BenchTop Pro or Base Model?

Thread: BenchTop Pro or Base Model?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BenchTop Pro or Base Model?

All I ever work with is wood (may want to try some basic aluminum parts on an unpaid basis)and I generally raster finish pieces so acceleration is the most important premise.

My 6040 machine works but I do not trust that I'll be able to fix it if a bearing seizes as I get the sense some things may be "custom fit" or not readily be replaceable; therefore, I've concluded a Benchtop machine from Avid isn't a bad idea, and starting fresh with their Nema 23 package is a quick way to get everything going at a decent cost.
    (Bringing in a new machine appears to be the right decision and DIY everything is too cumbersome)

The one thing I see is that the Pro model has solid aluminum X/Z axis supports and the Standard model is a mix of thin steel plates coupled with 8020 style extrusion.
    Is the Standard model sufficiently ridged for woodworking from the perspective that my current 6040 suites me decently?
    Will it be a step back from the 6040 machine for my applications?

I'm at the point where I don't think the extra $1200 will help me and this economy (my work is very unstable but all I got) is uncertain but I also realize some of you users might have experience that could be of potential use.

The acme drive doesn't bother me at all (less things dust can mess up and I just do wood) and less rigidity doesn't, however, I know people here have significantly more experience, and I don't want something that's extremely reliable (on spec, documented, etc) but "far worse" performance wise than the 6040 that works decently but could fail irreparably in the future.

Thank you for the time and the $0.02.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jm82792; 06-22-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: additional clarifications

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BenchTop Pro or Base Model?

I think you will be able to repair your 6040 indefinitely.Why would the parts cease to be available?Bearings are normally easily found and steppers and leadscrews are pretty common.Rails and carriages are all over cyberspace and the rest of the machine doesn't have too many moving parts to wear out.If you have an overwhelming desire for a new machine,go ahead,but if you know how to use a spanner you may be getting unduly concerned.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I could readily fix it but the risk is too high to take the single decent machine I have offline and see how it'll all fit together as I've seen some bodged factory work that might not be totally standardized.

I appreciate the candor--I'm overthinking this and simply need to do what's needed to be done.

Last edited by jm82792; 06-23-2020 at 02:13 PM.

I just got my Benchtop Pro running a few weeks ago and still tweaking and learning the ropes. Very satisfied but can't really answer your question because i think you need to hear from people that have the standard version and whether they wish they'd "gone pro" or whether they're totally satisfied too.
    Best of luck in your decision and be sure to check out the avid Facebook group. Might find some answers there....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk