4824 Pro - controller options

Thread: 4824 Pro - controller options

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4824 Pro - controller options

Hello

Running a smaller machine. Really want to step up to something more rigid. The avid pro seems great.

But I’m looking to save some dollars, or just make it where I can afford it, lol

Controller looks like an avenue. Can anyone point me to either a build thread here. Or a place to start researching. At some point looking at a 4 axis so figure Mach 4 is the way to go

And on the actual build, I started looking at the standard. Looks like there is a money savings to peice it together. But the pro is largely plates. Do not think they sell plates only, but have not asked. Anyone piece together a plate build? Mainly the gantry plate looks tough. I have a bench mill. The others look easy to make?

But the control looks like the best way to save some coin. Then put the money in the full mechanical kit? But wanted to see if other folks have gone down this road?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Default Re: 4824 Pro - controller options

I am looking at exactly the same thing. I honestly think there is a ton of value in their prebuilt plug and play systems. However to get a machine up and going no doubt it can be done with less expense. I have considered several different options and am leaning toward gecko drives and some breed of UCCNC controller. However it is real tempting to just grab a g540 and run a NEMA 23 system especially since I have Mach 3 setup and running already on an old xp PC...ah the choices and sacrifices.

After looking on their site just a bit ago I think I will actually start with a NEMA 23 setup simply to save money and as/if this progresses for me I will build a secondary smaller table and upgrade to NEMA 34’s then. But that again it is more $$in the long road but pretty sure I want my long term plan to include multiple CNC’s because Kids have to have one too...

I am planning a 4848PRO build in the next couple of months. Look at the Gantry clearance for me that is why I definitely want the pro at their standard height and a long travel so if I need to do something thicker I can manipulate the location of the spoil board. At least that is my thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4824 Pro - controller options

After looking on their site just a bit ago I think I will actually start with a NEMA 23 setup simply to save money and as/if this progresses for me I will build a secondary smaller table and upgrade to NEMA 34’s then. But that again it is more $$in the long road

In this scenario, you'd be much better offer getting running small Nema 34's from the G540. Otherwise, you need to replace the Rack and Pinion drives if you upgrade motors in the future.
    Or, buy some cheaper Leadshines or Leadshine knockoffs to run bigger Nema 34's. THis would be cheaper, or not much more than a G540.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)