Mach4 or Mach3 for new machine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mach4 or Mach3 for new machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach4 or Mach3 for new machine

Quote Originally Posted by Ctbjdm View Post
    I'll +1 for UCCNC - here's my post on how I converted from the stock CNCRP electronics to the UC300ETH controller and UCCNC; it honestly was pretty simple.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...-software.html
    +1 UCCNC. It is easy to migrate from Mach3 and it is easier to use and works better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    +1 UCCNC. It is easy to migrate from Mach3 and it is easier to use and works better.

Just curious, but what is it about UCCNC that "works better" than Mach4? Not challenging your statement. I would just like to get more detail, so I can better understand what you are saying.

Thank you,

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

He didn't say better than Mach4, he said better than Mach3.
    If I ever get my router built, I'll have to do some comparison testing, as I do have both a Mach4 hobby and Mach4 Industrial license.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious, but what is it about UCCNC that "works better" than Mach4? Not challenging your statement. I would just like to get more detail, so I can better understand what you are saying.
    - Better trajectory planner.
    - Smoother motion.
    - Faster buttons to actions.
    - Better organised screen.
    - Built in screen editor, no need to load an external and buggy screen editor program. (like you had to do with Mach3.)
    - Easier to write macros.
    - Timing is much better for plasma cutter. (One of my machines is a plasma table).
    - Can do rigid tapping on my mill. (Could not make that work with Mach3.)
    - Support.

These are the few things that I recall.

I'm talking about Mach3 with which I have a long experiences with. I do not have much experience with Mach4. I gave up on it after it frozen on me randomly which annoyed me enough to skip using it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot that it is much cheaper too than Mach3/4.

Downloads
    Uploads

- Better trajectory planner.
    - Smoother motion.
    - Faster buttons to actions.
    - Better organised screen.
    - Built in screen editor, no need to load an external and buggy screen editor program. (like you had to do with Mach3.)
    - Easier to write macros.
    - Timing is much better for plasma cutter. (One of my machines is a plasma table).
    - Can do rigid tapping on my mill. (Could not make that work with Mach3.)
    - Support.

These are the few things that I recall.

I'm talking about Mach3 with which I have a long experiences with. I do not have much experience with Mach4. I gave up on it after it frozen on me randomly which annoyed me enough to skip using it.

Thank you. I misread your earlier post. My mistake and my apologies.

I wasn't a Mach3 fan, but until I migrated to Mach4, I didn't have anything to compare it to. It's probably safe to say that all of the usual suspects are better - for all, or most of, the reasons you listed.

I admire your ability to deal with screen editing, writing macros and the like. I am pretty much the prototypical user. I can use the basic program, but making modifications is beyond me. I wish I had the time to learn, but I have too many demands on my time. Also, learning the more technical aspects hasn't been a compelling priority.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot that it is much cheaper too than Mach3/4.
    And you have options for USB, parallel port or Ethernet connectivity.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Thank you. I misread your earlier post. My mistake and my apologies.

I wasn't a Mach3 fan, but until I migrated to Mach4, I didn't have anything to compare it to. It's probably safe to say that all of the usual suspects are better - for all, or most of, the reasons you listed.

I admire your ability to deal with screen editing, writing macros and the like. I am pretty much the prototypical user. I can use the basic program, but making modifications is beyond me. I wish I had the time to learn, but I have too many demands on my time. Also, learning the more technical aspects hasn't been a compelling priority.

Gary
    I'm old as dirt so beleive me that if I could learn editing the screen and coding macros then others can too.
    It is very simple to edit the screen. You pressing the screen edit button and you can make new or copy an item. Then in the sreen editor window you set the parameters of your new button or DRO or LED, set a picture image for it, set it's function call code number and that's it. And finally you save your screen. Very simple.
    Coding basic macros is also not that hard to learn, there are example macros install with the uccnc and there is documentation for the available functions.
    and macros are complied on the fly, you can modify the macro with notepad, save it and then run it with the uccnc. No need to restart the software or to do anything else.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My .02.. I never got my machine to run right with Mach3. I switched to Centroid Acorn a year ago and couldn’t be happier!

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine working with Mach3, because the UC100 and UC400ETH work with Mach3, Mach4 and UCCNC softwares, I have used it with Mach3 for about a year, it worked pretty well but then switched to UCCNC when the license key was free with the UC400ETH and it is superior to Mach3 so I could not be happier. Using it for ~2years now.

Last edited by OlfCNC; 03-02-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12