Citizen Vs Star vs Tsugami

Thread: Citizen Vs Star vs Tsugami

Default Citizen Vs Star vs Tsugami

hi guys, I am a production manager of a company that operates in the field of fashion, being that we give third parties about 200.000 euro of turning every year, we were thinking of buying a new lathe.

After a bit of analysis I arrived at these 3 brands:

Citizen, Star, Tsugami.

We are slowly trying to upgrade the turning department so my idea was to choose a brand and keep the one to standardize everything.

We produce brass parts without lead so we make from the simple piece with the programming on board the piece a bit more difficult that we realize through Mastercam.

We at home have Tornos (tsugami re-branded) Gildmister (DMG) and Proteo (Italian brand)

Our machines go 24/24 7/7.

Soon I was intrigued by the Citizen, because the machines seemed to me all the same, but the guys tell me that they are too compact so they would struggle to equip them quickly and work with the Z compared to those that we have at home.

Tsugmai looks like a good car, but I read that together with Citizen have some "low" technical characteristics compared to a Star for example.

Star is the one that technically on paper has better features on all:

the motorized at 8000giri, the KW on the motorized, are superior to Citizen and Tsugami.

We perform some details where the machine uses motorized machines exclusively, so the motorized compartment is quite important for us.

We need a good part of frontal and radial drives.

To be clear, now the lathe is going for 4 days on a particular that is only milled 24/24.

It does not happen often, but these kinds of pieces also happen.

Of course, the assistance and after-sales factor is also very important.

What would be your advice?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mattia9793 View Post
    hi guys, I am a production manager of a company that operates in the field of fashion, being that we give third parties about 200.000 euro of turning every year, we were thinking of buying a new lathe.
    After a bit of analysis I arrived at these 3 brands:

Citizen, Star, Tsugami.

We are slowly trying to upgrade the turning department so my idea was to choose a brand and keep the one to standardize everything.

We produce brass parts without lead so we make from the simple piece with the programming on board the piece a bit more difficult that we realize through Mastercam.

We at home have Tornos (tsugami re-branded) Gildmister (DMG) and Proteo (Italian brand)

Our machines go 24/24 7/7.

Soon I was intrigued by the Citizen, because the machines seemed to me all the same, but the guys tell me that they are too compact so they would struggle to equip them quickly and work with the Z compared to those that we have at home.

Tsugmai looks like a good car, but I read that together with Citizen have some "low" technical characteristics compared to a Star for example.

Star is the one that technically on paper has better features on all:

the motorized at 8000giri, the KW on the motorized, are superior to Citizen and Tsugami.

We perform some details where the machine uses motorized machines exclusively, so the motorized compartment is quite important for us.

We need a good part of frontal and radial drives.

To be clear, now the lathe is going for 4 days on a particular that is only milled 24/24

It does not happen often, but these kinds of pieces also happen.

Of course, the assistance and after-sales factor is also very importa

What would be your advice?

Thank you.
    I’m familiar with all 3 of them. Is there any way you could post a some pics of the types of parts you’re looking to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo2000 View Post
    I’m familiar with all 3 of them. Is there any way you could post a some pics of the types of parts you’re looking to machine.
    I need buy a new Swiss lathe..Citizen or Star??

Default Re: Citizen Vs Star vs Tsugami

Star is your best option, more hands
    On control as far as your head stocks and guide bushings are
    Concerned
    . Also
    More options in the program if and setting up area.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few months old, now, but Tsugami makes a decent machine. Service in the US is not good. Citizen makes an excellent machine. Service in the US is second to none. I have no experience with Star.

I have Citizens and its hard to say if they, or the other vendors, will meet your needs. I understand your need for extensive milling capacity- and all of these companies make machines with extensive options for live-tooling. Better recommendations will need more info from you: what is the work volume you need? Can everything be made from 20mm bar? 32mm? Do you have budgetary constraints?