Newbie CNCRP Benchtop Pro or Standard 2424

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNCRP Benchtop Pro or Standard 2424

Default CNCRP Benchtop Pro or Standard 2424

I am ready to pull the trigger after all my research. Final decision is between the benchtop pro and the standard. I found similar threads here, but a little older. Wondering if there are updated opinions now that more folks have these in hand.

Will be used for hard wood and aluminum, including precision engraving for items like custom coasters and computer part frames. Might make a few hundred of these a year, 20-30 pc parts a year. Decent amount of wood work.

Pro
    They use similar aluminum extrusions but appears the pro is double the thickness across the gantry and connecting sides under the table.
    Ballscrew driving – less backlash issues, but more worry about dust mucking them up. Anyone have issues with these needing to be replaced for this reason or do the guards do a good job?
    Tslot standard – nice to have, not sure I need.
    Overall, looks more robust.

Standard
    Known to still be very sturdy and I probably could buy extra extrusions to bolster it up to the Pro on that level, but still not a solidly built.
    Acme lead screws – can wear out, but is that an issues with CNCRPs? Have folks had to replacement them?
    Has anyone upgraded their benchtop system to ballscrews as they weren’t happy? Notice a difference?

Price difference is $1,400.

Part of me wants to go all in and get the Pro for the sake of it, which is terrible logic. Is there that much more value in the two builds?

Anyone lay hands on both? My biggest fear is deflection when working aluminum.

Other difference I am not thinking of?

Any that one way or the other have additional thoughts that made you make the decision?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by mithiral67; 03-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNCRP Benchtop Pro or Standard 2424

Get the Pro, if not you will always wonder why. You can install a heavy duty spindle if you want. The linear rails are more accurate. Most Standard users are looking to upgrade.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I add one suggestion? If you went with a 4x2 pro for another $400 it gives you some more capacity and a lot of room for growth. With woodworking the 4' width is a good standard. You even have the option to tile a full 4x8 sheet of material if you wanted.....opens up a lot of possibilities. Or you could later add on to your machine and have a full 4x8 model at your disposal. If your parts fit a 2x2 bed size now, then you can run twice as many at once on a 4x2 or have some extra real estate to leave a jig or fixture in place at all times. I am a woodworker like you, and with 4x8 sheets so easily available it could open up another sales outlet. Between the two you listed I would go for the pro, I see a lot of positive comments on linear guides for the any of the CNCRP machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

What he said, 2x4 lot less cutting of materials.

Downloads
    Uploads

After watching this, I'd definitely go for the PRO.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojunkie View Post
    Can I add one suggestion? If you went with a 4x2 pro for another $400 it gives you some more capacity and a lot of room for growth. With woodworking the 4' width is a good standard. You even have the option to tile a full 4x8 sheet of material if you wanted.....opens up a lot of possibilities. Or you could later add on to your machine and have a full 4x8 model at your disposal. If your parts fit a 2x2 bed size now, then you can run twice as many at once on a 4x2 or have some extra real estate to leave a jig or fixture in place at all times. I am a woodworker like you, and with 4x8 sheets so easily available it could open up another sales outlet. Between the two you listed I would go for the pro, I see a lot of positive comments on linear guides for the any of the CNCRP machines.
    I honestly didn’t look into the regular ones as I have a bit of a space constraint. I have a two car garage and only 90 x 40 inch space in the front of my garage (that could be extended by 2 feet as I have my second set of tires on my car in the corner taking up a lot of space). I planned to make a long work bench with a higher top to allow me to have the nose of my car slip a little under the table. But I see the 2x4 is actually a little narrower. Hmmmm. Space still would be tight, with the benchtop version, I would have 4 feet of empty space on my bench where only 2 feet with the 4x2. Lots to think about, because the 4x2 would be amazing for big wood pieces, though I dont have any planned atm.

My key focus would be on aluminum work, then wood work. I thought the 2 foot gantry and screws on the benchtop would be much more ridge for that type of work vs the 4x2 ones, no?

I plan on moving in the next 2-5 years though mainly so I can get a three car garage so I can have a proper workshop.

Last edited by mithiral67; 03-15-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you make a bench or table make it high enough and put it on casters that would work. Casters that lock and they make some really good ones. If your doing the CNC RP one you could extend the bed out to a 4x4 size at some future date. Check with them to make sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    If you make a bench or table make it high enough and put it on casters that would work. Casters that lock and they make some really good ones. If your doing the CNC RP one you could extend the bed out to a 4x4 size at some future date. Check with them to make sure!!
    Bingo, exactly what I am going to do. I was going to make it about 7 feet long, on casters so I can pull out and work with ease. Will need to brace accordingly underneath as well have more than 4 legs to ensure its nice and flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    After watching this, I'd definitely go for the PRO.
    looks beefy doesnt it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
    Bingo, exactly what I am going to do. I was going to make it about 7 feet long, on casters so I can pull out and work with ease. Will need to brace accordingly underneath as well have more than 4 legs to ensure its nice and flat.

- - - Updated - - -

looks beefy doesnt it
    But I did not think it comes with the spindle or electronics control boxes. . Its only 2x3 size not 2x4, but that may be fine for what your going to do. Nice heavy duty machine.

But I do not think it comes with the spindle or electronics control box? Its only 2x3 size not 2x4, but that may be fine for what your going to do. Nice heavy duty machine.
    Correct, will buy there PNP kit and then a HY 2.2k spindle.

Yea, the benchtop is smaller, designed for folks like me with limited pace.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
    Correct, will buy there PNP kit and then a HY 2.2k spindle.

Yea, the benchtop is smaller, designed for folks like me with limited pace.
    I have the PNP setup on mine and its a 4x4, that spindle is a good one. I did not purchase that or the VFD from them, and wished I had. The company is so good. Love doing business with them.

I have the PNP setup on mine and its a 4x4, that spindle is a good one. I did not purchase that or the VFD from them, and wished I had. The company is so good. Love doing business with them.
    Raises a great question. I originally started with question with a full quote from CNCRPs for a build, said, nope $9k is more then I wanted to spend.

Went down to the $1.2k china builds, then have part by part dont research for solid dyi alternatives. Then found that for a reasonable price more, CNCRPs offers a quality option. Did that for the table, then the electornics, how the question of the spindle and vfd.

I see a lot of folks support the cheaper spinlds ($400) all in vs their $1,700 kit. Where does that jump make sense for me?

Thanks,
    James

Downloads
    Uploads

I see a lot of folks support the cheaper spinlds ($400) all in vs their $1,700 kit. Where does that jump make sense for me?
    If you have $1700 and don't want to spend any time doing it all yourself. Are you capable of wiring it into their control box?

You do get a little bit better spindle with a real warranty, but you can buy a spare chinese VFD and 2 spare spindles for under $1000.

Some people don't mind building their machines, other just want to plug it in and use it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Or for that size machine a router motor would work just fine. Cost about $130 and a mount $75 or so. I used a Hitachi on mine, very low noise level. The control box already is set up for a router motor with plug ins underneath. But you only get two collet sizes, 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Speed control on the top of the router motor. No messing with water cooled a pain, and setting up the VFD. Most of my smaller work is done with 1/4 inch tooling anyway.

PS Yes I now have a air cooled spindle on mine with a VFD but it requires 220/240 volts for the VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there such thing as a VFD with 110V input that will run one of the Chinese 2.2kw water-cooled spindles?

Hey. I have 220 in my garage. I could go their kit for ease, only thing holding me off of CNCRPs kit is that it’s air cooled. I was leaning towards water to cut noise and to avoid blowing around chips. I am used to watercooling PCs, pretty sure I can deal with it here.

Going china spindle kit still make sense or am I prioritizing things wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

110/120 volts not a good choice at all for a 3 phase spindle, some VFD's will take 120 volts and convert to 240 v 3 phase and for a really small Hp spindle might be ok. I had one and it was fine, but maybe 3/4 Hp. Your much better off with 220/240 volt single phase or 3 phase if you have it available.

My air cooled spindle does not blow dust around. You will need a dust collection system anyway. Water cooled is a pain. I had one and my laser is water cooled also. Unless you run a sealed system with a refrigerated chiller like my laser, you will need to deal with algae.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ddurbs21 View Post
    Is there such thing as a VFD with 110V input that will run one of the Chinese 2.2kw water-cooled spindles?
    The Chinese make them, but they should be avoided, as they don't usually work very well.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

110/120 volts not a good choice at all for a 3 phase spindle, some VFD's will take 120 volts and convert to 240 v 3 phase and for a really small Hp spindle might be ok. I had one and it was fine, but maybe 3/4 Hp. Your much better off with 220/240 volt single phase or 3 phase if you have it available.

My air cooled spindle does not blow dust around. You will need a dust collection system anyway. Water cooled is a pain. I had one and my laser is water cooled also. Unless you run a sealed system with a refrigerated chiller like my laser, you will need to deal with algae.
    I am confused on your comments about volts. I have 220 in my garage, so I will get a 220 vfd and spindle. I will have to research if I want single or 3 phase vfd, but its pretty plug and play power wise as long as I buy the right 220v combo, no?

With wood, yes, will use a dust collection system. On aluminum, I will be blasting it with a coolant anyways, so your right, the air movement created by the spindle shouldn't be an issue.

On watercooling, I have a 1,350 watt radiator with fans and pumps laying around designed to keep water temps below 40C. This works flawlessly with my PC when its dumping about 1,000 watts into the system (albeit I have 3,500 watts of cooling in the system, because overkill . The fluid has anti corrosion and anti algae additives by design as growth and metal mixing is a problem here, and years of use doesnt cause growth.

I dont know how much heat these spindles will put into the system, I would think I easily adjust my cooling set up to handle what ever heat it creates. My PC has $3,700 worth of watercooling parts alone. While they are designed to cool and look awesome, I can do a lot of cooling on the cheap when I dont care how they look.

Up to what temperature can these spindles operate at? PC world is tough as CPUs can jump 60c+ above the water temp in seconds as you are dumping 350watts through a chip the size of a stamp. So water temps have to be kept below 40C ideally as most CPUs throttle at 105c. Where as my GPUs with similar water temps and similar watts running through them only go up to 55C or 15 to 20C above the water temps. This is because they usually have larger dies (2-4 times bigger than cpus). I am assuming 2,200 watts over the larger spindle will allow for the water temp and the safe operating temps to be closure than the CPU world. As the large the delta between the air and water is, the more efficient the system is. So hoping to get more bang for the buck with my parts than on a PC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I could go their kit for ease, only thing holding me off of CNCRPs kit is that it’s air cooled. I was leaning towards water to cut noise and to avoid blowing around chips. I am used to watercooling PCs, pretty sure I can deal with it here.

Going china spindle kit still make sense or am I prioritizing things wrong?
    Chinese air cooled spindles are very quiet, and don't blow a lot of air.
    I've seen the argument about the spindle blowing chips around a LOT over the years. My opinion is that you should have a dust collector many times more powerful than the spindle cooling fan, which makes this point invalid. Without a decent dust collector, you'll have a room full of chips, and dust everywhere. A lot more than you'd think.

And with air cooled, you don't have to deal with any water cooling hassles.

I'd never pay $1700 for their spindle when I can get this for $300. But then I design and build my own machines.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/251263506939

(I own this VFD and two of these spindles)

The CNCRP spindle is probably louder than the round chinese spindles, as the square ones have different fans and better cooling. But a haven't heard anyone say they weren't happy with their cheap, round, chinese spindles.
    I would not recommend a normal router. The bearings just won't last long.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast