Need Help! Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro

Thread: Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro

I must be missing something.

I have a Benchtop Pro machine with 24" gantry travel and 36" long axis travel. The linear actuator for each axis is just an elongated "Z" axis. Like a dummy, I extensively used my machine without additional lubrication for nearly two years. My gantry axis, which is by far the most heavily used axis, failed and I noted that the linear slides were bone dry. I have a new actuator installed and the machine is operating again. CNCRouterParts told me that I need to use a grease gun with a needle fitting to inject grease into each of the four bearing blocks in each linear actuator every three to six months. I am to "simply" remove the dust covers, and then remove the central screw from the outside end of the dust cover for the bearing block. Then I am apply the grease gun needle fitting and inject 3-4 squirts of grease. Finally, I need to replace replace the screw and reinstall the dust covers for the actuator. OK I was able to do that to both of my long axis linear actuators. Since the gantry actuator is brand new and factory lubricated, I will defer that axis until I lubricate the machine again.

Problem is lubricating the Z axis. It was easy to expose the two top bearings of the Z axis linear acturator, remove the central screw, inject the grease, and the replace the screw. Problem is the bottom two bearing blocks are impossible for me to reach because the bottom two bearing blocks are covered the the mounting extrusion for the spindle. Here's a couple of photos:
    Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-2-jpgLubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-1-jpg

How does everyone here reach that screw? Since all the Pro machines have this Z axis, surely someone has figured this out!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-2-jpg   Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-1-jpg  
    Last edited by DonFrambach; 12-23-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro

The problem that I have is removing and replacing that small screw. I can reach it with the long needle extension of my grease gun. I'm going to look for some long reach allen wrenches. here's a photo of the grease gun:
    Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-3-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-181223-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I would replace the screws with grease fittings.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I would replace the screws with grease fittings.
    Grease fittings would be great! The screws are kind of small. (either M3 or M4)

Sorry to be so naive but could you tell me where I could learn about buying, installing, and using small grease fittings?

Downloads
    Uploads

If you know the thread size, you just screw the grease fitting in where the screw is.

Search "M4 zerk" on Ebay. They are about $10 from China.

You may need a special tip for the gun to fit the fitting.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Most auto parts stores like NAPA carry metric and US thread zerks. Mine came already installed on my FLA machine. They are cheap buy some of each either the 45 deg or 90 deg ones should work.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Most auto parts stores like NAPA carry metric and US thread zerks.
    4mm threaded zerks are very hard to find.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Try Amazon 45 deg brass Pack of 10 $15.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update:
    Long reach 2.5 mm Allen wrench on order.
    4mm grease fittings of several types on order from three sources. These fittings were not expensive so I ordered them before verifying that 4mm is the correct size.

Will continue to post updates.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have not lubricated mine at all and wondered about it recently. Their lubrication video does not go over that at all in any way. They should probably add this information for future use. It sound like a pain without the same fittings on the rest of the blocks. I am going to be adjusting the height of my router on the gantry, so I might as well do this at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI years ago when I had my BMW motorcycle I purchased a good set of T handled Metric Allen wrenches to go with the Imperial set I already owned. I use them all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same machine and have had trouble with this. I asked CNCRP for clarification and they said "On the bearing you have the top and the bottom that are red. One side has a screw in it. The hole to grease is on the opposite side."

So I've been greasing the opening on the opposite side, without the screw. It's really very hard to do, though; so hard that I've wondered if the bearings were backwards or something. I ended up assembling a weird pile of angled grease fittings together so that I can just about get the needle into that hole, but for many of the bearings I can't see it at the same time so it has to be done by feel and then just watch until I see a little grease squeezing out.

I was really hoping they'd put up a video at some point so I could see how they mean for this to be done. If someone successfully puts fittings on these or thinks of some sensible way to accomplish this and can share I'd really love to hear about it; it's the only thing about this machine that I find unsatisfactory right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dzsflw View Post
    I have the same machine and have had trouble with this. I asked CNCRP for clarification and they said "On the bearing you have the top and the bottom that are red. One side has a screw in it. The hole to grease is on the opposite side."
    Yikes!! As I understood the directions I received from CNCRP I was to remove the screw on the bearing block, instill grease through that hole, and then replace the screw. The screw is on the outside and much more accessible so the directions, as I understood them, made sense. I'll write to CNCRP for clarification.

I agree, CNCRP really should make a video!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    I must be missing something.
    How does everyone here reach that screw? Since all the Pro machines have this Z axis, surely someone has figured this out!

That's the question!! I'm in the same boat.
    I hope someone figures this out before we all have to start replacing Z-axis bearings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lubricating Z axis of Benchtop Pro-2018-02-21-15-33-07-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Old thread I know, but in case it will help someone later on, I was told something completely different by CNCRP support.

"Not much maintenance is required for your machine. The linear bearings on your axes have self-oiling cartridges that will last for over 5000 km of travel. All that is required is to apply a light machine oil along the ballscrews (insert oil nozzle under the flexible dust cover) every 3-6 months depending on use. If there is debris inside the axis, it is best to remove this. Nothing else is required."

When I asked what kind of oil to use to replenish these cartridges:

"
    They also use a light machine oil, I'd need to check with Hiwin on what it is. You would need to run your machine for close to 10 years without stopping to use up the oil that's in the cartridges."

I can only assume that a change was made in the lubrication setup between the original post here and my purchase 2 months ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by retrosmith View Post
    Old thread I know, but in case it will help someone later on, I was told something completely different by CNCRP support.

"Not much maintenance is required for your machine. The linear bearings on your axes have self-oiling cartridges that will last for over 5000 km of travel. All that is required is to apply a light machine oil along the ballscrews (insert oil nozzle under the flexible dust cover) every 3-6 months depending on use. If there is debris inside the axis, it is best to remove this. Nothing else is required."

When I asked what kind of oil to use to replenish these cartridges:

"
    They also use a light machine oil, I'd need to check with Hiwin on what it is. You would need to run your machine for close to 10 years without stopping to use up the oil that's in the cartridges."

I can only assume that a change was made in the lubrication setup between the original post here and my purchase 2 months ago.
    Glad to see this mystery deepen further. Is yours a Benchtop Pro? Is it perchance one that you just got this year? There are indications that they made some design changes recently, maybe that would explain the discrepancy.

I was explicitly instructed not to do anything to the ballscrews, which surprised me. Now I'm wondering if I should be doing something to those in addition to the rail bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dzsflw View Post
    Glad to see this mystery deepen further. Is yours a Benchtop Pro? Is it perchance one that you just got this year? There are indications that they made some design changes recently, maybe that would explain the discrepancy.
    It is, the 2436 model, and yes I just took possession a couple of weeks back.

To go one more level on the mystery: despite having been told to use "a light machine oil" on the ballscrews, they came to me with red grease. ?

Downloads
    Uploads

CNCRP/AVID just made a video demonstrating how to lube the Z-axis!!!!

here's a link: