PRO 4896 Nema 23 Enough?

Thread: PRO 4896 Nema 23 Enough?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PRO 4896 Nema 23 Enough?

I would like to order a PRO 4X8 for a hobby machine to cut mostly wood and perhaps dabble in making a few bucks here and there. Talking to CNC Router parts they thought that Nema 23 motors would be fine. I'm also impressed they did not want to up sell me. I hate buying twice and have zero experience with a router CNC.
    My question is...... Has anyone wished they would have upgraded to the Nema 34s? Is it just a matter of speed or will I have a better cut taking more bite? Can the machine even use that much of a motor? It appears it is about a $1200 more now or $2600 later. Reading the forum it seems that the majority go with the bigger motor. Maybe because they use it in a profession? I would pay it if it would be a benefit, and hold off on the Aspire software upgrade. I appreciate the help.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Squatch; 09-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRO 4896 Nema 23 Enough?

I have the Nema23's and I haven't run into a situation where I wanted the 34's or thought I needed them as a Hobby user. I was cutting 1/2" plywood with a 1/4" bit at 120 with a 1/4" pass and had zero issues. I kept increasing the speed to about 140 when I started seeing chattering and backed it off. My opinion, and take it for what it's worth, is the software might come in more handy. I didn't care too much about the speed since I'm using it just for a hobby.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd go with Nema 34's.
    In addition to faster rapids, you can make deeper cuts, and higher acceleration, which can make a big difference.

I was cutting 1/2" plywood with a 1/4" bit at 120 with a 1/4" pass and had zero issues. I kept increasing the speed to about 140 when I started seeing chattering and backed it off.
    Fwiw, I cut faster than this on my plywood and skate bearing machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

My Pro4824 has Nema 23 and is strictly a hobby machine although I do occasionally cut pieces for sale. I have no problems cutting 150 to 300 ipm depending on the material. I cut mdf, hdpe, pine, walnut but mostly red oak. I also engrave soapstone, alum & glass. I'm usually not in a rush with my projects. If I were doing commercial work I would go with the 34s. I've never had a problem or wished I had more speed in the 2 years of owning my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Me too. I have a 24x48 Standard machine with the 23's. No issues or regrets. I am a hobbyist. Mostly mdf, plywood, hard wood, a little brass/Al, a few circuit boards, slate, plastic, etc. Oh, Bosch 1617 bit spinner. Great setup for me anyway. The 34's wouldn't make any difference for me. I'd spend the money on bits and materials!

I must admit, I have never been brave enough to go 300ipm! I stay around 125 or less at around 1/4" max depth or less depending on the cutter. I've broken a few bits, but usually because i rammed them into the spoil board - oops!

Since you are new to this - don't discount dust collection.

Enjoy your new toy!

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goonk View Post

Since you are new to this - don't discount dust collection.

Enjoy your new toy!

Tony
    I have a cyclone dust collector in place for the future CNC. I just need to bring some pipe to it.

Thanks for the replies guys. This makes me feel better about decisions. I went through the first part of my life trying to do with smaller and perhaps under powered to save money. Just want to get it right here, and getting a machine with the right stuff!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRO 4896 Nema 23 Enough?-dust-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I went through the first part of my life trying to do with smaller and perhaps under powered to save money.
    And you're doing the same thing here.

The end users expectations play a huge roll in what is "good enough" with a hobby CNC machine.

People are constantly asking questions here that are difficult to answer, because the answer depends on your expectations.
    While plenty of people are certainly happy with Nema 23 motors on a 4x8, it doesn't really matter if they are or not.
    All that matters is if you'll be happy with them, and nobody can really answer that except you.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I did go with the Nema 23 motors. They seem to adequate for me at this juncture.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I run 570oz nema23 it can do 800 inch/min rapid but i had to do it again id spend extra bucks on close loop stepper instead

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a CNC Routerparts Standard 4896 with Nema34. I routinely cut ply wood at 200-360ipm, and rapid at 1200IPM. I surface my table with a 2inch bottom cutter at 18k RPM at 400IPM.