pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

Thread: pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

scaring mice @ north pole deadlykitten's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

hello, we have a citizen L12 : i don't like the procedure for measuring tools, which involves contact between cutting edge and material

please, is there another way ? fast, reliable ? kindly

Similar Threads:
    if you wish to be famous, first you have to succeed
    ... where is Sid ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello, we have a citizen L12 : i don't like the procedure for measuring tools, which involves contact between cutting edge and material

please, is there another way ? fast, reliable ? kindly
    Their are other ways to touch off tooling on the od. You can add say .500 to the x offset. Then go to manual set and call up your tool. Then dial down and instead of bringing insert to the od. Take a piece of paper and mic it. Should be around .006 now put paper between tool and bar stock. Handle down in x until paper starts to get interference. Slide paper out and make sure to subtract whatever your paper thickness was. Then hit input then gang return and repeat procedure for next tool.

scaring mice @ north pole deadlykitten's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

hi cosmo we also thought of something like this, but it is still slow

we are preparing a setup ( od, id and live tools ), and the part cycle is pretty long; changing the tool also takes a while

after we change the tool, we need to run 2-3 parts to adjust the offset, and this simply takes too long; too loooong

i was told about an U shape thing, that allows fast repetition when changing drills, but this setup is done outside the machine, and after that the tool is put inside the machine

it still takes too long

i need something like a renishaw, etc, so to minimize the setup time

maybe i need to consider quick change tooling not a fancy thing, but a must / kindly

if you wish to be famous, first you have to succeed
    ... where is Sid ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

I have made steel holders for all my tools. The bottom is milled down to get them at center hight. At the end there is a notch so when I manually change the tool, it sits in the same (0.01 mm) place as before. One of the tools is the reference. The offset of the other tools to this reference is measured by a turning and facing pass. Then i measure the diameter and length of the work piece and know the offset to the reference. Now a tool change just takes the time to manual switch the tool. You could however do the same procedure with an automatic tool changer.