check it, so to have low tir
    ... turn on the genswiss system, and rotate the spindle; pulse handle z, so to get it in focus : this will give you some numbers, because the vmc axis has positioning accuracy / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

you could use the "face bar, stop spindle, jog off, cutoff, measure nib, offset" method. This is slow-ish and annoying to do each time you replace the tool, but if you're breaking bars consistently its worth it
    hy mcimes, thank you for your reply please, can you describe a bit more this method ? i don't understand / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

oh yes, thank you mcimes the problem what i have got, is that it was needed to remove the sleeve from the lathe, change the tool, then put the sleeve back with the new tool

it was not possible to change the tool without removing the sleeve, because there was little clearance, thus tool nose was pretty close to the 'wall', and there was a lot of overhang for the sleeve

it was not possible to achieve repetabiliy for that sleeve, each time it was in a different position ... it has been a while since that setup ended, but i believe i should measure the play between the bore and the sleeve, because i remember that i was able to take it out / put it back relatively easy ... too easy / kindly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast