CNC RouterParts 24 x 48 Accuracy & Repeatability questions...

Thread: CNC RouterParts 24 x 48 Accuracy & Repeatability questions...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC RouterParts 24 x 48 Accuracy & Repeatability questions...

I have recently upgraded successfully to a HY 2.2KW spindle & inverter on my old 24x48 cnc router.

i'm going through some squaring and calibration exercises and seems that every time i am sitting in front of my machine, i'm letting my OCD take over and wind up spending hours chasing the mythical unicorn...

in terms of accuracy in steps/inch configuration, i am performing a 4" x 4" grid peck drill with a 1/4" bit and using 1/4" steel dowels to measure.

once this is achieved, then there's the squaring issue where i'm trying to adjust this with a movable sensor in the slaved A axis (slaved to Y)
    i'm actually using a 3-4-5 triangle jig... but open to suggestions as if your Y movement and X movement are different, then your triangle legs that you cut along the Y axis may not quite fit on the X...

so before i go nuts again... here are some questions to the pros that have a diy cnc router up and running....

1) what is your "acceptable" tolerance in the x and y?
    2) are you able to get repeatable results once calibrated?

thanks in advance,

Al

Similar Threads:
    [SIZE="1"]my first..."[B][COLOR="Red"]Big Ape[/COLOR][/B]" CNCRP 2448 [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/151447-big_apes_crp-2448_build.html"]Build Log[/URL][/SIZE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC RouterParts 24 x 48 Accuracy & Repeatability questions...

I recently ran Axis Calibration "Set Steps per Unit" on my Pro4824 after making some changes on the machine. I use a 48" steel ruler and calibrate to 46" on the X axis and 22" on the Y axis. You need to run the calibration over the longest distance possible for accuracy. I use a pointed centering bit for accurate measurement.

After calibration, I cut 18 2.05" disks out of 3/4" plywood to fit inside 2" PVC pipe for a project I'm working on. Each one measured exactly 2.05" and fit perfectly inside the pipe. I then cut 2-7.75" disks and 8-2.28" disks. Each one measured out perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

I perform the same on my 4896 but over 46x94 inches.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi K197 - It comes down to what you need for the work you do. Tolerance and repeatability are different. Machines usually have a good repeatability. The machines tolerance however is a different matter. Avid quote for their 24x48 std machines a repeatability of +/-0.003" a resolution of X-Y 0.0005" and an accuracy of +/-0.005". By accuracy I presume that the machine can move to any position within its envelope and be within a radius of 0.005" (0.13mm ) of the correct position. If absolute positions are important to you then this is the figure to check. eg a series of holes across a plate that have to register to another series of holes in another part. If you are cutting profiles then the absolute position of that profile is not important. But the tolerance of the profile to itself is. This is the repeatability and resolution figures. The resolution of 0.005" or 0.01mm means the machine can in theory move and resolve to a small amount. Some of the toolmakers I work with have machines that are verified accurate to 2um (0.00007") so the router is a far way from this. So do your tests and try to meeting the manufacturers specs. Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC RouterParts 24 x 48 Accuracy & Repeatability questions...-avid-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for the responses and ideas.

i guess i'm a bit afraid of moving machines over longer distances... last time i tried G00... ran the Z into the limit switch... lol...
    it's a learning process for sure...

i'll try those ideas and come back again with reports.

thanks again.

Al

[SIZE="1"]my first..."[B][COLOR="Red"]Big Ape[/COLOR][/B]" CNCRP 2448 [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/151447-big_apes_crp-2448_build.html"]Build Log[/URL][/SIZE]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a CNCRP Pro 60x120 machine in production use and it’s been great. Not an industrial machine but doesn’t cost like one either. But it has absolutely been making me money for several years now.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound