Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Well. wiring instructions for 30 drives?! All drives have optoisolator inputs, there is not even 30 possible variations of connections.
    So documenting connection for 30 drives is a big redundancy in documentation which probably makes the documentation long with lots of parts useless for the avarage user and then too long to find things in it.
    The documentation of the UCCNC is really more technical. it gives general diagrams which makes the documentation short but useful because all required information is still there to connect any type and kind of drives.
    Exact connection information is probably the best for dummies, but with an avarage IQ which is required to build a machine or a controller or any technical things like a CNC machine I think anybody can put these things together from general info to exact info.
    Yes you have to think a bit, but it does not hurt does it?

Dual drive: 2 pages for what? You just select the slave axis for the master axis in the UCCNC and that's all you need to do, you have dual/slaved axis. Maybe it is just overcomplicated in the Centroid if it needs 2 pages of documentation.
    In the UCCNC everything is freely configurable you can put any axis or any signals to any pins so exact wiring is not the best, because the possible connection variations is about infinite.

What I wrote is only my 2 cents, please do not get offended by it. I know everybody is different and think different. This is how I see it. others might see it different.
    Documenting 30 drives may be redundant (and that figure was my quick scan of the files in the .zip I downloaded, could be I misunderstood what was there) but redundant downloaded .pdf files sound like a no harm, no foul kind of issue. I simply go down the list of files in the .zip file, pick out the make and model of my drivers, open the .pdf and have the specific schematic for my application which clearly sets out pin to pin connections.

And it was actually 20 pages for the dual axis documentation, but it was twenty really detailed pages that went through every possible iteration for achieving the result, including software and hardware slaving, and discussed how to do each, in detail, and described what you did and didn't get with each approach.

An infinite array of possible pin out combinations in UCCNC may be great for an experienced user, but if I don't see a use for me, can do what I think I want to do with the Acorn and I'm not particularly paying more for it, I don't see the issue. I'll happily cop to wanting the "CNC for Dummies" controller and documentation version. But it goes beyond even that. The Centroid approach looks like a successful company who has so far supplied industrial customers attempting to bring that same level of professionalism and customer service to the DIY market. I'm drawn to that and that's why I ordered the Acorn this evening.

Downloads
    Uploads

Flicked through all of this..

I run UCCNC, ETH300/UB1, DMM 750w servos on a CNCRP60120.. Xbox for remote control, fusion360 for CAD/CAM. 3.5kw Chinese spindle.

It’s a solid system and am still getting it dialed in for bigger jobs but so far it’s been accurate to fractions of a mm, having the servos has been more complicated and a learning curve but I’m there now.

Would do it again.. but I don’t run it at 1200ipm. Don’t really need to.

Let me know if you have some more detailed questions as a picture can be worth a long email!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mkelcy View Post
    Documenting 30 drives may be redundant (and that figure was my quick scan of the files in the .zip I downloaded, could be I misunderstood what was there) but redundant downloaded .pdf files sound like a no harm, no foul kind of issue. I simply go down the list of files in the .zip file, pick out the make and model of my drivers, open the .pdf and have the specific schematic for my application which clearly sets out pin to pin connections.

And it was actually 20 pages for the dual axis documentation, but it was twenty really detailed pages that went through every possible iteration for achieving the result, including software and hardware slaving, and discussed how to do each, in detail, and described what you did and didn't get with each approach.

An infinite array of possible pin out combinations in UCCNC may be great for an experienced user, but if I don't see a use for me, can do what I think I want to do with the Acorn and I'm not particularly paying more for it, I don't see the issue. I'll happily cop to wanting the "CNC for Dummies" controller and documentation version. But it goes beyond even that. The Centroid approach looks like a successful company who has so far supplied industrial customers attempting to bring that same level of professionalism and customer service to the DIY market. I'm drawn to that and that's why I ordered the Acorn this evening.
    You have made your selection, sounds good that this forum thread helped you to do that.

I myself like technical documentations which tells you what you want to know more than dummy docummentation with lots of useless infos where you have to search a lot to find things, but as always it is maybe just me.

Customer service: UCCNC has their own forums and always replied me within 24 hours for any questions, I do not need better than that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwong2000 View Post
    Flicked through all of this..

I run UCCNC, ETH300/UB1, DMM 750w servos on a CNCRP60120.. Xbox for remote control, fusion360 for CAD/CAM. 3.5kw Chinese spindle.

It’s a solid system and am still getting it dialed in for bigger jobs but so far it’s been accurate to fractions of a mm, having the servos has been more complicated and a learning curve but I’m there now.

Would do it again.. but I don’t run it at 1200ipm. Don’t really need to.

Let me know if you have some more detailed questions as a picture can be worth a long email!

I'm running UCCNC with up to 800 IPM on my plasma, it runs without any issues. Can't run faster due to limitations of the machine mechanics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Centroid has been doing professional CNC forever and they seem to know their stuff. The Acorn was a good branch out of a successful business.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

You have made your selection, sounds good that this forum thread helped you to do that.

I myself like technical documentations which tells you what you want to know more than dummy docummentation with lots of useless infos where you have to search a lot to find things, but as always it is maybe just me.

Customer service: UCCNC has their own forums and always replied me within 24 hours for any questions, I do not need better than that.
    You've made the assumption that it's an either/or - either lots of technical data but less assistance for particular builds and less detail how to do things, or lots of assistance for particular builds and lots of detail how to do things but less technical data. I don't think that's the situation at all. In this case I think it's lots of technical data, lots of easily located assistance for particular builds and lots of detail how to do things. Again, one of the things I liked about the Centroid Acorn was how readily accessible information was. Rather than wading through voluminous documentation, as you suggest, I could pretty easily find answers to my questions. That was not my experience when looking at UCCNC. I'm sure if I had gone with UCCNC I'd become more familiar with the help resources, but I'm already there with the Acorn.

I must say this UCCNC/Centroid discussion we've been having sounds like the old Apple/DOS discussions of the 80's.

The information I've gotten here has been very helpful and I thank everyone for their time and assistance.

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say this UCCNC/Centroid discussion we've been having sounds like the old Apple/DOS discussions of the 80's.
    I don't see it this way. If you do then the only one who has hard feelings is you.
    I don't care what will you use, the UCCNC or the Acorn or Mach3/4 or LinuxCNC or whatever, I was just sharing my good experiences with UCCNC (because you asked the questions) and others telling their (if they do) about the controllers they use.
    Then you can put the info together and can decide what you do and hopefully finally you will not regret your decisions.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see it this way. If you do then the only one who has hard feelings is you.
    I don't care what will you use, the UCCNC or the Acorn or Mach3/4 or LinuxCNC or whatever, I was just sharing my good experiences with UCCNC (because you asked the questions) and others telling their (if they do) about the controllers they use.
    Then you can put the info together and can decide what you do and hopefully finally you will not regret your decisions.
    You misunderstood. No hard feelings at all. People like what they like and advocate for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I do regret going with the Acorn, I'll have the experience and (hopefully) knowledge to make a better choice in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple things about this discussion.
    With a controller like the UC300ETH, connections are typically made through a 3rd party breakout board, so there is really nothing for CNC drive to document.

From what I understand about the Acorn, is that there are multiple options for wiring drives, and different drives have different requirements. Documenting all the different options saves a lot of support aggravation.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

How much power do I need in my power supplies? I'm getting a suggestion of four 1KW power supplies for four .75KW drives. That seems overkill. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

What drives? You probably should ask the manufacturer.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

DMM .75KW NEMA 34 sized servos with Dyn2 drives. Their own kit for a 4 axis .75KW servo system specifies one 48VDC 20.8A power supply for the four servos; the sales guy has spec'd four of them in my quote. Maybe it's simply a typo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Never thought of a Chinese machine - seems like the luck of the draw - could be great, could be not so great. I could go Laguna or PowerMate or any of the other "name" brands who import Chinese machines, but you're paying for the name and, hopefully, support, but I wonder about how well they can support a machine they didn't build. Right now, pending responses, it's likely CNCRP or CAMaster.
    I can assure Laguna is pretty good with service on the machine they sell. IMHO service is something worth the cost difference, as the alternative is getting a looot of headaches on the medium/long period.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi - No3 look at the 4 axis controller on stepperonline. I use it and its great for $85AUD its a bargain. For steppers up to 3A. Plus I use UCCNC and it's been very simple and done everything I need 2axis, 2.5axis and 3 axis milling. I use the UC100 motion controller. I've used the Gecko 540 and their support and the product have been excellent. But so has stepperonline and they have been much cheaper. If you are building a machine rethink the construction extrusion. Its conveinient but heavy for what it does see article I've written here http://carbon-works.com.au/wp-conten...nstruction.pdf Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

DMM .75KW NEMA 34 sized servos with Dyn2 drives. Their own kit for a 4 axis .75KW servo system specifies one 48VDC 20.8A power supply for the four servos; the sales guy has spec'd four of them in my quote. Maybe it's simply a typo.
    You have to think about inrush current and the servo drive (which has a large bank of capacitors).. if you switch on all four servo drives simultaneously you can generate a large inrush much higher than rated continuous current of the Power Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

I can assure Laguna is pretty good with service on the machine they sell.
    If you search through some woodworking forums, it would appear that Laguna service is very hit and miss. While many people get great service, you can find a lot of people that have had bad experiences with Laguna support.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I went with the DYN4 over the DYN2 to avoid even needing the power supply.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

DMM got back to me and said the 4 power supplies were a typo; that one 1KW power supply should be ample.

Downloads
    Uploads

So, I'm trying to figure out my controller build. Here's what I've got:

Enclosure (I'll size it after I see what I'm putting into it)
    Standoffs for boards
    Wire guides
    Din strips
    Breaker for AC power
    115VAC Power switch (115VAC to Acorn PS, 56VDC PS, relays for external power needs) – should 115VAC be run through a distribution terminal?
    Acorn power supply (24VDC/5VDC) – 24VDC to Acorn, 5VDC to parallel port breakout board
    E-Stop operated contactor on 56VDC PS power - Needed?
    56V power supply – + and - fused to distribution terminal then to Dyn2 drivers
    Breakers/Fuses for DC power to individual drives - needed?
    Dyn2 drivers
    Terminal blocks for limit switches/common/56VDC/5VDC/ZRI/Alarms
    Acorn
    Parallel port breakout board for wiring Acorn to drives
    Acorn relay board
    Connectors for motor power cables, encoder cables, 115 VAC power in, 115VAC Relay power out, VFD control cable, VFD speed signal cable (Can these 6 signals be in one shielded cable), 24VDC to Estop controlled 220VAC Contactor in VFD box, Ethernet cable to PC, E-stop, Home switches

I'd put all the AC stuff at one end of the box, the drivers in the middle and the Acorn at the bottom.

Am I forgetting anything?

I'm not sure how much circuit protection is needed/advisable - the AC power circuit is on a breaker already, should I have a breaker in the box? DMM recommends fusing the DC power before it gets to the Dyn2 drives. Should I fuse both before the VDC gets to a distribution terminal and then fuse the feed to the individual drives, just one or the other?

I'm also at a loss on how to size the AC and DC circuit protection and the motor power connectors. At full power, each of the motors theoretically draw a little over 13 amps, but I expect that they'll spend precious little time at full power. Do I size all the circuit protection for full power, or something less? Similarly, do I size the bulkhead cable connectors for the motor drives for 13 amps (pretty hard to find) or would 4 to 5 amp rated connectors be acceptable.

Finally, this is all less CNCRP related, is there a better forum for these electrical questions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ask DMM about their requirements.

As for your Acorn questions, I highly suggest you joint Centroid's Acorn forum and ask their. That's by far the best place to get good info on the Acorn.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I forgetting anything?
    Ask 10 different people, and they'll build their systems 10 different ways.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast