Avid CNC Pro or Benchtop Pro vas alternatives

Thread: Avid CNC Pro or Benchtop Pro vas alternatives

Default Avid CNC Pro or Benchtop Pro vas alternatives

I want to buy a CNC router for hobby use in my garage and researching my options. Considering Avid machines like Benchtop Pro 2x3 or Pro 4x2, Camaster Stinger I 2x3 or 2x4 or Shopsabre 23. Avid CNC routers with their plug and play electronic kits (Nema 34 and spindle) + switches and such for complete system, brings the price to the level of Camaster and Shopsabre machines. what could be better?
    I want to work with wood and aluminum (thick plates) and other various materials. I know routers are not that precise as CNC milling machines, but I want to get maximum precision for such machines. Besides I will upgrade to 4th (rotary) axes in future as time and money allow.
    Turnkey machines (Camaster and Shopsabre) come ready to use even with preconfigured PC and software, but no spindle, just with 3HP routers at that level of price. It is not clear if it easy to upgrade to a spindle in future without buying one from manufacturer, as they are QUITE expensive. Thinking, to add one of better chinese made spindle with good VFD, but do not know if it's possible to configure WinCNC software to control it. I do not worry about mechanical mounting. The same WInCNC question about adding shop made rotary attachment. With Avid CNCs it looks more open to those concerns, as you have to buy all software like G-Code processor with smooth-stepper card and CAM (which is included in other packages) on you own (and pay more). Avid requires assembly and careful tuning, which is time consuming and better done with good measurement equipment to achieve maximum precision.
    What are you opinions and advises would be? Is AVID CNC still better option?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Avid CNC Pro or Benchtop Pro vas alternatives

It seems that buying Avid CNC Machine kit + spindle and nema 23/34 plug and play kits does not make whole machine. I will need to buys extras like homing sensors, spindle mounting plate, may be something else, right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by umnik View Post
    I want to buy a CNC router for hobby use in my garage and researching my options. Considering Avid machines like Benchtop Pro 2x3 or Pro 4x2, Camaster Stinger I 2x3 or 2x4 or Shopsabre 23. Avid CNC routers with their plug and play electronic kits (Nema 34 and spindle) + switches and such for complete system, brings the price to the level of Camaster and Shopsabre machines. what could be better?
    I want to work with wood and aluminum (thick plates) and other various materials. I know routers are not that precise as CNC milling machines, but I want to get maximum precision for such machines. Besides I will upgrade to 4th (rotary) axes in future as time and money allow.
    Turnkey machines (Camaster and Shopsabre) come ready to use even with preconfigured PC and software, but no spindle, just with 3HP routers at that level of price. It is not clear if it easy to upgrade to a spindle in future without buying one from manufacturer, as they are QUITE expensive. Thinking, to add one of better chinese made spindle with good VFD, but do not know if it's possible to configure WinCNC software to control it. I do not worry about mechanical mounting. The same WInCNC question about adding shop made rotary attachment. With Avid CNCs it looks more open to those concerns, as you have to buy all software like G-Code processor with smooth-stepper card and CAM (which is included in other packages) on you own (and pay more). Avid requires assembly and careful tuning, which is time consuming and better done with good measurement equipment to achieve maximum precision.
    What are you opinions and advises would be? Is AVID CNC still better option?

Give us a call, our staff will gladly answer all your concerns -- you can also contact Brandon (ShopSabre Sales Manager) and he will happily discuss as well.

We are here all day and want to help you with your decision.

ShopSabre offers many advantages when working with various materials including Aluminum routing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been researching similar machines. Couple things I have found comparing Shop Sabre 23 to the AVID pro 2x4

Shop Sabre:
    Cost $9200 includes machine, shipping, and a set of bits. (Does not include base or dust collection or other misc.) Enough to start cutting.
    Complete machine ready to go without assy. Actually tested before machine is shipped.
    Shop Sabre needs to be purchased with the spindle up front +$3700... cannot upgrade later if start with a router as needs different controller and wiring.
    Shop Sabre spindle option is more expensive ($3700 vs $1700 but not sure on spindle quality)
    From everything I have read and heard there service and support is the best

Avid CNC
    Cost $7500, includes machine with all similar accessories to Shop Sabre, router, set of bits, computer, shipping. (Does not include base or dust collection or other misc.)
    Can be upgraded to larger machine
    Will need assembly
    Can be upgraded to spindle without changing controller
    3hp spindle upgrade $1700 (not sure on how quality of spindles compare)

Question I still have is comparing the 3D carving capability of the 2. The Shop Sabre is ball screw and the Avid is rack/pinion. Does anyone have experience with detailed carving on the Avid pro rack and pinion machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is not entirely true statement, to clear up some confusion you absolutely can upgrade to the Spindle in the field on any ShopSabre Router - this is an advertised benefit to owning ShopSabre Technology.
    You can start with a scaled budget and grow as you need with most options -- the Spindle package is a common upgrade in the field because accessories are expandable quality is not.

The ShopSabre Spindle package is the Mitsubishi VFD and HSD Italian Electric Cooled Spindles - they are the top rated packages on the market.

Again we are happy to discuss with you as well, you can call our team or reach out to Brandon directly as well (Sales Manager)

Thank you!

- The ShopSabre Team

Quote Originally Posted by Kspe View Post
    I have been researching similar machines. Couple things I have found comparing Shop Sabre 23 to the AVID pro 2x4

Shop Sabre:
    Cost $9200 includes machine, shipping, and a set of bits. (Does not include base or dust collection or other misc.) Enough to start cutting.
    Complete machine ready to go without assy. Actually tested before machine is shipped.
    Shop Sabre needs to be purchased with the spindle up front +$3700... cannot upgrade later if start with a router as needs different controller and wiring.
    Shop Sabre spindle option is more expensive ($3700 vs $1700 but not sure on spindle quality)
    From everything I have read and heard there service and support is the best

Avid CNC
    Cost $7500, includes machine with all similar accessories to Shop Sabre, router, set of bits, computer, shipping. (Does not include base or dust collection or other misc.)
    Can be upgraded to larger machine
    Will need assembly
    Can be upgraded to spindle without changing controller
    3hp spindle upgrade $1700 (not sure on how quality of spindles compare)

Question I still have is comparing the 3D carving capability of the 2. The Shop Sabre is ball screw and the Avid is rack/pinion. Does anyone have experience with detailed carving on the Avid pro rack and pinion machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ShopSabre View Post
    This is not entirely true statement, to clear up some confusion you absolutely can upgrade to the Spindle in the field on any ShopSabre Router - this is an advertised benefit to owning ShopSabre Technology.
    You can start with a scaled budget and grow as you need with most options -- the Spindle package is a common upgrade in the field because accessories are expandable quality is not.

The ShopSabre Spindle package is the Mitsubishi VFD and HSD Italian Electric Cooled Spindles - they are the top rated packages on the market.

Again we are happy to discuss with you as well, you can call our team or reach out to Brandon directly as well (Sales Manager)

Thank you!

- The ShopSabre Team
    Thanks for clarification... apologize for mis-stating. I had the Shop Sabre 23 quoted and that was my understanding regarding the spindle.... That it required a different controller setup and wiring and would not be cost effective to update in the field from a router to spindle. I will have to check back on that for additional info.

Downloads
    Uploads

No apology necessary we just want to make sure you get what is necessary for making your decision.

The spindle absolutely can be added in the field down the road - you could also retro-fit your own if you choose to do so, ShopSabre just would not support that non-OEM component.

You will have some upgrades you will do in the field yes but it is possible to do.
    Give us a shout, we are happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kspe View Post
    Thanks for clarification... apologize for mis-stating. I had the Shop Sabre 23 quoted and that was my understanding regarding the spindle.... That it required a different controller setup and wiring and would not be cost effective to update in the field from a router to spindle. I will have to check back on that for additional info.

Getting precise information from Camaster and especially ShopSabre is quite difficult. They want to keep it very closed. That fact makes me very cautious and putting off and I think I am not only one who is repelled from buying the machine from them. I want to know in advance what are my option with future upgrades and want to be open to third party products and that is the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi umnik - If you have the budget go with shopsabre. Seems they are keen just call them and ask Q's they seem to be open not closed. To get precise information requires precise questions a phone call usually sorts that sort of thing. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a 4x2 ft Avid Pro last November with all the options. Am in process of adding the plasma option right now. Machine is great, i can extend it in the future all the way to 10’ long.

Ask me any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Avid CNCPro4824, Warp ESS, Nema 23 steppers, Delta VFD, 2.2kW spindle
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP with TMC3in1 THC