Need Help! Plug and Play spindle setup problems

Thread: Plug and Play spindle setup problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plug and Play spindle setup problems

I need help setting up the plug and play spindle with my older Pro 4896 table(crp300 electronics).
    I have set up all the hardware according to the instructions that came with the spindle setup. I have checked and triple checked the settings that I changed in Mach 3 based on the instructions from cnc router parts. When I press the test button on the PMDX 107 the spindle runs for 30 seconds. The issue that I'm having is that now Mach 3 doesn't seem to do anything at all. Not only does the spindle not move thru mach but nothing else does either. It appears to recognize its connection to the smooth stepper, and no errors seem to be present. The smooth stepper lights appear normal. For some reason the "outputs enabled" LED on the pmdx 126 is not lit. When I try to jog any axis the DRO moves in mach 3 as it should but it has no effect on the table. Same deal with the spindle controls on the mach screen. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try? I need the table for a big project that starts on Wednesday and I'm starting to feel a little bit nervous about getting it back on line by then. This was a table that I bought used last year and I have been using it with no problems with a porter cable router...If I can't get control of the spindle is it a simple matter of changing all the mach and pmdx126 settings back to how they were or only some of them? Can I leave the speed control card connected(pmdx 107)? EDIT- If I disable charge pump I can get everything to work...Is it ok to run it like that?
    Thanks in advance, I'm going a lil' nuts here.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by MikeyWelds; 04-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plug and Play spindle setup problems

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyWelds View Post
    I need help setting up the plug and play spindle with my older Pro 4896 table(crp300 electronics).
    I have set up all the hardware according to the instructions that came with the spindle setup. I have checked and triple checked the settings that I changed in Mach 3 based on the instructions from cnc router parts. When I press the test button on the PMDX 107 the spindle runs for 30 seconds. The issue that I'm having is that now Mach 3 doesn't seem to do anything at all. Not only does the spindle not move thru mach but nothing else does either. It appears to recognize its connection to the smooth stepper, and no errors seem to be present. The smooth stepper lights appear normal. For some reason the "outputs enabled" LED on the pmdx 126 is not lit. When I try to jog any axis the DRO moves in mach 3 as it should but it has no effect on the table. Same deal with the spindle controls on the mach screen. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try? I need the table for a big project that starts on Wednesday and I'm starting to feel a little bit nervous about getting it back on line by then. This was a table that I bought used last year and I have been using it with no problems with a porter cable router...If I can't get control of the spindle is it a simple matter of changing all the mach and pmdx126 settings back to how they were or only some of them? Can I leave the speed control card connected(pmdx 107)? EDIT- If I disable charge pump I can get everything to work...Is it ok to run it like that?
    You could have more than one thing causing your problem, what spindle and VFD Drive do you have and has the VFD Drive been Programed correct, when the spindle runs for 30seconds does it give a fault

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

There are several setup options with that Plug and Play setup you have. When I hooked my Non Plug and Play VFD to the Plug and Play (stay with me now) Control box I purchased the cable and plug setup from them Shoot them an email in the morning or right now they will get back to you with the correct answer soon. As I recall the VFD they supply comes pre-programmed so I would not mess with it unless they tell you what to do.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    There are several setup options with that Plug and Play setup you have. When I hooked my Non Plug and Play VFD to the Plug and Play (stay with me now) Control box I purchased the cable and plug setup from them Shoot them an email in the morning or right now they will get back to you with the correct answer soon. As I recall the VFD they supply comes pre-programmed so I would not mess with it unless they tell you what to do.
    I emailed cncrouterparts but by the time they got back to me I had left the shop so I couldn’t verify my settings. Their response was that I needed to configure the charge pump in Mach 3 and set the PMDX 126 to normal mode with charge pump. I am pretty sure that I did both those things according to the manuals but I will look at it again tomorrow. The ESS documentation says that the charge pump is only really needed with the older parallel port setups. Since it seems to work without charge pump is there any harm in running it this way?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You could have more than one thing causing your problem, what spindle and VFD Drive do you have and has the VFD Drive been Programed correct, when the spindle runs for 30seconds does it give a fault
    No faults are given. The vfd is a delta preconfigured from cncrouterparts. It appears to work flawlessly when the charge pump is disabled in Mach 3 and on the BOB.

Downloads
    Uploads

No faults are given. The vfd is a delta preconfigured from cncrouterparts. It appears to work flawlessly when the charge pump is disabled in Mach 3 and on the BOB.
    Good VFD Drive is the charge pump connected to the VFD Drive check this configuration is correct

So the Charge Pump is either configured incorrect,( possible wire Connection ) or it is seeing /detecting a fault somewhere

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach 3 is set up t use port 1 pin 17 for charge pump. PMDX 126 is set to normal mode with charge pump. No motor outputs on PMDX 126(the light is off). Mach is connected to the ESS showing no errors but doesn't move anything but the DRO. If I change the PMDX dip switch setting to "Normal mode" and deactivate charge pump in mach everything including the spindle works perfectly. Are there any other charge pump settings that I am missing?

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to call PMDX....

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)