V-Rail vs Linear Guide Rail

Thread: V-Rail vs Linear Guide Rail

Default V-Rail vs Linear Guide Rail

I am trying to get comfortable with buying a used 4 year old PRO4848 with V-Rails and low hours vs a new PRO4848 with the new linear guide rails. Could I hear from those of you with V-Rails and are satisfied with their accuracy and rigidity? I have only read comments about how superior the linear guide rails are but the cost difference is significant to me, so just trying to understand if it's really worth spending the extra money. I haven't really seen anything negative about the V-Rails. I will be using the machine for inlays and furniture so would like as high accuracy as I can afford. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: V-Rail vs Linear Guide Rail

are the v rails and their roller bearings arranged properly or are they subject to slop in the bearings.

and even if they are subject to slop in the bearings are the bearings doubled up and preloaded or are they just a V groove sleeve press fit on a bearing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen people with V Rail machines upgrade them to linear bearings, if that tells you anything.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't think I know how to tell... is there an easy way to see that?

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought my CNCRP Pro 5x10 machine before the linear bearings were out and while I was building my machine, the linear bearing machines were released. I ordered the upgrade immediately so never actually used the V-con rails; I sold the parts to another user here. So you could save money and buy the current machine safe that if you needed or when you went, you can order the upgrade and have an up to date machine. You can reach out to CNCRP now to get a quote for the upgrade so you’ll know what your full cost would be.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the exact same situation as David, so I've only used Linear Rails. With linear rails, the machines are very ridged and accurate. I did leave the v-con Z axis on mine.