Avid touch plate occasionally moves spindle up

Thread: Avid touch plate occasionally moves spindle up

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Avid touch plate occasionally moves spindle up

Looking for suggestions: I have a 2 years old CNCRP Pro 4848 with stock plug and play Nema34 system and spindle.

I occasionally have a problem when changing bits. When I hit hit auto zero button in Mach3, the spindle slowly raises, instead of lowering. Sometimes the spindle will slowly lower but stop before the bit hits the plate, acting like it does when operating properly but not actually touching. If I shut down Mach3 and reinitialize it works. I just hate doing that in the middle of a job.

Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Avid touch plate occasionally moves spindle up

Could be a problem with your Mach3 installation.
    Could be a problem with your Auto Zero macro.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mgaylo View Post
    Looking for suggestions: I have a 2 years old CNCRP Pro 4848 with stock plug and play Nema34 system and spindle.

I occasionally have a problem when changing bits. When I hit hit auto zero button in Mach3, the spindle slowly raises, instead of lowering. Sometimes the spindle will slowly lower but stop before the bit hits the plate, acting like it does when operating properly but not actually touching. If I shut down Mach3 and reinitialize it works. I just hate doing that in the middle of a job.

Any thoughts?
    Mach3 has little quirks. Others will say not , switch over to Mach4 and I am assuming your using Warp9 ESS.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Mach3 has little quirks. Others will say not , switch over to Mach4 and I am assuming your using Warp9 ESS.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to Mach4, maybe I’ll take the plunge.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't purely blame it on Mach3. I now do run Mach4 however.
    That being said I have pretty much the same setup you do and have never encountered what you describe.
    It could be the setup of your software but isn't purely because it is mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's really strange. Now, if you jog right after that, does everything work like it should? If so, I'd have to take a look at that autozero routine to see what it is doing. I wrote my own routine for zeroing when I used Mach 3 (a modified version of one of several out there). I never encountered anything like you describe. I recently upgraded to Mach4. I was all set to get to work writing my own and discovered that the Avid install has a Z zero option that works great. I was using my own plate that I made and it worked fine. Birthday Santa brought me an Avid touch plate and I just started using it the last few weeks and I really like it. My plate was a little crude and my corner finder setup was even more so, but it worked.

You might try creating your own button and routine and see what happens. Or study the routine (script/macro/whatever) and try and understand what and why.

Good luck. Let us know if you figure it out. I'm curious.

On the Mach 4 upgrade...No issues with it and I like the format a little better. Took a little time to get used to the "new," but Its familiar to me now. My biggest hurdle was the programming. Very different. Lots of help over on the Mach 4 forums though. I have several buttons I created to do simple tasks like park, move to the spot I like for tool changes, raise the Z all the way up to get it out of the way, move to work 0, etc.

Tony