Newbie PRO4896 Cutting Melamine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRO4896 Cutting Melamine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRO4896 Cutting Melamine

Sean,
    how many sheets you getting from a bit before it starts chipping the sides? Im running 3 passes at 100ipm with my current machine which is a hobby machine and belt driven and getting two sheets before it chips, ive tried speeding the ipm up on my current machine but then i dont get a smooth edge which is the ridgity issue with this machine, i received a few emails on another site they are running 400ipm at 18k with the cnrp4896 cutting melamine in two passes. Im curious as to what the machine is capable of doing with the max tool life.

Downloads
    Uploads

Make sure you are conventional cutting, and not climb cutting.
    Climb cutting will always chip melamine.

Tool life is greatly influenced by chip load. As an example, on an industrial machine, I can cut at least 30% more sheets at 800ipm then I can at 400ipm.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Make sure you are conventional cutting, and not climb cutting.
    Climb cutting will always chip melamine.

Tool life is greatly influenced by chip load. As an example, on an industrial machine, I can cut at least 30% more sheets at 800ipm then I can at 400ipm.
    im hoping to get a good setup for the crp pro4896 so when mine arrives in 4 weeks i can get running right away and not having to try and figure the best feed and speed for cutting the melamine. Not sure what this machine capable of doing, i always coventional cut.

Wisker, I haven’t noticed to tell the truth. Seldom do I cut more than one sheet of melamine. I’m usually cutting refinished birch ply for cabinet boxes. Very little demand for melamine in my shop. I get the cutters from Yonico on eBay. I just change them when the tips feel a bit rounded. My guess would be about two kitchens worth of boxes and drawers to each cutter. They are 14.50 to 14.95 depending on how many you buy at once. I’ve dealt with this store for years and am very happy with the cutters and router bits.
    Cheers
    Sean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using the 1/4 Yonico compression bits but only get two sheets before i start to see chipping out of the melamine, i still use the bits once they start chipping the melamine and i generally get 8-10 sheets of regular 3/4 particle board cut before i start seeing allot of fuzzies on the edges and degraded smooth edge. I think melamine in itself is a tough material to cut if you dont have things dialed in and get the most out of a bit.

On a side note when cutting straight 3/4in dados what is the best method? i currently have it pocket cut the dado but i find i have to monitor the width because it gets to tight after several dados and i then have to have it overcut .01-.015 to get it so its a good snug fit, is this possible due to machine
    ridgity of my current machine or the wear of the bit itself? Picture for example what i cut.
    PRO4896 Cutting Melamine-fv24jx5ijfzzigy-large-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO4896 Cutting Melamine-fv24jx5ijfzzigy-large-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd use a 3/8" downcut, one pass down the middle, followed by one on each side. If you are climb cutting, a dull bit can cause more deflection, making a tighter fit. With a conventional cut, you shouldn't see that much difference?

I have been using the 1/4 Yonico compression bits but only get two sheets before i start to see chipping out of the melamine,
    What RPM and feedrate, and how many passes? I'd make the first passes about .03" oversize, and the final pass to size. This should get you more life, and help with chipping. But if it's chipping after two sheets, you're probably cutting too slow.
    Make sure you don't climb cut, as that will chip a LOT more.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Wisker, I also would check your sheet stock for thickness consistency. I have measured more than 0.020 variations in a single bunk.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried a new bit once you see the cut size changing?

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get a quality up and down cut bit for best result with melamine at work i can cut up to 100 sheets before replacing a bit but this is on industrial machine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12