AVID CNC ZEROING ISSUE

Thread: AVID CNC ZEROING ISSUE

Downloads
    Uploads

Default AVID CNC ZEROING ISSUE

I have the somewhat older AVID CNC (CNC ROUTER PARTS), I'm assuming 2-3 years old maybe, that I bought last year from someone on craigslist. Its got the plug and play electronics with the NEMA 34 motors. Everything works on the machine with MACH4 so far with no issues except zeroing the work piece. I ordered the z zero touch plate from avid cnc and sometimes the machine will go through the auto zero cycle and sometimes I have to hit the e stop because its plunging down into the plate and not stopping. However, when it does work and finishes the cycle, when I press "Go to Work X/Y" the machine moves but it's bout 3/8" off in the X and Y from being at true zero......not sure what's going on. If anyone could help what would be amazing.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: AVID CNC ZEROING ISSUE

Look at the script and make sure that the measurements are what they should be for the dimensions of the touch plate.
    I use mach3 so, I'm not sure about the scripting in that. Are you using the setup files from avid or did you build the setup yourself?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeekseven View Post
    Look at the script and make sure that the measurements are what they should be for the dimensions of the touch plate.
    I use mach3 so, I'm not sure about the scripting in that. Are you using the setup files from avid or did you build the setup yourself?

What do you mean by the script??? I checked the advanced settings in the auto Z Touch window and the wall thickness matches.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not use Mach 4. Mach 3 must be drastically different in how you customize features.
    If you can set a zero position manually and always return to it. I would think that something is off in the math of whatever Mach 4 uses to set zero using the corner finding plate.

Downloads
    Uploads

makes sense. I will have to call AVID in the morning and see what they say

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a similar vintage Standard with the Nema 23 setup. I recently upgraded to Mach 4 and the birthday Santa brought me their touch plate to replace my old "shop made in a hurry but worked for several years" setup. Anyway, I use the stock script and have not had any issues. Make sure all the settings in the window are correct. Also, make sure you don't have an intermittent bad connection. I always test my continuity before I run the script just to be sure. Have you tried using a piece of drill stock or some other round rod instead of a tool? When the corner point is critical, I use a ground dowel (1/4") instead of a tool to get X and Y, then just touch off the tool when I install it. Are you using the Avid CNC Mach 4 set? I'm just thinking out loud here. Let us know what you find out. I'm curious. I was prepared to write my own script when I upgraded to Mach 4, but I really like what Avid provided.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I found one of the issues. When I talked to AVID customer support last week due to my touch probe not being functional at all, they had me select the revised electronics in the configuration menu. That got my touch plate working, however I didn't realize until the next day that changing that setting messed up the proximity sensors. My Z sensor changed to X and my X sensor switched to Y++.....I switched the setting in the configuration menu back to what I originally had it and my touch plate magically started working (or so I thought). I ran the squaring file and noticed the machine seemed to be WAY out of square. I tried running it again and while going through the touch plate sequence I had to E Stop the machine because the touch plate wasn't registering again....I reset Mach4, ran the touch plate sequence again, same issue. Tried it for a third time and everything worked fine. On a whim, I checked the machine configuration tab to make sure my touch plate dimensions were accurate and noticed that my stepper motor size showed NEMA 23.....I'm assuming this reset when I changed the revision for the electronics. I ran the probing sequence again and it worked perfectly and it zero'd exactly like it should have. SO with that being said, my issue with the zero being about 3/8" off is fixed, however I'm still having intermittent issues with the touch plate and I have to E Stop it everything now and then. I contacted AVID CNC customer support again and they said there might be a loose wire or something inside the touch plate, although that's extremely rare. They are sending me a new one free of charge anyways and I'll send them mine back. One of the reasons I purchased their machine was because everyone has said their customer service is top notch and I've found that it is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Definitely great customer support. I've had intermittent issues with something like you describe in the past. With windows running and mach3 though. I could move the mouse during a cut and sometimes the machine would go wacky and bury or break the bit.
    I got a different computer and it stopped. Although, I do not touch anything while it's running. If it weren't sick a huge thing to do, I would swap the controller and move to something different completely. Linux maybe. Or an offline controller that windows can store the code on and monitor the movement without messing up anything.
    I've had the touch plate depress a few times as well. I never figured out what happened. I chocked it up to the old computer I ran previously. It hasn't happened yet with the new one.
    I've thought of using Mach 4 too. But I have my setup customized too much to bother. It would take too long to convert. I have a custom 4th axis and great working probing routines for it. I don't want to build cncs. I want to use them.