Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.

Thread: Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.

I've been plotting to add a plasma torch to my CNCRP Pro 60120.. and thought I'd share this design and get feedback from the forum.

When using the plasma, I will fab up a protective cover for the spindle so it stays clean.
    It's meant to hold a 35mm Hypertherm torch, has a floating head and uses an inductive proximity sensor to detect contact.

Whilst it looks like the main plate is in 2 pieces, it will actually be milled out of a single piece of 245mm x 150mm 16mm thick 6061 plate
    Brackets out of 12mm plate and the torch plate 6mm. Sourced a 15mm linear guide rail off eBay for $40.

Looking at a Neuron Lite/Ohmic but the english emails seem to take longer to read !

Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.-cncrp-spindle-mount-aw-rebuild-v11-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.-cncrp-spindle-mount-aw-rebuild-v11-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwong2000 View Post
    I've been plotting to add a plasma torch to my CNCRP Pro 60120.. and thought I'd share this design and get feedback from the forum.

When using the plasma, I will fab up a protective cover for the spindle so it stays clean.
    It's meant to hold a 35mm Hypertherm torch, has a floating head and uses an inductive proximity sensor to detect contact.

Whilst it looks like the main plate is in 2 pieces, it will actually be milled out of a single piece of 245mm x 150mm 16mm thick 6061 plate
    Brackets out of 12mm plate and the torch plate 6mm. Sourced a 15mm linear guide rail off eBay for $40.

Looking at a Neuron Lite/Ohmic but the english emails seem to take longer to read !

Upgrades to my 2018 CNCRP Machine.. Plasma time.-cncrp-spindle-mount-aw-rebuild-v11-jpg

I run plasma and spindle on my pro 48x48. Have for about 7 months now. I run the CNC Router Parts setup with dual z-axis. Works REALLY well. I don't cover my spindle, maybe should. It has some spots on it from mild splashes, but that's about it. Nothing I've needed to worry about yet.

One thing you may run into is interference from the torch on your prox sensors. I've grounded my machine according to Hypertherm's specs. I run the plasma cable as far away from other wires as possible to reduce electrical noise, but I was still getting false triggers of Z and X limit switches. Usually during the piercing when the plasma first fires.

What I ended up doing is turning off my limit switches. They are still there for homing AND they will still stop me when I am moving the machine manually, but not when the machine is running g-code. I always check my limits before I start anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems such a long time ago.. actually managed to make my first cut yesterday !

It's been a really rewarding journey.. a bit more to go - fabricate the downdraft duct and table slats.

Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew, holy crap headset warning next time!!! LOL

Looks like it works great!

Downloads
    Uploads

I owned and used a PlasmaCAM for a number of years. The dust is terrible and yes I had a fan and water table but its all over. Very hard on your lungs and wood / metal to not play well in the same shop. I sold the PlasmaCAM years ago… but I still find the dust from time to time.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro