Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

Centroid has been doing professional CNC forever and they seem to know their stuff. The Acorn was a good branch out of a successful business.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You have made your selection, sounds good that this forum thread helped you to do that.

I myself like technical documentations which tells you what you want to know more than dummy docummentation with lots of useless infos where you have to search a lot to find things, but as always it is maybe just me.

Customer service: UCCNC has their own forums and always replied me within 24 hours for any questions, I do not need better than that.
    You've made the assumption that it's an either/or - either lots of technical data but less assistance for particular builds and less detail how to do things, or lots of assistance for particular builds and lots of detail how to do things but less technical data. I don't think that's the situation at all. In this case I think it's lots of technical data, lots of easily located assistance for particular builds and lots of detail how to do things. Again, one of the things I liked about the Centroid Acorn was how readily accessible information was. Rather than wading through voluminous documentation, as you suggest, I could pretty easily find answers to my questions. That was not my experience when looking at UCCNC. I'm sure if I had gone with UCCNC I'd become more familiar with the help resources, but I'm already there with the Acorn.

I must say this UCCNC/Centroid discussion we've been having sounds like the old Apple/DOS discussions of the 80's.

The information I've gotten here has been very helpful and I thank everyone for their time and assistance.

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say this UCCNC/Centroid discussion we've been having sounds like the old Apple/DOS discussions of the 80's.
    I don't see it this way. If you do then the only one who has hard feelings is you.
    I don't care what will you use, the UCCNC or the Acorn or Mach3/4 or LinuxCNC or whatever, I was just sharing my good experiences with UCCNC (because you asked the questions) and others telling their (if they do) about the controllers they use.
    Then you can put the info together and can decide what you do and hopefully finally you will not regret your decisions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I don't see it this way. If you do then the only one who has hard feelings is you.
    I don't care what will you use, the UCCNC or the Acorn or Mach3/4 or LinuxCNC or whatever, I was just sharing my good experiences with UCCNC (because you asked the questions) and others telling their (if they do) about the controllers they use.
    Then you can put the info together and can decide what you do and hopefully finally you will not regret your decisions.
    You misunderstood. No hard feelings at all. People like what they like and advocate for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I do regret going with the Acorn, I'll have the experience and (hopefully) knowledge to make a better choice in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple things about this discussion.
    With a controller like the UC300ETH, connections are typically made through a 3rd party breakout board, so there is really nothing for CNC drive to document.

From what I understand about the Acorn, is that there are multiple options for wiring drives, and different drives have different requirements. Documenting all the different options saves a lot of support aggravation.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

How much power do I need in my power supplies? I'm getting a suggestion of four 1KW power supplies for four .75KW drives. That seems overkill. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

What drives? You probably should ask the manufacturer.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

DMM .75KW NEMA 34 sized servos with Dyn2 drives. Their own kit for a 4 axis .75KW servo system specifies one 48VDC 20.8A power supply for the four servos; the sales guy has spec'd four of them in my quote. Maybe it's simply a typo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mkelcy View Post
    Never thought of a Chinese machine - seems like the luck of the draw - could be great, could be not so great. I could go Laguna or PowerMate or any of the other "name" brands who import Chinese machines, but you're paying for the name and, hopefully, support, but I wonder about how well they can support a machine they didn't build. Right now, pending responses, it's likely CNCRP or CAMaster.
    I can assure Laguna is pretty good with service on the machine they sell. IMHO service is something worth the cost difference, as the alternative is getting a looot of headaches on the medium/long period.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi - No3 look at the 4 axis controller on stepperonline. I use it and its great for $85AUD its a bargain. For steppers up to 3A. Plus I use UCCNC and it's been very simple and done everything I need 2axis, 2.5axis and 3 axis milling. I use the UC100 motion controller. I've used the Gecko 540 and their support and the product have been excellent. But so has stepperonline and they have been much cheaper. If you are building a machine rethink the construction extrusion. Its conveinient but heavy for what it does see article I've written here http://carbon-works.com.au/wp-conten...nstruction.pdf Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Planning New Machine Build - Many Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mkelcy View Post
    DMM .75KW NEMA 34 sized servos with Dyn2 drives. Their own kit for a 4 axis .75KW servo system specifies one 48VDC 20.8A power supply for the four servos; the sales guy has spec'd four of them in my quote. Maybe it's simply a typo.
    You have to think about inrush current and the servo drive (which has a large bank of capacitors).. if you switch on all four servo drives simultaneously you can generate a large inrush much higher than rated continuous current of the Power Supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I can assure Laguna is pretty good with service on the machine they sell.
    If you search through some woodworking forums, it would appear that Laguna service is very hit and miss. While many people get great service, you can find a lot of people that have had bad experiences with Laguna support.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast