New Machine Build PRO4824 - Teenager Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRO4824 - Teenager Build

Default PRO4824 - Teenager Build

Hello, I am the proud new owner of the PRO4824. My current shop is about 10'x28' so needed to get the smaller version with possibility of future upgrade. 8020 finally shipped the extrusions, so started the build a couple days ago.

As you see from the pictures, the components from the Kit are all nicely labeled for every step of the build process. The kit is a joy to build and everything is going together amazingly well. It's so easy my teenage daughters are doing about 95% of the build. I am answering questions and doing the final tightening and squaring behind them.

So far, the build has taken about 5 hours - and that is with me and my daughters going slowly. The next step is to add the Z-axis and Spindle.

I will likely have some newbie questions. But the experience has been great so far.

One thing I need to address is that the X-Axis is not moving very easily right now. I lubricated as described in the video. I will need to loosen some bolts and play around a bit.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181223_205333-jpg   PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181221_235453-jpg   PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181224_183711-jpg   PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181224_132941-jpg  

PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181224_144852-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRO4824 - Teenager Build

Looking good, awesome that you have your daughters as build-buddies for the project. I wouldn't worry too much about the x-axis until you have it all put together and leveled out. It takes going around the machine several times making adjustments, but everything will eventually come together nicely.

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats! We have the same model and love it. Great to have the family involved as well. Our 10yr old son helped with ours and loves that he had a big hand in making it come to life.

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats on everything especially working with your daughters on the build! I only got to build a doll house with my daughter but still cherish the good feelings!!

Downloads
    Uploads

You and your daughters are making great progress. It sound like your keeping all the assembles lever and square which will make your progress go smoothly especially at startup. Look forward to seeing your completed machine.

Thanks guys!

Ran into my first issue. The brackets for the lower cable track fasten to the bottom of the extrusion. I did not buy the leg kit, and that is not going to work as the table is sitting on a stand and the bottom of the extrusion is not accessible. Too bad since the brackets to hold the cable track are so pretty. I will have to fashion something to attach to the table to hold the cable trays.

Well, got the machine complete. Need to start on wiring now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20181226_163426-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great. I found it better, for me, to mount my spindle higher up on the z axis mounting plate.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Looks great. I found it better, for me, to mount my spindle higher up on the z axis mounting plate.
    Yes, I will be moving it up. Where you seeing chattering or bad edges when lower?

Downloads
    Uploads

You must have worked your daughters hard the last couple of days! lol Glad to see you made great progress. You'll be up and running soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer View Post
    Yes, I will be moving it up. Where you seeing chattering or bad edges when lower?
    I moved my spindle up to get more effective z axis travel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys!

Ran into my first issue. The brackets for the lower cable track fasten to the bottom of the extrusion. I did not buy the leg kit, and that is not going to work as the table is sitting on a stand and the bottom of the extrusion is not accessible. Too bad since the brackets to hold the cable track are so pretty. I will have to fashion something to attach to the table to hold the cable trays.
    Sometimes you just have to get out the chisel and hammer and make it work!!
    Your machine looks great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys!

Pics!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO4824 - Teenager Build-pockets-cable-tray-brackets-1328x747-996x560-jpg   PRO4824 - Teenager Build-cable-tray-brackets-1328x747-996x560-jpg   PRO4824 - Teenager Build-cable-tracks-finished-1328x747-996x560-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 2012JK View Post
    Pics!
    Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately, my stand is metal with wood sides. What I end up doing is using some heavy angle irons to hold the tray. I may paint them in the future.

It was been cold here in Chicago. -26 with wind chill down to -58. My 4000 watt heater was hopelessly under-gunned. So, taking a little break from wiring up the electronics.

Also, I just did not want to use mach3 with the bull**** parallel interface. I bought the Centroid Acorn and used a modern computer. Bought a touchscreen as well to use with the Acorn. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.DIY CNC kit

Turns out the aluminum extrusion for the gantry is not very uniform. So the faces of the linear rails are not perfectly parallel - this means the faces of the linear bearing are not parallel. This causes the gantry plate to be hard to move when the screws are all tightened. You can see light under the ruler in the picture.

Looks like I will need to put some spacer in like aluminum foil to even everything up????? Any advice? Am I on the right track? Not sure exactly how many levels of foil to put in. It seemed like 6 layers of foil before it would stop freely moving under the ruler.

PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20190512_232433_smaller-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO4824 - Teenager Build-20190512_232433_smaller-jpg  
    Last edited by blitzer; 05-13-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Something is going on. I find it hard to believe that aluminum extrusion was made out of square. If so it needed to be replaced. Something else is not put together correctly?

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Something is going on. I find it hard to believe that aluminum extrusion was made out of square. If so it needed to be replaced. Something else is not put together correctly?
    Thank you for the reply. There just in not much else it could be that I can find. I have flipped the rails and flipped the linear blocks just to have the same issue in the end. The gantry plate slides much harder when you tighten down the bolts to the linear blocks.

The overall extrusion is square enough, but the slots in the extrusion are not. You can see it with the naked eye. The aluminum is bowed in in a slightly non-uniform way. So the rails(especially the top one) will not have parallel faces to each other.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the reply. There just in not much else it could be that I can find. I have flipped the rails and flipped the linear blocks just to have the same issue in the end. The gantry plate slides much harder when you tighten down the bolts to the linear blocks.

The overall extrusion is square enough, but the slots in the extrusion are not. You can see it with the naked eye. The aluminum is bowed in in a slightly non-uniform way. So the rails(especially the top one) will not have parallel faces to each other.

The non-uniformity you describe could be the 80/20 "drop lock" feature built into the extrusions. At the slots, the extrusion is slightly below the overall surface. When you put something in the slot and tighten it down, it pulls the aluminum on either side of the slot outward. In theory, it brings the slot to level with the face of the extrusion. The tension keeps the fastening bolt or screw from loosening. I'm guessing the problem is with the width of the linear profile rail and the mounting holes' relationship to dead center of the slot in the extrusion. The profile rail is pretty narrow. If the profile rail is is off center to any degree, it won't engage the drop lock properly and will cause the rail to tilt ever so slightly. This, coupled with the way CNCRP has you install the rails, might cause the problem you are observing.

I am presently building a 4 x 4 machine of my own design, but am using CNCP ball screw Z axis. To make all go as smoothly as possible, I went with 20mm profile rails and bearing blocks, although I used Hiwin components versus what CNCRP supplies. In fact, I just installed my rails on the gantry. First lesson learned: the CNCRP methodology for installing the rails is much less than optimal. Using a dial test indicator, I found that the linear rail parallel varied as much .004" to .005" along the 1660mm length (my design uses a longer gantry extrusion and longer profile rails), CNCRP has you fix the ends of the rails, and then simply tighten the rest of the fixing screws. I believe the best practice is to start at one end and work to the other. I set my second rail with a test indicator. I was able to get dead on parallel. I'll be posting on it, with photo, in the next day or two.

When I used a good straight edge to check the tops of my profile rails to ensure they were coplaner, I found that they were dead on. Not a hint of a gap anywhere. My shop made installation jig ensured that the master mounted precisely in the center of the extrusion slot.

Here is a link to the post in my thread addressing how I got my master rail on perfectly straight. While I used my shop made jigs, I didn't use it as CNCRP suggests. I set them up to match the length of my precision ground straight edge at one end, then left them there. Once I got the first 36" set, I extended the straight edge incrementally until I got the entire profile rail set. I worked from one end to the other. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-c...chinist-5.html

One other thing. When I installed the profile rails on my gantry, I installed them before I mounted my gantry. That allowed me to have the gantry extrusion laying flat on its back. Made the profile rail mounting process much easier. Downside: it made the gantry a whole lot heavier when it comes to mounting it. One of those cost/benefit analyses. I'd rather make it easier to install the linear rails and deal with more weight when installing the gantry than the deal with less weight and have a harder time installing the rails.

You might want to talk with the folks at CNCRP and see what they have to say about your issue. It's my guess that they are probably not going to have a lot to offer in the way of solutions, except to maybe offer replacement installation jigs and have you give it a go with them. Still, it's worth an ask. If they do have suggestions, it would be great if you could post them. Others may find them useful.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I forgot to mention something. My Z carriage is a bit tight as it moves along the X axis. I pressed a digital scale against it as a quick and dirt method of measuring the pounds of force required to move the carriage. It took about 7 pounds, according to the scale. Movement was very smooth, just a little tight. I have no experience with linear profile rails, so I didn't know what to expect. I experimented with the secondary rail loose, and with the bearing blocks loose. No appreciable difference. And yes, I greased the blocks. It has to do with preload. Mine are HG heavy load profiles with a medium (vs light) preload. The preload makes movement seem stiffer. I'm running NEMA 34s, so the preload shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing your preload is something closer to light, although I don't know that for sure. It's not in any of the CNCRP literature.

Gary

Last edited by GME; 05-13-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast