Found the Short... Fried Relay? Machine can't control router on/off

Thread: Found the Short... Fried Relay? Machine can't control router on/off

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Found the Short... Fried Relay? Machine can't control router on/off

Thanks for the help in regards to my post yesterday. Eventually found the short was in the router (wire contacted the housing). Fixed the connection and besides the router on/off control everything is working fine. Previously the switch on the router would be left in the "on" position. It would only every fire up when the gcode starts and would turn off again when it's done. Now however the router will just turn on and run whenever the switch is in the "on" position. The router plugs into "relay 1 out" I am assuming the relay has gone bad due to the short? I am not entirely sure or experienced with them. There are two of them, a second one that leads to "relay 2 out". I wonder if I can swap them and see if that does it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Found the Short... Fried Relay? Machine can't control router on/off

Check the relays for same voltage etc.
    Give parts No's?
    Do you have a M/C schematic?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is common for relay contacts to weld together after a short circuit in the load. Gently tap on the relay with something like a screwdriver handle, that may get the contacts unstuck. If that does not help, a replacement relay should not be hard to find. Pretty much any relay with the same coil voltage and the same load current will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

And yes, you can swap the relays. Or reconfigure the controller to use relay 2 instead of relay 1.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the insight! I switched relays tonight (by switching wire connections). Seemed to be all set as the on/ off feature worked and I could control the power to the router from Mach 4. For some reason the x axis direction was flipped.... ran a test cut and zap! Sparks coming from the relay area tripping the breaker again. The relay and router worked and ran fine when I tested it. Running the code on the other hand sparked up! I'll find some similar relays and continue trouble shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could it be that you have a broken cable between the relay and the router? When the machine is moving, the cable is shorting out and doing the "zap" thing. Find the problem before you fry something more expensive than a relay!