Newbie PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Thread: PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Hello everyone... My first post here. I'm keen to hear everyone's suggestions and advice regarding a build plan I've got. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

My plan is to purchase the PRO4848 kit and then build my owns legs, control system and spindle settup. But I'm weighing this up against just buying the plug n play options from the start.

For the control system in thinking about going with a masso g3 and touch screen with Nema 34s. For the spindle I want a 2.2kw water cooled with quality VFD. Plan for the legs would be something very similar to what cnc router parts sell anyway just with the addition of slide out drawers on one side for bits and tools and slide out on other side for control box and VFD.

Obviously there are pros and cons to both the DIY and PNP route but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

If I were to go the DIY route for control system, spindle and VFD. What would your recommendations/suggestions be for steppers, drivers, power supplies, controllers (smoothstepper vs masso g3), spindle and VFD?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Imo, the main benefit of plug and play is that it saves a ton of time. And you'll get full support for it. The downside is you are locked into their system, and the cost.

My choice would be Leadshine EM806 drives, Antek 60V power supply, and either the AVID Nema 34's, or something similar, 650-960 oz, rated at least 6 amps.
    My preference is UCCNC.
    I recently heard that the Masso is now much better, but for the first few years is was available, it was just not quite "ready".
    My Huanyang VFD has been fine, but many like the Hitachi if you want a better quality VFD.
    I have two cheap round air cooled spindles, but if they die, I'll try one of these.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-ER25-...IAAOSw7e9dXQpt

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I built my own control system around the Centroid Acorn and highly recommend it. They make actual serious cnc controls so they know what they're doing. Also very robust support forums, etc. Not a sponsor, just a very satisfied user. PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Imo, the main benefit of plug and play is that it saves a ton of time. And you'll get full support for it. The downside is you are locked into their system, and the cost.

My choice would be Leadshine EM806 drives, Antek 60V power supply, and either the AVID Nema 34's, or something similar, 650-960 oz, rated at least 6 amps.
    My preference is UCCNC.
    I recently heard that the Masso is now much better, but for the first few years is was available, it was just not quite "ready".
    My Huanyang VFD has been fine, but many like the Hitachi if you want a better quality VFD.
    I have two cheap round air cooled spindles, but if they die, I'll try one of these.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-ER25-...IAAOSw7e9dXQpt
    Great info and advice, thank you. Actually one of my reasons for wanting to go diy for the bits I mentioned is because I'll have a ton of time. There is currently an 11 week lead time for the PRO4848 kit. So I'm kinda thinking I could have the control system built and tested by the time the kit arrives.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Richmaple View Post
    I built my own control system around the Centroid Acorn and highly recommend it. They make actual serious cnc controls so they know what they're doing. Also very robust support forums, etc. Not a sponsor, just a very satisfied user. PRO4848 Build Advice, Opinions and Recommendations

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'll definitely look into the Centroid Acorn thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

It seems tricky to find Steppers of the exact same spec as the CNC Router Parts NEMA 34. Most have 14mm shaft instead of the 1/2" or 12.7mm. Most are 8 wire not 4 like the CRP. But some have higher holding torque. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know of these options are workable or now. I'm actually a little concerned that if I were to buy the CRP steppes that I'd have a hard time finding replacements if need be and my only options would be freighting them from US to Australia everytime which isn't ideal.

Oh... Also the mounting face and holes are very close but not identical to the CRP steppers.

Downloads
    Uploads

All Nema 34 steppers should have 1/2" shafts, and the same hole pattern. Recently, Chinese motors have become available with non standard sizing. You don't want those.

Not sure what's available in Australia, but in the US, there are a few importers that sell similar motors. Not exactly the same, as I think AVID has their's custom made. What you want is at least a 6 amp rating, and very low inductance. You don't want to go any higher torque, as they will likely have higher inductance and actually be slower.

Stepper motors really should last almost forever, as the only moving parts are the bearings. If you do need to replace them, they don't need to be identical, although you would want the two slaved motors to be the same.

And there's no real difference between 4 wire and 8 wire motors. With an 8 wire motor, only 4 wires go to the drive. You just wire them bipolar parallel and they will be the same as a 4 wire motor.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ger21, yeah I thought it was strange that a lot of these motors I'm finding have 14mm shafts. Maybe they will fit just fine. But I'd hate for them to not fit the pulleys. Also most of them have keyed shafts and not the D-shaft that the avid ones have. Most seem to have lower amp rating too at around 4.2A. But I noticed it changes depending on unipolar or bipolar operation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Specs of the Avid motor:
    Voltage - 1.55V
    Current - 7A
    Inductance - 2mH
    Holding torque - 6.8N.m

The average spec if the motors I'm finding are:
    Voltage - 3V
    Current - 4.6A
    Inductance - 4.18mH
    Holding torque - 6.5N.m

Does this means the Avid motors are considerably better? Doesn't the amperage change depending on operating voltage? Is a difference of 2mH a lot?