Looking for honest opinions - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for honest opinions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for honest opinions

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Honest opinion on the internet, come on man.
    As you wrote you better find some real person with a machine like that and ask his opinions about the machine.
    This made me laugh! Thanks for the response.

-Lee

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    First question would be what are you going to use your CNC for? And you’re unhappy with a hobby-level machine and want to replace it with another hobby-level machine? Then again, industrial machines are closer to $100,000 and pro machines like Camaster are $30,000 depending on size and features. The CNCRP is a quality machine with a company that provides solid support but it isn’t a pro machine with a pro level of rigidity much less industrial. Then again, I’m using a 5X10 machine for my sub business and it is doing well but I will upgrade to a pro/industrial machine at some point but it is likely a couple years down the road.
    Thanks for the response.

I am not looking to get into a 100k machine by any means. (Ouch) While I have no doubt there's a market for such capabilities, it's just way above my level. Mainly looking to expand my cutting area, speed up cutting, and take a significant step up in rigidity.

As an example, I have been making 6"x18" signs for realtors to give to their clients as closing gifts. It's a simple v-carving and takes close to an hour. I currently have to slow down my feed rates to 20-30ipm to avoid chatter.

It would be nice to have the capability to use sheet goods as well. That is mostly thinking down the road some, but I am trying to avoid spending money and in a year regretting that I didn't pony up a little more.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I know several people with CNCRP machines, and they are very happy with them. There are a ton of CNCRP users, and you just don't hear anything bad about them.
    I would only recommend the PRO version, though.

You didn't say what size machine you are looking at, but a smaller Camaster might be around $10K.

I was told by CNCRP over a year ago, that the reason they were still using Mach3 was due to their customers wanting it.

As mentioned, you should have no issues using Mach4 with their plug and play kit, as it uses the ESS.

You could always build your own control, using LinuxCNC, Centroid Acorn, UCCNC, etc. All are better than Mach3, and you could save money building your own system.

You could also buy a complete Acorn control setup from Gary Campbell, who does a lot of machine conversions.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I know several people with CNCRP machines, and they are very happy with them. There are a ton of CNCRP users, and you just don't hear anything bad about them.
    I would only recommend the PRO version, though.

You didn't say what size machine you are looking at, but a smaller Camaster might be around $10K.

I was told by CNCRP over a year ago, that the reason they were still using Mach3 was due to their customers wanting it.

As mentioned, you should have no issues using Mach4 with their plug and play kit, as it uses the ESS.

You could always build your own control, using LinuxCNC, Centroid Acorn, UCCNC, etc. All are better than Mach3, and you could save money building your own system.

You could also buy a complete Acorn control setup from Gary Campbell, who does a lot of machine conversions.
    From what I can tell, most of the CNCRP owners are quite happy with there machines, which is good to hear. It seems quite a few have had to "fine tune" their machines to achieve their desired results, which of course is subjective to every individuals own personality and opinion.

I am trying to gather as much information as I can before making the leap into a more expensive machine. Probably has a lot to do with the disappointment I have with my current machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to gather as much information as I can before making the leap into a more expensive machine. Probably has a lot to do with the disappointment I have with my current machine.
    Most machines on the market that cost less than $5k-$6K (complete, ready to run) are not very good. And there are a lot of them out there.
    Quality components are not cheap.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I want to be sure and thank all you for the great responses to my inquiry. They have been very helpful.

Most of what I do at this point is Hobbiest level work. I don't forsee becoming a large commercial/industrial cnc operator anytime in the next 10 years, or ever actually. That being said, I would like a machine that can handle larger material. An improvement in feed rates and cut quality are also desirable. Currently I have to program most vcarings at 20-30ipm to avoid chatter, even in a softer wood like Cherry, nevermind Hard Maple.

Developing this into a small one man business is certainly a goal of mine.

I believe that the CNCRP PRO4848 would be a significant improvement over my Shark HD4 (25x25) and am feeling better about this upgrade, but I really want to see one in person before I go dropping that kind of coin. Just trying to avoid buyers remorse again.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Most machines on the market that cost less than $5k-$6K (complete, ready to run) are not very good. And there are a lot of them out there.
    Quality components are not cheap.
    Yeah, I found out the hard way....

I hope that I am not sounding like a cheapskate, that's certainly not the goal, nor putting down any particular manufacturer. My current setup would be fine for most hobbyists.

As more people here about my work, requests to complete commissions is slowly increasing. The lack of capacity and rigidity is a bit of a bottleneck. I am certainly not going to get rich off this, but would like to get into a machine that would be able to pay for itself after a couple years.

Thanks again.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

The next step up from a CNCRP Pro machine would probably be a Camaster Stinger II, which starts at $13K for a 4x4. Add another $2K (±) for an HSD spindle.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

The next step up from a CNCRP Pro machine would probably be a Camaster Stinger II, which starts at $13K for a 4x4. Add another $2K (±) for an HSD spindle.
    I will take a look at them, until now I had never heard of them.

-Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting.

I am not sure why their salesman would have said that Mach4 is incompatible with there machines then.

As for building my own control system, well that's several steps above my knowledge level. Is Gary Campbell on the forum? I will do a search.

Thanks again.

-Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you can find a CNCRP PRO4848 user near you. They do not support Mach4 but like Gary GME says no reason why the control system will not do it. Frankly I have both my laser and my router CNC on Windows 7 Pro machines and they rarely are on the Web. I have a Windows 10 Pro computer but Microsoft is always updating and I would never trust it to run a machine, if so it would never be allowed online. The Acorn control board and software is designed to run on Windows 10, but not allowed online as I recall.

I have found CNC RP to have good well designed parts and machines, plus they ship very fast, top notch company,

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial union shop and Lots of hobbies. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lee,

I have a cncrp 9648 standard and have recently moved away from mach3. I now run LinuxCNC and have been very happy with this setup. Though I do wish I had the pro version as I like the vgrove bearings better than the skate bearings, but at the time I bought, the pro wasn't available. But I'm still very happy with the machine, it does everything I ask it to do.

-Bruce

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast