Inconsistent Linear Motion On Pro Router

Thread: Inconsistent Linear Motion On Pro Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inconsistent Linear Motion On Pro Router

Howdy all,

Have a 5x10 Pro router at work. Centroid controller (Acorn) with NEMA 34 ClearPath servos. Been having an interesting time trying to get the turns ratio dialed in.

Started from the information on the website:

PRO Rack and Pinion Drive, NEMA 34 | Avid CNC

pi/3.2 gear reduction = .9817" of linear travel per motor revolution. Centroid's software (CNC12) is setup in turns/inch of travel. Reciprocal of .9817"/rev = ~1.01864. That's what I used as my starting point, ~1.01874 turns of the motor shaft per inch of linear travel.

That number results in incorrectly sized pockets, however, so I indicated in a couple 246 blocks on the table with a test indicator and started adjusting the turns ratio until touching off on both sides of the block resulted in correct figures.

Here's the strange part - It's not consistent.

I setup a 10" stack with the 246 blocks (6" side butted up against the 4" side of another block), zero'd out a test indicator on one side of the stack, then zero'd again on the other side of the stack. Adjusting the turns ratio from 1.01874 to 1.02562 results in 10" being 10", however that's the only distance that's correct. Below is an error map:

6": 6.026"
    10": 10.000"
    13": 12.977"
    16": 15.951"

I'm not sure what to make of this. There's definitely some inconsistency in the rack (moving the 246 blocks around the table causes a lot of variance), but the above numbers are all from the same localized area - I can't imagine the rack is that inconsistent over less than 2ft. And the same general sort of error repeats itself anywhere on the table.

There's negligible backlash relative to the numbers above, belt is tight as is the spring that pulls the pinion gear against the rack. ClearPath's smoothing algorithm is set to a minimum value (also tried turning it off completely, no noticeable change.)

Appreciate it,

- Apt