Need Help! Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners

Thread: Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners

Hello,

just finished my avid Benchtop Pro 2x2 and I have a question concerning the T slot bed. Moving the probe all along the bed, i have very big Highs and Lows. ( +0.10mm and -0.03mm) wich makes 0.13mm in total along the bed.
    I wonder if:

- Is it normal to have such big numbers?
    - Does someone have already tried to surface the bed to get better flatness.
    - the fact that the extrusions are round at the top, it seems non practical to use the table as it is. Does someone had success using the router straight on the aluminum T slot extrusion.
    - Are you all using spoil board, I would like to avoid mdf, did someone already tried aluminum or acetal spoil board.
    - In the case of spoil board, what is your setup, threaded holes? mdf planks in between T slots ?

Thanks

Hugues P
    Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners-img_0975-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners-img_0975-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners

not a desktop pro owner, but that sounds like it is in the tolerance of the aluminum extrusion.

Not sure if people surface the aluminum tslot table or not on those machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

You most likely would want to use some type of spoil board. If you don't you will eventually ruin that surface. Tool crashes, wrong G-Code, etc.
    It looks like your in a nice room, you will have a ton of dust cutting wood items!

Downloads
    Uploads

As above, put a spoil board on it and surface the spoil board.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am wondering what your making out of wood that requires it to be more accurate than 1/10 of one mm? Wood expands and contracts more than that! Yes put on a spoil board.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I am wondering what your making out of wood that requires it to be more accurate than 1/10 of one mm? Wood expands and contracts more than that! Yes put on a spoil board.
    I mostly do aluminum and acrylic work! Some water cooling distribution plates needs to be really accurate to not leak! I went with an acetal spoilboard

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners-15121ff4-70e6-4d78-bd72-8da51314d629-jpeg   Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners-40d2ab3a-3dda-412d-b728-bbafb753a867-jpeg   Questions for Avid CNC Benchtop Pro owners-0a102e83-0e5a-449f-8909-a289f4948db5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So you really need a milling machine and a water tight metal or whatever material your using without a gasket? I have been in and around machine shops most of my 76 years.

Downloads
    Uploads

Drives me crazy when people make this statement.
    Regardless of how much the wood moves, you'll always see that .1mm gap. You always want your parts exactly the size they're supposed to be. If they are not, it's poor craftsmanship.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Although 1/10 mm (less than .004") may be within the realm of many gap filling glues and might be acceptable to many, I think you'd be surprised by the number of Pros who consistently work to tighter tolerance (no gap). And as most Pros will tell you, working with wood is like chasing a moving target; the material is always moving, so you make allowances along the way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Drives me crazy when people make this statement.
    Regardless of how much the wood moves, you'll always see that .1mm gap. You always want your parts exactly the size they're supposed to be. If they are not, it's poor craftsmanship.
    Thats .0039 or .004 inch which is the thickness of a sheet of paper, that is why they make clamps and glue. If its metal to metal then the bolts holding the two pieces together should draw that tight enough to not leak without a gasket but most folks would have either a thin gasket or sealer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats .0039 or .004 inch which is the thickness of a sheet of paper, that is why they make clamps and glue. If its metal to metal then the bolts holding the two pieces together should draw that tight enough to not leak without a gasket but most folks would have either a thin gasket or sealer.
    As you saw on my previous post,the last picture with the water distribution plate, the gasket is a 2 mm and thrust me, i have been there, if you mill your channels too deep, you might see leak on the long run.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuguesP View Post
    As you saw on my previous post,the last picture with the water distribution plate, the gasket is a 2 mm and thrust me, i have been there, if you mill your channels too deep, you might see leak on the long run.
    Its a hobby, if you tried to hold +/- .004 in a real wood shop you would be out of a job.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've worked in a real wood shop for 25 years, and our parts are more accurate than.004".

And for the hobby stuff I do, I'm much more demanding.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Its a hobby, if you tried to hold +/- .004 in a real wood shop you would be out of a job.
    I more the "AEROSPACE" guy type