Programmer leaving need opinions

Thread: Programmer leaving need opinions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Programmer leaving need opinions

Hello everyone. I recently accepted a job at a medium sized medical manufactur a nu mer. Recently was informed that the current swiss programmer is leaving.
    ged My question is this. He had stated to me that he saves a lot of his programs on his c drive not the company network drive. He also was a statement that the memory card he is using to upload programs to the machine is his and that he would be taking it with him. Today is his last day. I’m really concerned because yesterday proving out a program on a very detailed bone screw. During inspection of first piece I found that a lead in angle was off by 5 degrees it’s a critical dimension plus or minus 1 degree. Earlier in the day he had stated that this program had made several hundred parts. But failed to mention that these parts were slightly different. Except for the fact the angle I mentioned which is identical on all part numbers. So the program had to be modified to correct.
    The past few days he’s been quite short with me and generally acting like a prick. What should be done. Personally I think his company computer and any memory cards or usb sticks should not be allowed to leave with him. He seems like the type that corrects program errors on his computer saves to card. But never saves the changes.

Need advice quickly

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Programmer leaving need opinions

I’m not a lawyer but this is how I understand it. Anything he produces while he’s being paid by you, you own. That includes the programs, any data, or production information, it also includes the incorrect parts (despite that being a jerk move). If he damages materials, steals materials, or takes property (including intellectual or proprietary data) you could take legal action. My guess is that you should let him know that.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a serious management problem at that company. If the G-code is not stored on the company servers, then that is management's fault. Hopefully the drawings and CAM files are on the company servers. You can't do anything about it except to talk to management.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Talk to management.

There are a couple issues. The card may be his, but the data on it is not. Inform management of the issue. Memory cards, thumb drives, memory sticks are dirt cheap these days. I have 32 gig thumb drives I use for transferring code to the machines. If I misplace one for a while its no big deal. I have half a dozen of them. Buy him another memory card.

Sounds almost like he is being forced to train his replacement. That's always a ****ty place to be in. Be as nice to him as you can. Tell him if he helps you make the transition smoother you will write a personal (not company) letter of recommendation for him detailing his professionalism in the transition.

Saving files locally while working is pretty common. Its a lot faster than saving them across the network. Auto save can really slow you down by itself if saving across a network. 10/100 networks are still pretty common and even gigabit networks can be slowed down by net traffic. A local drive will always be faster while working. IT should setup auto backup of the directories where his work is stored on the local computer so it happens during off hours automatically updating the files that have changed times and dates since the last backup. If your IT people can't do that get new IT people. For stuff like this you have to get a little more granular. Know what you need and what you don't and then get it done.

Its a tough situation, and you might just have to grind your way through some of it, but if you do you will be more valuable to the company. Ultimately its your responsibility to accomplish the things your job encompasses even if it requires cajoling somebody who is on the way out or even redoing some of the work.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sound like the man is leaving a cheapo stressd-out employer for a higher wage job. ?
    I would bet this is a job shop ?

IT's the money.......
    Pay the guy NOW to complete the job. before you let the knowledge walk.
    How many more bad parts and slipped schedules ?
    Do not allow company intellectual prop to walkt.
    Gcode is Intellectual Property.

Just have the management call me and i will tell them what i have told many vp's and ceo's.
    I have trained many of my replacements only when they were innocent junior programmers,

(personally speaking, i like being necessary to management, not beholden to their jobs)
    professional career security, not job security.

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Sound like the man is leaving a cheapo stressd-out employer for a higher wage job. ?
    I would bet this is a job shop ?

IT's the money.......
    Pay the guy NOW to complete the job. before you let the knowledge walk.
    How many more bad parts and slipped schedules ?
    Do not allow company intellectual prop to walkt.
    Gcode is Intellectual Property.

Just have the management call me and i will tell them what i have told many vp'sg and ceo's.
    I have trained many of my replacements only when they were innocent junior programmers,

(personally speaking, i like being necessary to management, not beholden to their jobs)
    professional career security, not job security.
    It’s not the money. Situation is as follows. He was hired about a year ago to program and set-up. He said he was tired of doing both and asked the company to hire someone to help. They brought in 3 guys that had some set-up experience but no programming experience. I need to mention that he also wanted to program mills as well. So even with the extra help he still was having to do some set-ups and prove programs. He seemed to believe they weren’t trying to find someone who had experience with both.
    They hired me about a month ago since I program and set-up etc. I was going to take most of the load off of him. But what happened is after he as well as other managers interviewed me and hired me. Three days later he put in his notice.
    Any thoughts

Downloads
    Uploads

The term Spoiled Brat comes to mind. But I think you have no option but to plow ahead and work with what you have. Software walking out the door is between management and the former employee. It would seem that you are in no position to do anything about it except inform management.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Deliver the programs and parts as perfect and as quick as possible.
    Make sure management knows who makes parts.
    If they could they would, they hire it done and are dependent.
    Try to keep personalities away and run coolant / ice water in your veins.
    Emotions do not make good parts, cold, calculating skill is rare.

Downloads
    Uploads

Leave it up to management and don't get involved. You are a new employee and it's none of your business or responsibility to manage existing employees. If the programmer leaves with all the g-codes,designs, etc then look at it this way. You have the security of a job while you have to recreate everything from scratch.

Downloads
    Uploads

My opinion is the same with the other guys, You cant do anything about it, the problem arises when the machines are custom tuned from top to bottom (hardware / software) custom zeros, custom bits, custom jigs, etc. it means that you need to make your own procedure or backtrack the other programmer`s methods on mass producing products to cut the story short it will measure your capabilities and skills on the CNC world, my advise is just face it, learn from it, and eventually you will develop your own set of skills along with it. happens to me several times already, and sad to say I "nailed" each one of them on producing more efficient codes, faster production techniques, more systematic approach by custom tuning everything to my preference

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Colby2000,

Unfortunately this scenario is all too common, especially among the young guys. They gain a bit, and I do mean A BIT, of experience and suddenly they are "GOD'S" gift to the machine shop. As others have already pointed out, this is a management problem. They should not have allowed this programmer to operate as a loose cannon. If you know how to set-up and program these machines, you may need to start at the beginning. If you are good at it, you may very well find that the last guy was full of crap and didn't really know what he was doing.

Good luck,
    Jim