Looking for honest opinions - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for honest opinions

Default Re: Looking for honest opinions

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The next step up from a CNCRP Pro machine would probably be a Camaster Stinger II, which starts at $13K for a 4x4. Add another $2K (±) for an HSD spindle.
    I will take a look at them, until now I had never heard of them.

-Lee

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

I was told by CNCRP over a year ago, that the reason they were still using Mach3 was due to their customers wanting it.

As mentioned, you should have no issues using Mach4 with their plug and play kit, as it uses the ESS.

You could always build your own control, using LinuxCNC, Centroid Acorn, UCCNC, etc. All are better than Mach3, and you could save money building your own system.

You could also buy a complete Acorn control setup from Gary Campbell, who does a lot of machine conversions.
    Interesting.

I am not sure why their salesman would have said that Mach4 is incompatible with there machines then.

As for building my own control system, well that's several steps above my knowledge level. Is Gary Campbell on the forum? I will do a search.

Thanks again.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you can find a CNCRP PRO4848 user near you. They do not support Mach4 but like Gary GME says no reason why the control system will not do it. Frankly I have both my laser and my router CNC on Windows 7 Pro machines and they rarely are on the Web. I have a Windows 10 Pro computer but Microsoft is always updating and I would never trust it to run a machine, if so it would never be allowed online. The Acorn control board and software is designed to run on Windows 10, but not allowed online as I recall.

I have found CNC RP to have good well designed parts and machines, plus they ship very fast, top notch company,

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee,

I have a cncrp 9648 standard and have recently moved away from mach3. I now run LinuxCNC and have been very happy with this setup. Though I do wish I had the pro version as I like the vgrove bearings better than the skate bearings, but at the time I bought, the pro wasn't available. But I'm still very happy with the machine, it does everything I ask it to do.

-Bruce

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ecurb5 View Post
    Lee,

I have a cncrp 9648 standard and have recently moved away from mach3. I now run LinuxCNC and have been very happy with this setup. Though I do wish I had the pro version as I like the vgrove bearings better than the skate bearings, but at the time I bought, the pro wasn't available. But I'm still very happy with the machine, it does everything I ask it to do.

-Bruce

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you Bruce.

Part of my hesitation is that my personal knowledge of how these things work is minimal at best. I am quite new to this.

-Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Maybe you can find a CNCRP PRO4848 user near you.

I have found CNC RP to have good well designed parts and machines, plus they ship very fast, top notch company,
    I did ask CNCRP if they had any references and Dan flat out said no. He suggested this forum to find someone willing to showoff their machine.

I am located near Albany, NY andwilling to travel out of state to see one before purchasing.

Thanks for the response.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll throw in my two cents as further reference. To first qualify...I am a hobbiest. Mechanical engineer by day, sawdust maker at night and on weekends. I mostly build furniture, but I also dabble in lots of other doo-dads. I bought a CNCRP Standard 24x48 machine. I use a Bosch 1617 router with it. An old Intel i3 based laptop running W10 - Mach3 - Vcarve (and other CAD programs for DXF file creation). I have cut wood, plastic, brass, aluminum, circuit boards, slate, vinyl, veneer, etc. with it. I rarely use more than about 24x24 of the bed, but the rest is there if I need it. C ould have gotten away with something smaller and been just as happy.

I am very happy with the machine. No real issues mechanically. I don't really see the need for anything more than what I have for what I do. I did split a bearing, but I think that was me getting a little too happy torquing things down? Easy fix. For wood, I typically run it at 100 ipm or so. I did spend a little time tweaking the setup - pretty typical though, nothing out of the ordinary. I was actually quite impressed with what it did right after assembly with no effort. I have not really ever thought it had any stability issues. Maybe I don't push it as hard as some folks? I built a base out of 2x4's and MDF. I did notice some shaking when the router changed direction, so I beefed up my original base and that went away.

I'm not a Mach3 hater. It works. It does look and feel a little DOS like! I have had some issues with ESS though. I get that dreaded error where the laptop can't keep up with the controller I think it is? CNCRP and the ESS guys have been helpful. I have to admit that it is a little frustrating when that happens. I haven't seen it in quite a while (fingers crossed). I would like to try something else, but this thing is a tool to me - not a hobby in itself and I lean towards, "Hey, its working - leave it alone!" I do keep my laptop updated. I keep it off the internet, but I update it weekly or so.

Is the CNCRP stuff perfect? Nope. But when I did my research (as you are now), most of what I read about them was good stuff vs. the others where most discussions were how to make them work at all. I would buy from them again without hesitation. Their support is great too. I do hope they put something together to get us away from mach3 someday and the ESS issues. I'm sure they will. If not, I'll just have to break down and figure out something. Fortunately, there are a lot of nice folks here and elsewhere that share (Thank you all!).

Anyway, sorry to babble. Good luck with your new machine. Don't forget the expenses outside of the machine itself. I've probably spent 1.5 - 2 x what the machine cost on all the other stuff.

I juts recently used mine to make some brass hardware for a woodworking project. I was cutting brass stock that was ~0.040". It took several attempts, but it turned out pretty good. Amazing what these things will do. I find myself cutting out all sorts of things for jigs and such, templates, etc. Been playing with a drag knife (Donek) and veneer too.

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony.

I've owned 4'x8" pro for a few years now.
    I use it in my small woodworking shop for furniture manufacturing. If you want to look at it, I am in Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Looking for honest opinions

I have visited CNCRP headquarters and seen their setup, which is in an absolutely gorgeous location east of Seattle/Bellevue. They were great in person and have provided great support in the 3+ years I’ve had my 5’x10’ CNCRP Pro NEMA 34 machine with linear rails. I use my machine to do production work for my small but growing home theater subwoofer business (soon to add speakers). I cut two 5’x5’ 3/4” Baltic Birch sheets of plywood at the same time, which takes about 35 minutes though I’m not running very fast at 250 in/min. So I have one complete 18” subwoofer cut in about 35 min, which is faster than I need and will cover my production needs for another couple years. And the results are perfectly repeatable.

The machine I’d like is a $40,000 Camaster Cobra with an ATC (automatic tool changer) but I likely won’t upgrade to that for another few years though I’ll also consider a true industrial machine with true 4-axis cutting (rotating spindle). Until then the CNCRP Pro machine is working well for my business.

The following video shows the pieces that are cut and how they are assembled. The mdf corners are purchased but everything else is cut on the machine.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I have visited CNCRP headquarters and seen their setup, which is in an absolutely gorgeous location east of Seattle/Bellevue. They were great in person and have provided great support in the 3+ years I’ve had my 5’x10’ CNCRP Pro NEMA 34 machine with linear rails. I use my machine to do production work for my small but growing home theater subwoofer business (soon to add speakers). I cut two 5’x5’ 3/4” Baltic Birch sheets of plywood at the same time, which takes about 35 minutes though I’m not running very fast at 250 in/min. So I have one complete 18” subwoofer cut in about 35 min, which is faster than I need and will cover my production needs for another couple years. And the results are perfectly repeatable.

The machine I’d like is a $40,000 Camaster Cobra with an ATC (automatic tool changer) but I likely won’t upgrade to that for another few years though I’ll also consider a true industrial machine with true 4-axis cutting (rotating spindle). Until then the CNCRP Pro machine is working well for my business.
    Thanks!

-Lee

Quote Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
    I've owned 4'x8" pro for a few years now.
    I use it in my small woodworking shop for furniture manufacturing. If you want to look at it, I am in Brooklyn Navy Yard.
    I will reach out to you in a PM.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, great feedback :-)

Now it's 2019 I'd steer away from Mach-3 and 4 (after reading various postings). I'm seriously looking at adopting the CNCNC controls essentially to get Ethernet but have become quite fond of the RichAuto DSP system. I have the A11 but need the A18 (4th axis).

It is simplistic and dedicated to what is does without any of the rubbish that goes with a PC based solution. The only real inconvenience is having to move a USB stick between PC and the Pendant to machine stuff. ie: a minor change requires the USB stick to go back and forth but with careful planning up front this can be minimal.

If you have an early model Shark, they were bit feeble but conceptually OK as a demonstration (although they do actually work) so it's not surprising there may have been disappointment. Here in Australia, they did not sell well because of this and they were horribly expensive for what they were. They made a comeback (or tried to) by re-enforcing the mechanics with a bit of aluminium but again, horribly over-priced so they failed again.

Our local supplier stopped selling the Sharks and are now offering the Axiom range - these also use the RichAuto A11 DSP but in Oz, they are way too expensive IMHO.

If you are looking for longer term investment/expansion (sounds like it), explore some of the Chinese machines - there are lots and they all seem quite similar. Another chap here has recently bought one but since discovered the table is only supported at the ends so flex may be an issue for him. This is one example of what to look out for with some of these Chinese machines.

If you do look this path be absolutely certain the maker understands what you are asking for. They seem to "understand" English very well when taking the order but not so much after they have the money and even less so if there is a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Syrfddc View Post
    Interesting.

I am not sure why their salesman would have said that Mach4 is incompatible with there machines then.

As for building my own control system, well that's several steps above my knowledge level. Is Gary Campbell on the forum? I will do a search.

Thanks again.

-Lee

Here is a link to a thread where a fellow upgraded to Mach4 on a CNCRP plug & play box: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...4x4-build.html

As I and others have said or suggested, it can be done. You may want to PM Fabrik8r_K, the fellow who upgraded to Mach4, and get more of a perspective on the upgrade.

I am puzzled why CNCRP would have told you that Mach4 won't run on their Plug & Play control, except that it isn't exactly plug and play with different control software. Maybe they are concerned that admitting Mach4 will work might create and expectation that they will support it in some fashion - especially when they have intention of doing so. Hard say, but disappointing to hear.

I've heard positive mention of Centroid Acorn control hardware/software, but if you think you will ever want to add a rotary axis, it's not the package for you - at least not in its present form. It is limited to controlling 4 steppers max. Also, you would still need to put the hardware in a box, and wire it - something I believe you indicated you weren't comfortable doing. Same with every other DIY control system. You are in good company. Hence, the popularity of the CNCRP Plug & Play boxes. They are pricey, but they save a ton of time, both in building, and learning how to do the build.

Gary

Last edited by GME; 01-18-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    Wow, great feedback :-)

Now it's 2019 I'd steer away from Mach-3 and 4 (after reading various postings). I'm seriously looking at adopting the CNCNC controls essentially to get Ethernet but have become quite fond of the RichAuto DSP system. I have the A11 but need the A18 (4th axis).

It is simplistic and dedicated to what is does without any of the rubbish that goes with a PC based solution. The only real inconvenience is having to move a USB stick between PC and the Pendant to machine stuff. ie: a minor change requires the USB stick to go back and forth but with careful planning up front this can be minimal.

If you have an early model Shark, they were bit feeble but conceptually OK as a demonstration (although they do actually work) so it's not surprising there may have been disappointment. Here in Australia, they did not sell well because of this and they were horribly expensive for what they were. They made a comeback (or tried to) by re-enforcing the mechanics with a bit of aluminium but again, horribly over-priced so they failed again.

Our local supplier stopped selling the Sharks and are now offering the Axiom range - these also use the RichAuto A11 DSP but in Oz, they are way too expensive IMHO.

If you are looking for longer term investment/expansion (sounds like it), explore some of the Chinese machines - there are lots and they all seem quite similar. Another chap here has recently bought one but since discovered the table is only supported at the ends so flex may be an issue for him. This is one example of what to look out for with some of these Chinese machines.

If you do look this path be absolutely certain the maker understands what you are asking for. They seem to "understand" English very well when taking the order but not so much after they have the money and even less so if there is a problem.
    Axiom with UCCNC is also possible:

You might also wanna look at:

https://shop.i2rcnc.com/

Thank you all for the responses. There's more input here than I thought I would get back. I think that my mind is 90% made up about going with the CNCRP Pro 4848. Knowing that they have a good sized customer base that has positive views of their products and customer service is reassuring. Also having this forum as a resource is a bonus.

Now to break this to my wife.....Looking for honest opinionsLooking for honest opinions

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Take her out for a nice dinner with a few too many bubbles first - then mention it casually... :-)

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Show her the Design & Make website with all those projects you can make! My wife loves the lake and cabin scenes.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Now to break this to my wife.....Looking for honest opinionsLooking for honest opinions

You are on your own with that one!

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for the responses. There's more input here than I thought I would get back. I think that my mind is 90% made up about going with the CNCRP Pro 4848. Knowing that they have a good sized customer base that has positive views of their products and customer service is reassuring. Also having this forum as a resource is a bonus.

-Lee

Not that it actually worked with her, but I told my wife that every project I finish I would subtract the cost of the bought item from the total of the machine. I think I've had it 2 years now and I'm more in the hole than when I started. But, I haven't spent a masters degree worth yet and I'm learning. How can you put a value on that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast